Help a new guy with a Trainer & Cycle Computer

May 2009

Help a new guy with a Trainer & Cycle Computer

Hey guys. I recently bought a Giant OCR1 and started riding. I am very new to road bikes but I have enjoyed the bike so far. I am mainly interested in general fitness and trying to stay in shape. Due to my work schedule, I am not getting to ride as much as I would like so I am looking for either a trainer or rollers so I can ride late at night. I have read all of the pros and cons to each and it seems like I would be better off going with a Kurt Kinetics trainer at least at this point. I am a little nervous about the rollers and me being fairly new to clipless pedals and road bikes in general. Does this seem like the right call?

The above decision affects how I go with a cycle computer also. I would like to get one that includes heart rate monitoring. I liked the looks of the Polar CS200 but I don't think it will work with the speed sensor on the rear wheel. I am assuming that someone makes one that has a rear wheel sensor for about the same money but I have not found it yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

All or Nothing Baby!!!
    I bought a cycle computer that mounts to the front wheel for $22, then a heart rate monitor $25, then a computer just for my trainer (mounts to trainer and to rear wheel, then computer to handlebars) $25. I just wish i had bought a cycle computer to monitor cadence.

all this was from Nashbar, you can usually find some good deals if you signup for there e-mails.
    Zoom This!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Wrong call

Quote Originally Posted by whitlecj
    I am a little nervous about the rollers and me being fairly new to clipless pedals and road bikes in general. Does this seem like the right call?
    Generally, no. You will get FAR more benefit from developing the skills while riding rollers. You start out in a doorway (no way you can fall over) and in a very few sessions, you can ride the rollers without problems. Ours are next to a wall so you always can just put your shoulder on the wall if you get sideways. Plus, that solves your rear wheel sensor issue.

May 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys. I should have waited a little longer for your responses I guess. I went ahead and bought the Kurt Kinetics trainer and a Garmin 305 ($150 from ebay). Everything is set to arrive today. I guess rollers will be my next purchase. I was anxious as it has already gotten very hot where I ride (93 yesterday) and I only get to ride in the afternoons so I wanted to get something on the way so I could ride. I have a couple of 12 mile rides under my belt, but the heat has been brutal. I am hoping to get up to the 20-30 mile rides pretty soon. We'll see how it turns out.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    That's a shame. Kerry was right about the rollers. You can get a great workout on either, but your skill level really elevates quickly by using rollers. They FORCE you to develop a rounder pedal stroke, to ride more smoothly, balance better, and to ride in a straight line. Combined, this amounts to being a more efficient rider, who's able to handle his bike better than average. With the trainer you get an aerobic workout. Period.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

May 2009
    Looks like I will definitely be investing in a set then. Can't hurt to have both and use both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both as well, a KK trainer and Kreitler rollers. If all you want is a pure workout on the bike then you can't go wrong with the trainer. Don't be surprised though if you ride outside after a couple of months and can't hold a line to save your life.