Just getting started
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Just getting started

Heya,

I'm just getting into the sport, both for enjoyment and to try and get myself back into shape, so I had a few questions I'm hoping I can get some answers/advice on.

1. How does losing weight effect the bike? I've been reading a lot today and understand that fit is everything. If I get fit for a bike while I'm at 205 lbs, get a comfortable saddle, etc...am I going to have to redo things when I get down to my goal weight (170ish)...or will the bike still be good for me. I'm guessing things will be fine, but figured I'd make sure.

2. My finances aren't the best right now, so although I would love to get a road bike to start out with, I'm stuck with my S60 DSX Mountain Bike right now. I only ride on roads right now, so I was wondering...would putting road wheels on the MB be a good idea? I probably won't be able to afford a new bike for 3-6 months I'm guessing (unless I find a money tree...been looking), so I'm just trying to figure out what I can do (cheaply) to get by on what I have right now.

Any other suggestions you might have to make a MB feel more like a Road Bike for the interim would be welcome as well .

3. My butt hurts! I just got this bike from Walmart a few years ago. Never got it fitted or anything like that. Can I take a cheap bike like this to a local shop and have them fit it? I don't even know if it's the right size for me or not, but I can't afford a new one right now.

4. New saddle. I'm planning on getting a new saddle and am steering more towards some gel cushioned ones with springs, is this a good idea since I'm a beginner...or should I aim for a more firm seat? My main issue right now is just comfort, and since I can't afford a new bike...changing cheapish components is really the only option I have right now.

Any other advice you might have for my situation, don't know if I'm missing anything, sure I'll think of something else later though.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Staxed View Post
    Heya,

I'm just getting into the sport, both for enjoyment and to try and get myself back into shape, so I had a few questions I'm hoping I can get some answers/advice on.

1. How does losing weight effect the bike? I've been reading a lot today and understand that fit is everything. If I get fit for a bike while I'm at 205 lbs, get a comfortable saddle, etc...am I going to have to redo things when I get down to my goal weight (170ish)...or will the bike still be good for me. I'm guessing things will be fine, but figured I'd make sure.
    You're right, fit is everything. But before fit, comes sizing and unless you're going to grow or shrink as you lose weight, your sizing requirements aren't going to change. What will change is your fit, due both to weight loss and improved fitness, so tweaks to fit will likely be required. Not at all uncommon, so don't sweat it.

2. My finances aren't the best right now, so although I would love to get a road bike to start out with, I'm stuck with my S60 DSX Mountain Bike right now. I only ride on roads right now, so I was wondering...would putting road wheels on the MB be a good idea? I probably won't be able to afford a new bike for 3-6 months I'm guessing (unless I find a money tree...been looking), so I'm just trying to figure out what I can do (cheaply) to get by on what I have right now.
    Sure, you can get slicks (or similar) that'll smooth the ride on paved surfaces, but be realistic in your expectations, because the rest of the bike (along with fit, ride and handling) remains the same. It's a mtn bike and always will be a mtn bike.

Any other suggestions you might have to make a MB feel more like a Road Bike for the interim would be welcome as well .
    I'll stay with my answer above.

3. My butt hurts! I just got this bike from Walmart a few years ago. Never got it fitted or anything like that. Can I take a cheap bike like this to a local shop and have them fit it? I don't even know if it's the right size for me or not, but I can't afford a new one right now.
    Sure, you can seek out a reputable shop/ fitter and ask for a standard fitting, but (to repeat) temper your expectations here, especially if sizing is off 'some', because no fitter can work a miracle on a bike that isn't sized correctly for a rider. The better fitters will tell the customer upfront that the bike isn't the correct size, opting out if the fitting.

4. New saddle. I'm planning on getting a new saddle and am steering more towards some gel cushioned ones with springs, is this a good idea since I'm a beginner...or should I aim for a more firm seat? My main issue right now is just comfort, and since I can't afford a new bike...changing cheapish components is really the only option I have right now.
    My advice is to address this when you visit the LBS for a fitting. Ideally, purchase the saddle at the time of the fitting.

More than you'll ever want to know on the topic of saddles here:
    A Comfortable Bicycle Saddle

Any other advice you might have for my situation, don't know if I'm missing anything, sure I'll think of something else later though.
    If at all possible financially, consider a used road bike. The cost of a fitting for either the road bike or your MTB is a wash, but I think there's a possibility that even a low buck, used road bike will better suite your needs than your MTB will, even after dropping more money into it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Just as before, thanks for the awesome information...really appreciate it!

I'll certainly be checking craigslist every now and then, and maybe put in a mention about needing a bike at the local shop (once I find one). Though, not expecting much...just got back into the job (and not a good one at that yet) after 10 months of unemployment...so a new bike might be a while, even if it's cheap.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Just as before, thanks for the awesome information...really appreciate it!

I'll certainly be checking craigslist every now and then, and maybe put in a mention about needing a bike at the local shop (once I find one). Though, not expecting much...just got back into the job (and not a good one at that yet) after 10 months of unemployment...so a new bike might be a while, even if it's cheap.
    Understood. Good idea asking around about used offerings in your area. If you have any bike coops that would be an option as well.

Good luck, and update us if/ when things progress.