My new road bike. What to add? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    $850 for an old bike with a mish-mash of parts.

nice job...great way to build a reputation for a new shop.
    I concur with all the others...he's taking you for a ride. Return it and find another shop.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    The other thing I notice...it looks like it has at least a 30 (or maybe 32) rear cassette but what appears to be a short cage ultegra rear derailleur, which I don't think is suited for use with that cassette.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    The earlier posts just told you the value of the bike and the [possible] issues with the bike and you don't seem to be taking their advice.
    How is that so? you mean because I ask questions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    this one is being sold for more, but is not same color scheme. WTF

2004 Trek 5200 Road Bike Olcv 120 Carbon 62cm Frame Shimano Ultegra Race Lite Does not apply | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Someone asking for $1600 does not make it worth $1600. How much it actually sells for is what determines it's value (basic economics).

You can use the ebay 'advanced' search function and search 'sold' listings. You can also search 'completed' listings to see bikes that were listed and didn't sell (and for how much).

Just a quick gander at those results (I didn't look at details), i'd say he's asking a few hundred dollars too many.
    trek 5200 oclv | eBay

It's possible, if he knows as little about this bike as it sounds, that HE got taken to the cleaners on it, and he's trying to recover some of his money.

At this point, I'd try really hard to get out of that deal,or, if you really love the bike, negotiate it down by about half or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post

2004 Trek 5200 Road Bike Olcv 120 Carbon 62cm Frame Shimano Ultegra Race Lite Does not apply | eBay
    I'm pretty sure a front triple was not standard on that bike...
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

So what? There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe someone would be foolish enough to pay that.

Just because something is listed on Ebay for a price doesn't make it worth the price. If you don't believe that, I have a pair of socks to sell you.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    How is that so? you mean because I ask questions?
    No, because they already gave you the answers and their opinions and you're not listening.
    Also, I asked you 2 questions, both which you side stepped.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    So what? There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe someone would be foolish enough to pay that.

Just because something is listed on Ebay for a price doesn't make it worth the price. If you don't believe that, I have a pair of socks to sell you.

Sorry TLG, tried to rep you for this, but guess I did so recently.

Someone else will need to hit you with it.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dear lord 850 for a 2004 used trek.

He could of went to rei or performance and gotten something in 2015 for like 900.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Hi Mantrain, replied to your post in General... one safety feature although a little expensive that you may want to invest in is a Garmin Varia Rear Radar based on your concerns mentioned in other thread.
    Or get a mirror.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Or get a mirror.
    Ah, so refreshingly "old school".

OP, good advice from many here. If you love the bike, it fits your anatomy and intended purposes, go back to the LBS armed with the info from this thread and tactfully state that what you've paid is considered paid in full for the bike. If he agrees, get a receipt. If he doesn't, get a refund.

And, if you do keep the bike, get a standard fitting from a reputable shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree - tell the guy you have been able to identify some parts, incl frame, on the internet, and to get a price on them, and that, overall, you will politely propose that the $450 paid already is paid-in-full.

Otherwise, you want to return the bike.

If this was sold as like-new / used, then you do not have much of a case for frank lying. But he has priced this pretty high, and you can put your story out there enough to make him hurt economically more than $450 worth.

If those offers are not accepted by him, then you will have to figure out an acceptable plan to make him regret not playing along with you. There are plenty of ways to make him consider your decent offer.

One is to fax a complaint in to whatever state agency, then show him a copy of that receipt thingie from the fax machine.

After that, enjoy the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I would agree with the other posters that you probably paid a bit too much for the bike. Whether or not the LBS was intentionally trying to scam you or it was just ignorance, that's to be debated.

I think that with the information you have at hand, you should go back and re-negotiated based upon the misrepresentation of the information. If you truely cannot get a refund or discount. Just enjoy the bike. If it fits you, you feel good in it, you got what you originally paid for. I think we have all at one time or another paid too much for something, especially when we are not experts in that particular hobby or subject. Live and learn, next time you will pay fair market price for your N+1.

As to your original question of what else you need. Bike Fit, helmet, good tire pump with pressure gauge, tubes, tire levers, multi-tool, front and rear lights, padded shorts and eye protection.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    You can buy a new Trek 1.1 at that price and have some cash leftover for accessories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    Dear lord 850 for a 2004 used trek.

He could of went to rei or performance and gotten something in 2015 for like 900.
    would it be all carbon fiber frame? I would love to pay $900 for all carbon fiber frame. I cannot find one.

NGL, I am sorry, which questions have I side-stepped? I will look over your original post here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    The earlier posts just told you the value of the bike and the [possible] issues with the bike and you don't seem to be taking their advice. As for the value of the handlebars why don't you take the information off them and do your own google search, or maybe check ebay? Same goes for the wheel-set. Why don't you take the bike to a another [reputable] bike shop and ask them the value and condition?
    Yes, I have to take all the tape off to figure out the handlebars. I have checked e-bay. The prices are quite varied.

Here is another listing from ebay for $900.

Trek 5500 Oclv | eBay

edit: here is another on ebay for more $ but not sure the year. Trying to find out the year of this one:

Trek 5500 Oclv 120 58cm Dura Ace Thompson Bontr Cane Creek Race x Lite Bicycle | eBay
    Last edited by mantrain; 07-11-2016 at 01:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a friend who just did the same thing and bought a used bike from "a friend"...it's an old Merlin Ti bike with 8 speed dura ace. Yeah, it's Ti, yeah it's dura ace...it's also almost 20 years old. He could have spent the same $1500 or slightly more on a brand new CF bike with 11 speed 105 and had a warranty and support from the shop.

He really liked the bike and really wanted to buy it. I told him "look, I think you are paying too much for this bike, I think it's too big for you, I think you could get a much better and newer bike for the same amount of money...but it's your money and your decision so if you want that bike then that's all I'm going to say about it and leave it at that."

I think at this point the OP is just trying to find justification for keeping the bike...and no one will convince him otherwise. He's gotten a lot of good information that he seems heavily inclined to ignore or refute. That's fine, it's his money and he doesn't really want to hear the feedback that he might have gotten screwed, it might not be the best deal for him or anything else.

Best of luck and if you keep it I hope you enjoy riding it...
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    handlebard.jpg

a close up of the handlebars. Again I would have to take off all the taping to get more info. can anyone tell by this pic the model or anything? thanks so much! sorry for all the newbie questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, I have to take all the tape off to figure out the handlebars. I have checked e-bay. The prices are quite varied.

Here is another listing from ebay for $900.

Trek 5500 Oclv | eBay
    You will find all sorts of prices on ebay, just because someone asks for a certain price doesn't mean that it's actually worth it.

Coming from a "shop" I personally would have expected that details of the bike would have been disclosed. Like the original build, why parts were changed out, accidents since its a CF frame. Are the swapped out parts really an upgrade or just some bolt ons because the originals were pulled for another bike. Unless you've got a LOT of additional information there are a lot of details missing about this bike that make the whole deal sketchy to say the least. As far as the bars, based on everything else you've shared about this bike and the "shop" i would question that they were anything more than a chinese aftermarket knockoff.

You've been given a lot of feedback on this purchase from a good number of intelligent knowledgeable people, what you do with it is up to you. I wish you luck.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    I think at this point the OP is just trying to find justification for keeping the bike...and no one will convince him otherwise. He's gotten a lot of good information that he seems heavily inclined to ignore or refute.

Best of luck and if you keep it I hope you enjoy riding it...
    I am just trying to gather the facts because I see varied prices on the internet and I am not sure how I would otherwise afford carbon fiber. I have ridden it 20 miles and no issues in terms of back aches or anything afterward. it seemed seamless but I have not yet decided. I called the LBS and they told me they would refund the $, but I need to be sure first because I really to love the feel of the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I try to find variances in the used marketplace and snap up good bike deals all the time. Sorry to say but this is a horrible purchase and irrespective of how you choose to proceed (hopefully you paid by credit card so you can simply initiate a refund) I would avoid that shop.

Pricing out components at retail is an old trick to inflate the value of something. It doesn't matter what model those bars are. Today, you can get a pair of Easton EC 90SL3 bars for just over a hundred bucks, or a pair of 3T Ergonova LTD's for double that. Hell, I have those Easton bars for sale - like new barely ridden for 100 miles - and I can't even sell them for $70. Today's market clearing price on today's products render your quoted $400 price meaningless. Unless you are trying to use that misrepresentation as the cornerstone of a return.

There is a HUGE I repeat HUGE amount of trickle down technology every few years from top end products to middle products, and then to entry level offerings. A 2015 entry level group is very far ahead of even the top shelf stuff of ten years ago. The same goes for carbon fiber layups and advances in, that 2004 Trek feels nothing like a 2014 Trek frame. As an avid MTB'er you probably already know these things.

Have you ridden on a modern - current - carbon road bike? Have you shifted up and down through the entire cassette on a modern SRAM or Shimano offering? How does this compare to the feel of that ten year bike?

Don't be tricked into thinking dura ace of 2004 is anything like Dura Ace of 2016... I mean heck, just on weight alone they've shaved a whole bunch of weight over the last ten years.... and you are paying for weight at that level so you can't compare. Additionally, it looks like the shift cables aren't even routed through the hoods and into the bars, but stick out of the units and meet by the head tube... even the lowest end current offerings incorporate cables into the hood.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Here is my feeling about this.

The bike is worth whatever the OP is willing to pay for it. If he's happy with the bike and plans to ride the crap out of it for many years, it's probably a great deal in the long run. I'm guessing resale value is not a consideration here.

I think what most of us are concerned about is that the OP might be making a decision based on emotion, and not common sense. He really wants a carbon bike, and this one presented itself to him.

He could go around to every bike shop within driving distance and may not find another bike he likes as much for the money.

In the end, it's only money, and while $800 or whatever is a lot of money in some contexts, over the course of a lifetime, it's a drop in the bucket.

To the OP, my suggestion would be, if you decide to keep that bike, to just smile and be happy about it. Stop trying to resolve all of these details in this thread. It's really all just a bunch of minutiae. You know if you are prone to emotional purchase mistakes. If you have made that kind of mistake in the past, then hopefully learned from it, and can apply those lessons here. If you are really in love with the bike, and are willing to pay what the guy is asking, then by all means buy it, and ride the crap out of it. Just understand that you have to live with the decision down the road.

You and only you (and your family) have to deal with this. If you buy the bike and after a month or two decide you don't enjoy riding it, or can't stand the look of it, then you've blown your money and are stuck with it. If your $800 means a lot to you, then I'd step back and reconsider for a week or three. If after that time you still want the bike, go buy it and ride the crap out of it.

I know from experience having a bike you don't love is just a waste of space and money. It will just sit in your garage and not get ridden.

Off the back
    I agree with Migen. This surely turned into a "you got gypped" thread real fast. The OP only asked for some help with accessorizing and everybody piled onto the slamfest. Who knows, he might ride this Trek 10k per year for the next ten years and really get his money's worth. And enjoy every minute of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    I agree with Migen. This surely turned into a "you got gypped" thread real fast. The OP only asked for some help with accessorizing and everybody piled onto the slamfest. Who knows, he might ride this Trek 10k per year for the next ten years and really get his money's worth. And enjoy every minute of it.
    OMG thanks I wasn't sure what I got myself into here. If I over spent $300 trust me in the course of my life it won't be a big deal I am more intereted in enjoying my time. I trialed this bike and fell in love with it. All sorts of posters here have basically said 'you asked our opinion it is to your peril if you do not take it.'

Worse case scenario is the bike sits there. If I over paid $300, life will tolerate that somehow -- that is not cancer or hepatitis.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast