Help with maintenance/first bike!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Help with maintenance/first bike!

Hey! I am new to this forum as well as cycling. I have been looking to get a road bike for a while now and I plan to ride it as much as possible. I was looking to get a Fuji Roubaix 2.0 from here: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...92008__1692008 .
    The price is just right for me and I rode the bike and loved it! My only delay in buying it is wondering about maintenance. I know if I buy the bike from them I will have have a one time charge of maintenance that lasts for about two years. The problem with this is that I live about an hour away from the nearest Performance Bike shop (I am in NJ and the nearest is in PA), I am also going to be moving even further from the nearest shop very soon, almost 2 hours away from it. How often would I go for maintenance? How many miles? If it is not often at all I do not mind. But if it is...

That bike is the perfect one I found for my price range and no local bike store has a sale like that. If I have to go to the store for maintenance often, does anyone know of a bike store around Bergen County NJ that I may be able to buy some kind of deal for maintenance (like the performance bike deal)? Please help, I really just want to get the bike and start riding!

Thank you very much!

PS. Apparently there will be a 30% store credit reward deal for in store purchases this weekend. So on a $900 bike, I will basically be getting my helmet and other accessories for free, which is another bonus...
    Last edited by Dimitri123; 06-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an older Fuji Roubaix, and it's been a great bike.

The best single piece of advice I would give anyone is to invest in a simple toolkit and learn to maintain the bike yourself.

Zinn's book is good, and there's plenty of free advice online - Park Tool site is an example, plus lots of youtube videos.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    There really is not that much to do to keep your bike working well. Get a good pump and some other basic tools. Learn how to do a few basic jobs, (changing a tire, oiling chain, checking bolt torque, etc) you can avoid a lot of the major jobs just by regularly doing the basic stuff.

Also some of the bike shops here do free workshops on bike maintenance, might be worth looking into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Maintenance needs vary by rider.

If you know how to adjust bearings, you don't ever need to go to a shop. I still go for things that I need infrequently and require a special tool. Probably I drop off a bike about once a year.

If you never even learn to maintain your drivetrain (some riders, shocking to me) you'll need to drop off your bike on the order of every 100 miles.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I don't see a real choice re: maintaining bikes. I think anyone who rides with any regularity/ logs appreciable miles, pretty much has to (at some level) depend on themselves to maintain their bike.

At what level would be dictated by motivation, aptitude, environmentals... but between the wait time (equating to downtime) and labor costs, I've done my own work for the past 21 years.

With the increased use of cartridge bearings, in some instances maintenance is less than it used to be, and with the internet and some of the resources already mentioned above, getting started with the lower level (but more frequent) maintenance is fairly easy for most.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I have an older Fuji Roubaix, and it's been a great bike.

The best single piece of advice I would give anyone is to invest in a simple toolkit and learn to maintain the bike yourself.

Zinn's book is good, and there's plenty of free advice online - Park Tool site is an example, plus lots of youtube videos.
    The book is good advice that I continue to ignore. If I'd bought and just skimmed the major sections it would have prevented several minor but irritating problems. Didn't know when you change pedals that it's REALLY important to put a little grease on the threads and get them on very tightly. Felt tight to me when I did it, but after 50 or 100 miles started this annoying clicking.... Figuring that out is how I found this place!

Just last week my rear derailleur started acting up, so during a rest stop found what I figured out later was the cable tension adjustment, saw that it looked a little "loose" so "tightened" it all the way down. Now I know that I loosened the cable tension, and since the problem was just a bit of normal cable stretch that needed a half turn or so of TIGHTENING to fix, I made a slightly annoying problem a huge headache for the rest of the ride.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri123 View Post
    PS. Apparently there will be a 30% store credit reward deal for in store purchases this weekend. So on a $900 bike, I will basically be getting my helmet and other accessories for free, which is another bonus...
    This is a great weekend to buy a bike from Performance. I would really recommened signing up for the Team Membership. You earn 10% in points on all purchaces and this weekend they have tripple points. Hmmm I guess that's where the 30% store credit comes from. The membership costs $30 but well worth it since you'll earn $270 in points.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    I don't see a real choice re: maintaining bikes. I think anyone who rides with any regularity/ logs appreciable miles, pretty much has to (at some level) depend on themselves to maintain their bike.
    ^^^^^ This

vvvvvvv Because of this
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Just last week my rear derailleur started acting up, so during a rest stop found what I figured out later was the cable tension adjustment, saw that it looked a little "loose" so "tightened" it all the way down. Now I know that I loosened the cable tension, and since the problem was just a bit of normal cable stretch that needed a half turn or so of TIGHTENING to fix, I made a slightly annoying problem a huge headache for the rest of the ride.
    At a minimum you need to know how to change a tube and clean/lube your chain.
    If you learn how to adjust your derailleurs and brakes you'll cover 90% of all maintenance and be able to resolve most roadside issues.. Both are relatively easy for anyone with basic mechanical aptitude. There are books as mentioned. Park Tool has great how to's and just about everything you want to know is in a youtube video.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    ask them to show you how to clean the drive train, change a flat and make some adjustments like adjusting the breaks and trimming the derailurs.

other maintenance is probably far less frequent -- depending on how much you are riding you'll take it in for 1-2 full tune ups / year