My body did not want to ride last night, what happened?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You might have needed more than 15 miles to warm up for whatever reason.

As for my own experience, the following factors seem to affect my ride performance.

1. Drinking (more than moderately) the night before. It just causes some sort of power outage in my entire system when riding.

2. Allergies on the day I ride.

3. I overdid my previous workout

4. My body just doesn't want to ride for whatever reason.

It's probably nothing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

My body did not want to ride last night, what happened?

Went spinning on Monday, and wasn't able to ride until yesterday (Thurs). From the second I got on the bike, to when I got off, I was just plain uncomfortable. Hands were numb, feet were numb, butt hurt, back hurt, neck hurt, legs were fine. Only did 15 miles, felt like 100. What happened? In the last month of getting back into riding, this has never happened. I haven't been fitted to my bike yet professionaly, but I've never experienced anything like this before. What could of gone wrong?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    As of yet, this is the longest distance I've ridden due to time restraints. Had hoped to double that yesterday, but everything just fell apart. Been eating well all week too. Not sure what could of done it, but I don't want it to happen again.

Still On Steel

Some days you call, and the old bod just won't answer.

As Terrapin says, it was probably just an off day, attributable to any number of things. The real tale will be told on your next ride. If everything's back to normal, you can just shrug and move on. But if the same thing happens, it's time to investigate more fully.

You say "wasn't able to ride until Thursday." I'm interpreting that to mean other obligations kept you off the bike, not that you were so trashed from Monday that you physically couldn't ride. FWIW, a lot of my worst days are when I've been out of the saddle one or two days longer than usual. One would think the extra rest would help, and sometimes it does; then again, sometimes it doesn't, even seems to make things worse.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot unless it becomes a regular thing.
    Allez Rouge

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Work kept me from riding. Long hours, loosing daylight, etc.

Now that I think of it though, perhaps I should of filled the waterbottle with something other than Jagger & Redbull? j/k

RoadBikeReview Member

Eat, sleep

Wednesday this week I went out on the same 25 mile loop I have been doing on Wednesdays for weeks. This is a lower mileage training ride for me, and one I usually breeze through. But not this past Wed.

I could never get into a rythmn, never found my legs. My back hurt the whole time, and when i got off my bike, my feet cramped up so bad I had trouble driving home. As I am doing a hilly 55 this weekend, I was a little scared. Then I thought about my week.

Because of my new devil of a dog, we have been getting up at all hours to avoid morning puddles. In addition, my calorie count that day was relatively low, and I didn't eat anything in the 5 hours between lunch and the ride, nor had I had a hearty meal all week. And I probably didn't have enough water in me.

The lesson? Your body is a continuous machine, and it takes reglular fuel, rest and maintenance to continually perform as you expect. And even then, sometimes it just ain't there. Sometimes you just gotta get throught it, recover, and do what you can to get ready for the next ride.

On that note, I am gonna go have some spaghetti, a couple of bananas, and a good night's sleep. Happy riding!

Sep 2005

Two things

I know this might seem a little obvious but could it be the wind??? I started riding about 6 months ago. (I used to ride as a teenager but that was a long time ago)

Anyhoo, I was feeling good doing my 10 mile daily jobby (No laughing) until one day I felt terrible. My average speed was right down and the whole ride was just an effort. No fun at all. It wasn't until I was half way through the ride when I noticed that the wind was right in my face.

Wind...how I used to hate it. But I think I've got it sussed now (After reading several posts in here) When riding into a head wind you are going to suffer. You will go slower and you will feel like c**p. Thats life on a bike. Keep going and your legs will thank you in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Now doing 20 miles a day. Aint going to win anything but I love it and my mum is impressed:-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    To follow-up to my own question: it was a combo of things. From riding without eating for the previous 6 hours, and a bad bike fit.

I went out on Sunday and rode 35 miles, more than double the max I had ridden before. My neck hurt and my hands kept getting numb, but I was able to do the ride thanks to eating a little beforehand and stopping for some gatoraide when I ran out of water. (Now I know I need to bring more water too.)

Just got back from getting the bike fit and it already feels better. Had to switch seatposts from the standard Specialized to a "straight" post to bring me slightly more forward, as well as tilting the bars and raising the seat. I can tell that there is much less weight on my hands with these changes.

Hope to do another 35 miles again this week, and I'm guessing it should be a much easier ride. Lesson learned? Get the [email protected] thing fit from the begenning.

May 2005
    Skimming over this thread for a couple things . . .

How old are you ???

How much riding do you do? What's your workout schedule?

You cannot simply just pile on more and more miles. This especially if you're much past 35 yrs old. Cycling is about training. You stress the body and then allow it to recover. The recovery and stress, when balanced creates a "training effect." -- adaptation of the body to the stress.

But you need to recover. Recovery gets crucial as we get older. But it's also crucial when first starting to ride and racking up the miles.

You mention here neither your age, nor the sorts of miles you've done in training. I'm going to guess you're over-training and not recovering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    24, and been working up to this for about 3-4 weeks. Ride a few times a week plus spinning and regular workouts. Plan on doing another 35 this weekend again.