• 07-29-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Looking to get my first "real" bike
    I have been looking at 3 different options for bikes. Please help!

Choice 1:
    Kestrel Evoke 3.0 Carbon Road Bikes
    Full Shimano 105 5800 22 Speed

Choice 2: Interval Carbon Elite

Choice 3: 2015 Wilier GTS (Red/Black) with 11-speed Ultegra

I am looking for more of an endurance bike. I get 40% off of Diamondback and 30% off Wilier prices through work

Please let me know if anyone needs extra info.
  • 07-30-2015
    Shuffleman
    Your choices:
    Kestrel Evoke
    DB Interval Carbon Elite
    Wilier GTS

These are some interesting choices. They are all good bikes but I am not sure what the DB is doing in there with the Evoke or GTS as it is a flat bar road bike.
    The Wilier and the Evoke are similar in that they are more of a race oriented geometry. This begs to question:
    What is your intended use? Style of riding? These are pretty important things for us to know in order to assist you better. Have you ridden any of them yet? If you have ridden the Evoke and the Wilier and like them both than I personally would go with the Wilier. That is a gorgeous bike. I have no experience with that Kestrel but I have some with the GTS. It is a great bike.
    Can you also get discounts on the Izoard? You may want to look at that and the GTS. The Izoard has more of an endurance geometry. It may be good to compare and contrast the 2.
  • 07-30-2015
    obed
    just out of curiosity,what makes you think you want more of an endurance geometry?
    nothing wrong with that at all, I love my Domane. It is just that I know folks who thought that is what they wanted from reading reviews and folks on line, but when they actually test rode them, they chose something else...
    I would suggest actually riding a few and get the one that actually feels best to you... and get a fit.
  • 07-30-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffleman View Post
    Your choices:
    Kestrel Evoke
    DB Interval Carbon Elite
    Wilier GTS

These are some interesting choices. They are all good bikes but I am not sure what the DB is doing in there with the Evoke or GTS as it is a flat bar road bike.
    The Wilier and the Evoke are similar in that they are more of a race oriented geometry. This begs to question:
    What is your intended use? Style of riding? These are pretty important things for us to know in order to assist you better. Have you ridden any of them yet? If you have ridden the Evoke and the Wilier and like them both than I personally would go with the Wilier. That is a gorgeous bike. I have no experience with that Kestrel but I have some with the GTS. It is a great bike.
    Can you also get discounts on the Izoard? You may want to look at that and the GTS. The Izoard has more of an endurance geometry. It may be good to compare and contrast the 2.

Well I am 6' and about 217 (still working on losing more weight)
    I use a bike now that has flat handlebars with bar ends. I enjoy hilly courses with just pavement. Regretfully in Green Bay WI there is limited options when it comes to local dealers. The closest thing I was able to ride was a Specialized bike (no discounts). As far as discounts go its just Wilier and DB. :(

Thank you so much for your help!!
  • 07-30-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Well I am hoping to get a bike that further distance with good hill (pavement) climbing ability.

Side note - Is it typical from going to the flat handle to the under/curved handle (not sure what they are called) to be twitchy or real sensitive to movement because of the closer proximity to the center of the bike?
  • 07-30-2015
    eugenetsang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyldfyre911 View Post
    II get 40% off of Diamondback and 30% off Wilier prices through work.

40% off on wilier and DB? DB Podium VITESSE is pretty good. Bike retails over $4k.

In any case. Using the 40% off as leverage.... You have tons of options. Pending your budget.
  • 07-30-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Well 40% on DB and 30% On Wilier. My actual budget is about $1200
  • 07-30-2015
    eugenetsang
    Quote:

this is how I see it... Cycling as a hobby can be super expensive. Using myself as an example, I've made tons of mistakes when I first got into the hobby. I ended up having/selling 3 bicycles, before keeping something I was "happy" with (because we all know, year after year... Something better will be out. And also keeping up with the Jones').

Think long and hard with the type of "riding" you will get yourself into. Whether it be cruising around the block on a weekly basis, or riding 30+ miles with climbs and etc... That will all dictate what type of bicycle you will end up buying. Not to mention the other complicated things, such as groupsets and etc.

When I got into the hobby... I didn't think nor did I have the luxury of having someone teach me the little things of "cycling". I ended up buy a "bike" that i thought would work... It did. But only for me to out grow it 6 months later. It happened to me 3 times total. I bought bikes that didn't fit my regiment.... and ended up selling them (for a loss) so i can finally have a bike that fits my "needs".

I guess what I am trying to say is... Think long and hard with your goals and objectives. Buy once and even spend a little more than your budget allows that fit your goals...

Otherwise, like myself, you could potentially lose out of a decent amount of money by buying bikes that dont fit your needs....

If i had known earlier... I would have gone all in with my first bike... Buy a higher end bike with everything that i wanted (from factory) and call it a day... Instead, it was trial and error... i wasted more money than I really should have...
  • 07-30-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Thank you so much for the insight! You are saying what I am trying to avoid... Trying to make the most educated decision I can...

I really would like to trim my weight down to goal and then start to enter in local small races to see how I can match in. Though my favorite type of riding is the longer rides with some nice hills to power though :)

So without a website that rates all the different brands and bikes equally out there Im trying the best I can to pick the brains of those (you) I can. Again I really appreciate all your thoughts and time regarding this matter.
  • 07-30-2015
    eugenetsang
    Quote:

Thank you so much for the insight! You are saying what I am trying to avoid... Trying to make the most educated decision I can...

I really would like to trim my weight down to goal and then start to enter in local small races to see how I can match in. Though my favorite type of riding is the longer rides with some nice hills to power though :)

So without a website that rates all the different brands and bikes equally out there Im trying the best I can to pick the brains of those (you) I can. Again I really appreciate all your thoughts and time regarding this matter.

No problem. I am (we're) here to help. If you have any questions, shoot away and I will try to help to the best that i can.

I am pretty familiar with DiamondBack. I actually had a few growing up (BMX) and I actually had one of their road bikes (Podium 1).

When i had gotten into Road Bikes, I actually picked up DB's Podium 1. It did the job. It was a aluminum frame with a CF fork. Running entry level shimano sora stuff. It totally did the job, until i started riding with my tri athlete friends... That's when I knew i had to get something better (component-wise)... The sora just wouldn't do it when I hit the climbs. I didn't have enough, or shall i say, right amount of gears/ratios to the job done...

At 6" @ 217... You could go with a carbon frame. You're "light" enough for it. Is it mandatory for you to splurge on it? probably not. But its there if you like.

Since i ride a Specialized Tarmac... I am going to compare your scenario with what I am familiar with.

With your budget and mindset... I recommend you get the Specialized Allez Comp model. It's aluminum frame with carbon forks. Runs mostly Shimano 105s. Which is a pretty good all around groupset. And can be had for around $1600...

The frame is strong and light enough to support your weight and etc.. Also can take a beating... Unlike Carbon... Carbon is pretty fragile.... Not saying its cheaply made or it will break... But its a little more delicate than aluminum...

Either way... If you were to ask me... I'd start with a frame of your liking, whether its carbon or Aluminum... then go to the groupset... if youre going to choose Shimano stuff... I'd start at the 105's and go from there...

If you like SRAM, start at Riva.l its comparable with Apex... But a few grams lighter....

for under $2000.... you can have a really good aluminum bike... And also not really having to worry about upgrading in the near future.
  • 07-30-2015
    Shuffleman
    Quote:

Well I am hoping to get a bike that further distance with good hill (pavement) climbing ability.

Side note - Is it typical from going to the flat handle to the under/curved handle (not sure what they are called) to be twitchy or real sensitive to movement because of the closer proximity to the center of the bike?

The steering on a drop bar road bike is going to be more twitchy that on a flat bar road bike. You will get used to that.
    Quote:

Well I am 6' and about 217 (still working on losing more weight)
    I use a bike now that has flat handlebars with bar ends. I enjoy hilly courses with just pavement. Regretfully in Green Bay WI there is limited options when it comes to local dealers. The closest thing I was able to ride was a Specialized bike (no discounts). As far as discounts go its just Wilier and DB. :(
    Thank you so much for your help!!

Those are both good brands. DB is more of a big box store brand and Wilier is more of a Boutique brand. They are both very good bikes though. I love Wilier and think that DB is fine but not my taste.

Quote:

Can you get a discount on other Wilier and DB's? If so, I would look at the following:
    Wilier Izoard--More endurance oriented
    Wilier GTS--More Race oriented
    DB Podium
    DB Century Carbon

These are 4 great bikes that cover both the race and endurance categories. Based on what you have said, I would lean towards recommending the Izoard to you but you really need to sit on each of them and test them out. I have ridden both Wiliers but never ridden the DB's. If you can score one of those for 30% off, you have landed a great bike for a great price.
  • 07-30-2015
    PBL450
    If you are looking to enter races you might want to consider a more race oriented geo. They will have you lower and more aero as opposed to a more relaxed geo that will have you sitting up more... In any event, you can race a relaxed bike and ride long and climbing routes with a race oriented bike.

Aluminum is is not stronger than CF btw. They are different materials, that's all. They both work great for making bike frames and are solid. Al may fatigue eventually. But that's a different thread entirely... If you are interested in mountains of information on frame material and integrity look around the forum... You can't miss it. Look for the threads with like 3,000 replies. LOL.

Thats is a sweet discount man! I'd be Willier all the way. Find their bike that's right for you and get fitted. Work with LBS on the purchase from the get, they should treat you well. If you can touch your toes without strain you can likely ride a more aggressive geo. I'm pretty flexible and I can't see riding sitting up if you can ride chin closer to bars. Especially if you live somewhere that will throw serious headwinds at you.

Everyone on on this board tells you to test ride, test ride, test ride... And that great advice. But if you are very new and don't have cycling musculature, saddle time, an idea of how you will use the bike and the like, I don't think it matters as much as working with your LBS to get you onto a bike that will serve your current and longer term interests... I mean, sitting bolt upright might feel great? But if you can bend at the waist and palm the floor why would you want to ride like a sail into the wind?

Keep us posted and good luck!
  • 07-30-2015
    professionalsql
    Quote:

Yes it is both in terms of where your weight is and the flat bar is usually a bit wider where you're grabbing it (changes leverage). Unless racing, down hilling, or just trying to push it, most non-racers will tend to stay "on the hoods" a fair percentage of the time. This means the hoods of the brakes are generally between your thumb and index finger - particularly until you get more core strength built up. That will still be twitchy vs. a flat bar when you first start, but not as much so as being "on the drops". When your using your drop bars, you'll tend to have more weight at your hands, so slight adjustments tend to get magnified until you learn to adjust.
  • 07-31-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Thank you for the input! That makes sense now that you mention it that way. Also thank you for the terminology ;)

So when I start using a drop bar bike the more I use it and build skill the easier it will be.
  • 07-31-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Thank you for your insight here. Even though I am heavier 217.. I have Ehlors-Danlos Syndrome which makes me extremely flexible which is why I chose biking. Jogging and running take their toll on my knees. Since I am fairly new to the higher end bike market. I can tell you this. On my current bike I can do 20 miles in about 1.5 hours. Though on my shorter exercise routes I average about 14.5 to 15 mph on my hilly course.
  • 07-31-2015
    professionalsql
    Quote:

So when I start using a drop bar bike the more I use it and build skill the easier it will be.

Exactly.

You'll rarely want to be in the drops if you're going slow - such as climbing a hill, approaching a stoplight, or just puttering around - you'll sit up a little higher and ride the hoods instead.

Here's a GCN video on bar position. He conveys things pretty well - although, when moving slowly, I disagree with the drops having the most control. They definitely do at higher speeds (such as sprinting or downhilling). Also, note that the aerodynamic factor becomes much less relevant as speed decreases. Given your size, figure you can largely ignore the aero factor below 10-12ish MPH of oncoming airflow (headwind plus your moving speed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ADO9pC1BY
  • 07-31-2015
    eugenetsang
    Quote:

Thank you for your insight here. Even though I am heavier 217.. I have Ehlors-Danlos Syndrome which makes me extremely flexible which is why I chose biking. Jogging and running take their toll on my knees. Since I am fairly new to the higher end bike market. I can tell you this. On my current bike I can do 20 miles in about 1.5 hours. Though on my shorter exercise routes I average about 14.5 to 15 mph on my hilly course.

Like the previous poster had said. Test ride. That is the only way to know what type of bicycle will best suit your needs/fit. Then, sleep on it and let it mellow. Think about your overall goals and what you will want to achieve.

From there, buy once... Heck, even spend a little more than your budget allows (if possible)! Because if you start with a lower end model, constantly upgrading parts could cost more than buying a bike with all the upgrades pre-installed from factory.

Anymore questions? Let us know!
  • 07-31-2015
    PBL450
    Quote:

I'm no expert... Maybe some who are will jump on... But if you have the flexibility I'd go with the more aggressive geometry. Comfort geo is mostly about your lower back. Why sit up if you are equally comfortable lower? Then, if you start to enter races you have the bike for it with no downside on longer rides? And 30% off on a Willier is awesome!

You could get into this with SRAM Force. You will never need a single upgrade forever...

GTR Team | Wilier Triestina S.p.a
  • 07-31-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Well specifically

Willier 30% off:

• 2015 Wilier Zero9 (Fluo Yellow) with 11-speed Ultegra
    • 2015 Wilier GTS (Red/Black) with 11-speed Ultegra

the Zero 9 is way to much out of my range at this point. The GTS is the one I was checking out.
  • 07-31-2015
    Shuffleman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post

The GTR is awesome and the color pattern with that Green and Black is hot. The GTR is not available in the States though. Thus, it is the GTS.
    Quote:

Well specifically

Willier 30% off:

• 2015 Wilier Zero9 (Fluo Yellow) with 11-speed Ultegra
    • 2015 Wilier GTS (Red/Black) with 11-speed Ultegra

the Zero 9 is way to much out of my range at this point. The GTS is the one I was checking out.

The Zero 9 is a fantastic bike but I did not suggest it as it was out of your stated budget. The Izoard and the GTS seem to be the most likely models for you. Let us know what you end up buying.
  • 07-31-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    The hardest part of trying to get these specific bikes is the fact that I have no way to test ride any of them. There isnt a single Wilier dealer in my state :(
    Should I rule out the flat bar Interval Elite?
  • 07-31-2015
    eugenetsang
    Quote:

The hardest part of trying to get these specific bikes is the fact that I have no way to test ride any of them. There isnt a single Wilier dealer in my state :(
    Should I rule out the flat bar Interval Elite?

flat bar isn't a bad route to go. If you have a family and kids, its a great bike to cruise around town with. Comfortable and relax geo to keep up with the kids/fam.

But if you're looking to get into the hobby and throw in some racing, road bike with drops will be the way to go... Otherwise... buying a flat bar, guarantee you will end up with a 2nd or 3rd bike.
  • 07-31-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    Thanks for the Input Shuffle! I would like the GTS though Im afraid its going to be really stiff and tough for me to get used to. The reason the DB flat bar was in there. Though if what I am reading is true I should just go for the drop bar and suck it up because Ill be going to that eventually anyway.

The other 2 I was considering from DB was the
    Century 3 or Century 5
    So... thats the $800 question...

Do I go with the $1800 GTS or
    The Century 3/5 for 1k/1.4k respectively...
    Is it worth the extra 8/400?

And secondly I guess is the brands that I am looking at decent?
    I couldn't find a list of the different brands ranked out from highest quality to lowest.

:mad2:
  • 07-31-2015
    eugenetsang
    Quote:

Thanks for the Input Shuffle! I would like the GTS though Im afraid its going to be really stiff and tough for me to get used to. The reason the DB flat bar was in there. Though if what I am reading is true I should just go for the drop bar and suck it up because Ill be going to that eventually anyway.

The other 2 I was considering from DB was the
    Century 3 or Century 5

And secondly I guess is the brands that I am looking at decent?
    I couldn't find a list of the different brands ranked out from highest quality to lowest.

:mad2:

Not knowing your financial situation, current and future goals.... its hard to tell you which manufacture and "bicycle" to get.

You're venturing into a hobby that is endless and the sky is the limit. The best we can do is, give you information and for you to buy a bike that fits your current needs/future needs. Hoping that you will not outgrow it in a few months and having to buy a new one...

Its a money pit. Not to mention, not mandatory but very beneficial... You'll end up want to swap out platform pedals with clipless, shoes, jerseys, bibs, bottles, cages, computers, wheels, and countless other accessories..

You'll be investing a small fortune once you're all said and done... Heck, who am I lying to? You're never "done". You'll be always tinkering with your ride... To build it to your "perfect" specs....
  • 07-31-2015
    Wyldfyre911
    So I am discovering! ;)