KGs... They all "LOOK" so similar!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020

KGs... They all "LOOK" so similar!

Hey all. I was hoping someone could help me ID this LOOK KG's exact model number.

Obviously very abused and someone went crazy with paint and removed decals etc... My guess is a KG 381 but I'm unsure.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Luke
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never Give Up!
    My thoughts.... Its STOLEN.... stay away!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020

Stolen? Likely true.

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    My thoughts.... Its STOLEN.... stay away!
    Iím sure it was. Found it online at a police auction. Tempted to support my local PD.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    That thing doesn't even look safe to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yep. definitely needs some serious maintenance... not to mention a rear brake caliper!

$88 (after 9% tax and 10% "auction premium" ??? ) though... I think it's worth putting some effort into.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeW View Post
    Yep. definitely needs some serious maintenance... not to mention a rear brake caliper!

$88 (after 9% tax and 10% "auction premium" ??? ) though... I think it's worth putting some effort into.
    Have you heard the saying 'polishing a turd'? You can probably go to your local dump and find a bike more worthy of wasting some money on. Look at some used bikes that haven't spent time in the ghetto.

Never Give Up!

By all means, go ahead and spend your money on a turd, just remember once a turd always turd... just tell me when your out riding it so I know where to send the Ambulance... oh and by the words CX.... Dibs on all your stuff!

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Here I thought this forum was for those who loved cycling and had a passion for what they loved.

While I appreciate frank advice (regarding polishing a turd) I haven't received a single word towards the question I posed.

Yes... this bike will be a lot of work and I am looking forward to the project.

No... I do not feel the least bit bad rescuing this orphan who was once stolen from their loving parent and somehow ended up in the foster home of Police Auction. I will restore it to health, take good care of it, and should the day ever come that I somehow find out who it belonged to, gladly return it. Just as I would hope someone who came across the bike I had stolen would do for me.

Register your bikes people... it's the only way the police can get it back to you.

I'm saddened this forum isn't the place I thought it was.

Good day.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post

Tires are only flat on the bottom
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Never Give Up!
    Here I thought this forum was for those who loved cycling and had a passion for what they loved.

While I appreciate frank advice (regarding polishing a turd) I haven't received a single word towards the question I posed.

Yes... this bike will be a lot of work and I am looking forward to the project.

No... I do not feel the least bit bad rescuing this orphan who was once stolen from their loving parent and somehow ended up in the foster home of Police Auction. I will restore it to health, take good care of it, and should the day ever come that I somehow find out who it belonged to, gladly return it. Just as I would hope someone who came across the bike I had stolen would do for me.

Register your bikes people... it's the only way the police can get it back to you.

I'm saddened this forum isn't the place I thought it was.

Good day.
    Hey all. I was hoping someone could help me ID this LOOK KG's exact model number.

Obviously very abused and someone went crazy with paint and removed decals etc... My guess is a KG 381 but I'm unsure.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Luke
    Well the question that was asked was "what are your thoughts?"... I think we all did a pretty good job of answering the questing.

You got to have pretty thick skin if you want to stick around here...

2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iím sure it was. Found it online at a police auction. Tempted to support my local PD.
    go and have a look and post serial numbers. I suspect as much as you think it's a good project bike, it might have been in the projects too long and you will be throwing good money after bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Look have always made desirable bikes so unless it is truly damaged it will be a great project.

I suspect many of the earlier comments are from the "cycling is the new golf" fraternity who all ride super glossy, cost a packet, 2020 bikes and who go to the LBS to have gears indexed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by barryandjanetwil View Post
    Look have always made desirable bikes so unless it is truly damaged it will be a great project.

I suspect many of the earlier comments are from the "cycling is the new golf" fraternity who all ride super glossy, cost a packet, 2020 bikes and who go to the LBS to have gears indexed.

Amen. 90% of this was so unnecessary.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by barryandjanetwil View Post

Agreed... and thanks for the encouragement.

It has been fully disassembled minus a stuck Cane Creek S2 headset (going to be carefully using the "dremel removal method") and the Hollowtech II bottom bracket ( $6 wrench showing up today). Have the HVLP sprayer ready... though still researching best cleaning/prep methods for the carbon fiber (some exposed and some painted).

Creating a new thread for those who want to follow. "A KG's Road to Recovery"
    Last edited by LukeW; 01-21-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding link

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed... and thanks for the encouragement.

It has been fully disassembled minus a stuck Cane Creek S2 headset (going to be carefully using the "dremel removal method") and the Hollowtech II bottom bracket ( $6 wrench showing up today). Have the HVLP sprayer ready... though still researching best cleaning/prep methods for the carbon fiber (some exposed and some painted).

Creating a new thread for those who want to follow. "A KG's Road to Recovery"
    I am going to be following your thread. KGs are still amazing bikes, IMO. glad to see you saving one of these epic bikes.