• 01-15-2020
    LukeW
    1 Attachment(s)
    KGs... They all "LOOK" so similar!
    Hey all. I was hoping someone could help me ID this LOOK KG's exact model number.

Obviously very abused and someone went crazy with paint and removed decals etc... My guess is a KG 381 but I'm unsure.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Luke
  • 01-15-2020
    ROAD&DIRT
    My thoughts.... Its STOLEN.... stay away!
  • 01-15-2020
    LukeW
    Stolen? Likely true.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    My thoughts.... Its STOLEN.... stay away!

Iím sure it was. Found it online at a police auction. Tempted to support my local PD.
  • 01-16-2020
    pmf
    That thing doesn't even look safe to ride.
  • 01-16-2020
    LukeW
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmf View Post

Yep. definitely needs some serious maintenance... not to mention a rear brake caliper!

$88 (after 9% tax and 10% "auction premium" ??? ) though... I think it's worth putting some effort into.
  • 01-16-2020
    pmf
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeW View Post
    Yep. definitely needs some serious maintenance... not to mention a rear brake caliper!

$88 (after 9% tax and 10% "auction premium" ??? ) though... I think it's worth putting some effort into.

Have you heard the saying 'polishing a turd'? You can probably go to your local dump and find a bike more worthy of wasting some money on. Look at some used bikes that haven't spent time in the ghetto.
  • 01-16-2020
    ROAD&DIRT
    Quote:

By all means, go ahead and spend your money on a turd, just remember once a turd always turd... just tell me when your out riding it so I know where to send the Ambulance... oh and by the words CX.... Dibs on all your stuff!
  • 01-16-2020
    LukeW
    Here I thought this forum was for those who loved cycling and had a passion for what they loved.

While I appreciate frank advice (regarding polishing a turd) I haven't received a single word towards the question I posed.

Yes... this bike will be a lot of work and I am looking forward to the project.

No... I do not feel the least bit bad rescuing this orphan who was once stolen from their loving parent and somehow ended up in the foster home of Police Auction. I will restore it to health, take good care of it, and should the day ever come that I somehow find out who it belonged to, gladly return it. Just as I would hope someone who came across the bike I had stolen would do for me.

Register your bikes people... it's the only way the police can get it back to you.

I'm saddened this forum isn't the place I thought it was.

Good day.
  • 01-16-2020
    Marc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmf View Post

Tires are only flat on the bottom
  • 01-17-2020
    ROAD&DIRT
    Quote:

Here I thought this forum was for those who loved cycling and had a passion for what they loved.

While I appreciate frank advice (regarding polishing a turd) I haven't received a single word towards the question I posed.

Yes... this bike will be a lot of work and I am looking forward to the project.

No... I do not feel the least bit bad rescuing this orphan who was once stolen from their loving parent and somehow ended up in the foster home of Police Auction. I will restore it to health, take good care of it, and should the day ever come that I somehow find out who it belonged to, gladly return it. Just as I would hope someone who came across the bike I had stolen would do for me.

Register your bikes people... it's the only way the police can get it back to you.

I'm saddened this forum isn't the place I thought it was.

Good day.

Quote:

Hey all. I was hoping someone could help me ID this LOOK KG's exact model number.

Obviously very abused and someone went crazy with paint and removed decals etc... My guess is a KG 381 but I'm unsure.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Luke

Well the question that was asked was "what are your thoughts?"... I think we all did a pretty good job of answering the questing.

You got to have pretty thick skin if you want to stick around here... :D
  • 01-18-2020
    kiwisimon
    Quote:

Iím sure it was. Found it online at a police auction. Tempted to support my local PD.

go and have a look and post serial numbers. I suspect as much as you think it's a good project bike, it might have been in the projects too long and you will be throwing good money after bad.
  • 01-18-2020
    barryandjanetwil
    Look have always made desirable bikes so unless it is truly damaged it will be a great project.

I suspect many of the earlier comments are from the "cycling is the new golf" fraternity who all ride super glossy, cost a packet, 2020 bikes and who go to the LBS to have gears indexed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  • 01-18-2020
    Rashadabd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barryandjanetwil View Post
    Look have always made desirable bikes so unless it is truly damaged it will be a great project.

I suspect many of the earlier comments are from the "cycling is the new golf" fraternity who all ride super glossy, cost a packet, 2020 bikes and who go to the LBS to have gears indexed.

Amen. 90% of this was so unnecessary.
  • 01-21-2020
    LukeW
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barryandjanetwil View Post

Agreed... and thanks for the encouragement.

It has been fully disassembled minus a stuck Cane Creek S2 headset (going to be carefully using the "dremel removal method") and the Hollowtech II bottom bracket ( $6 wrench showing up today). Have the HVLP sprayer ready... though still researching best cleaning/prep methods for the carbon fiber (some exposed and some painted).

Creating a new thread for those who want to follow. "A KG's Road to Recovery"
  • 01-22-2020
    terbennett
    Quote:

Agreed... and thanks for the encouragement.

It has been fully disassembled minus a stuck Cane Creek S2 headset (going to be carefully using the "dremel removal method") and the Hollowtech II bottom bracket ( $6 wrench showing up today). Have the HVLP sprayer ready... though still researching best cleaning/prep methods for the carbon fiber (some exposed and some painted).

Creating a new thread for those who want to follow. "A KG's Road to Recovery"

I am going to be following your thread. KGs are still amazing bikes, IMO. glad to see you saving one of these epic bikes.