My new road bike. What to add? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    If like me, you're old enough to remember Violet Rutherford, you're getting up there in years. If not, you're a whippersnapper.
    By that criteria, I guess I'm still a whippersnapper, you geezer you.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Not sure of any of you remember this old thread I started four years ago. Well, fast forward, I have definatly gotten my $900 worth. But now I want a new CC road bike.

it is Covid 19, and my economic future is maybe ok, but who knows? Therefore I would like to be conservative in my expendenture.

Would anyone know, if this bike, on Amazon, would be a step up, and a better bike than the one I have now (trek 5200 from 2004 I think) ?

https://www.amazon.com/SAVADECK-Carb...3975840&sr=8-1

Banned Sock Puppet
    I would say you got your money's worth - 4 years, $900.

Personally, I would pass on that Amazon bike unless others here recognize that brand. Looks like a generic of some sort.

I would hold off until you can afford more as a good reputable name brand carbon bike with 105 will be more like $2,000. Otherwise, you're really making a lateral move or even a step down.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Lombard[/B];5432849] I would say you got your money's worth - 4 years, $900.

Personally, I would pass on that Amazon bike unless others here recognize that brand. Looks like a generic of some sort.

I would hold off until you can afford more as a good reputable name brand carbon bike with 105 will be more like $2,000. Otherwise, you're really making a lateral move or even a step down.
    LOL... I hear train wreck #4 comming Loud and Clear...

" 9W9W " no offense to you other older folks on this board, but it's amazing how easy it is to pick out the older folks based on their world views."

Well said 9W... You have the gift . Now let's ride the road.
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Would anyone know, if this bike, on Amazon, would be a step up, and a better bike than the one I have now (trek 5200 from 2004 I think) ?
    I guarantee it will be more colorful than your T5200. I would imagine that your T5200 has better components. I'd just keep it. If your going to update, I definitely would go with disc brakes if you live in hills.
    I had a T5200, they ride like a dead piece of wood, so I could see you want to move on. I updated, my current bike is a canyon.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I guarantee it will be more colorful than your T5200. I would imagine that your T5200 has better components. I'd just keep it. If your going to update, I definitely would go with disc brakes if you live in hills.
    I had a T5200, they ride like a dead piece of wood, so I could see you want to move on. I updated, my current bike is a canyon.

so my bike rides like a dead piece of wood and I didnt even know it. I do not know what I do not know, since this is pretty much the only road bike i've ridden. What if that model could be ungraded for disc brakes?

check this model out from same brand. They appear to be big on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SAVADECK-Phan...3999153&sr=8-4

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    LOL... I hear train wreck #4 comming Loud and Clear...
    Are you still butthurt because your poor advice was called out by everybody in the other thread?

Don't cry, Rudge. It will be OK.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, I looked at the 'new' bike.
    I haven't been following your thread and just joined in so I have no idea your age/ability/expectations/local where you ride.
    But will that stop me, no!
    Why are you selecting 'time trial' bikes, those all are going to be very stiff and rigid. I hope you are young and flexible as those have some serious seat to handlebar drop.
    At least this bike has better gears, still no disks. Do you ride in hills/mtns?
    BANNED

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The problem I'd have is that its a no name brand sold over Amazon. One of the reviews initially said he gave it five stars, but that all changed when the frame imploded a year later, as did the one they sent to warranty the first frame. I know people who buy these no name carbon frames from China for $300 and rave about them. I think I have to agree with Lombard ... save your money and buy something name brand. While you save, shop around so you'll be able to identify a really good deal when one comes along.

The Trek 5200 did have a reputation for riding like a piece of wood. But I've never ridden one, so I don't know.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    The Trek 5200 did have a reputation for riding like a piece of wood. But I've never ridden one, so I don't know.
    Wood is pretty strong, you know. A good supple set of tires would help.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    OK, I looked at the 'new' bike.
    I haven't been following your thread and just joined in so I have no idea your age/ability/expectations/local where you ride.
    But will that stop me, no!
    Why are you selecting 'time trial' bikes, those all are going to be very stiff and rigid. I hope you are young and flexible as those have some serious seat to handlebar drop.
    At least this bike has better gears, still no disks. Do you ride in hills/mtns?
    Why are you saying that road bike is a TT bike?

For the OP...do yourself a HUGE favor and don't by a bike off Amazon.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The frame cross sections are modified for aerodynamics and not for suppleness or ride quality, so maybe I was mistaken and it is not a full on racing team TT bike. ...and being on amazon I question all the other things beyond that.
    BANNED

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    The frame cross sections are modified for aerodynamics and not for suppleness or ride quality, so maybe I was mistaken and it is not a full on racing team TT bike. ...and being on amazon I question all the other things beyond that.
    'Aero road bike'...a la Trek Madone, Specialized Venge, etc. Geo is not even close to a TT bike. And the Madone rides better than the Emonda...
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Not sure of any of you remember this old thread I started four years ago. Well, fast forward, I have definatly gotten my $900 worth. But now I want a new CC road bike.

it is Covid 19, and my economic future is maybe ok, but who knows? Therefore I would like to be conservative in my expendenture.

https://www.amazon.com/SAVADECK-Carb...3975840&sr=8-1
    What size bike do you ride and what is your price range?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Are you still butthurt because your poor advice was called out by everybody in the other thread?

Don't cry, Rudge. It will be OK.
    Thank's for your concern. I'm slowly getting there. it's a struggle but I'm gonna make it.
    I do feel a little uncomfortable that the GT guy spent a bit on a heavy gravel bike that may well be too big. just to ride in town.
    I think we all understood he's 90% on the road, and could have been better off with many another choice.

But....... To The Matter At Hand,
    Ladies, and Gentelmen... Each And Everyone Of You.

I award this Thread.... The Thread Of Honor

Where all rider has expressed , and risen to their call, and spoke from thine heart.
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I think we all know he's going to ride 90% on the road, and could have been better of with many another bike.
    How do you know that? Do you have a crystal ball?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    How do you know that? Do you have a crystal ball?
    Lives in Jersey City metro area... Gravel Out back mining trails. Nahhh...

Banned Sock Puppet
    Lives in Jersey City metro area... Gravel Out back mining trails. Nahhh...
    You are assuming he will never leave Jersey City? You know there are dirt rail trails within 1 hour drive, don't you?

Regardless, you are doubling down and forcing the issue because everybody in the thread disagreed with you and the OP took our advice, not yours. You obviously cannot handle that psychologically.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Mantrain,

As a Trek 5200 owner, I would agree on the dead wood statement. Don't take that wrong, being able to tell the difference is also a function of experience. It's just that you haven't ridden other bikes to be able to make that comparison. If you get on a more modern bike, you may be able to tell the difference (some people not so much). It doesn't make the 5200 a bad bike, just a different one. The bike doesn't give the feedback that my other bikes give that I much, much prefer.

Regarding the new bike....

1st thing I would do is get your measurements to determine (generally) what size bike would fit you appropriately. There are several sites that will help you get the general measurements. It's easier if you have someone to help you but it's possible solo with a tape measure, a 24" or longer level, and a solid (non-carpet floor). Competitive Cyclist has an excellent one that walks you through each measurement. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Once you have those measurements, you will have a better idea where your body type will sit. You also need to consider your flexibility and core strength. Can you hold a plank (push-up position) for at least 30 seconds? If you cannot bend over at the waist and touch your toes without bending at your knees or hold the plank position I mentioned earlier, I would be hesitant to purchase a pure race bike frame with a low stack height - unless you are committed to correcting your lack of flexibility and core strength. Otherwise, I lean more towards an endurance geometry with higher stack and shorter reach. Good example to see the differences would be the Canyon Endurace (endurance) vs the Canyon Aeroad (aero race). Look at the geometry differences between the 2 to see what I'm talking about as they have a good amount of difference to clearly see. Trek Domane vs Madone would be another good comparison to see the difference I'm talking about.

The bike you linked to, has low end components, unknown warranty. Plus looking at the geometry, the sizing is a bit wonky. The XL would be a M/54 in a lot of other brands at 54.3cm effective top tube. It's also more of a race geo. I almost feel as if it's a women's specific frame with those numbers. I would look at something like the Pros Closet before going to Amazon if you are dead set on ordering and not getting it through a reputable LBS (not the one in your original post I hope). The Pros Closet has a 54 - 2018 KHS Flite 700 with carbon frame, Tiagra 10spd, condition as new for 1263.99. Has a warranty, been inspected, and has an 18 mo buyback (with conditions) guarantee. Much better option for hardly any more money IMO. https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ke-2018-54cm-3

EDIT: It should be clear the above is just an example and I'm not saying to buy it. You need to be sure of your size before even considering what bike to purchase.
    Last edited by tinball; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No offense to Sora. That is what I have on my $450 Motobecane Super Mirage, going strong since 2002. [I need to update my profile. I was on the Bianchi Eros for a while and am now on a Lemon Etape. But the Moto still works great, and my son is riding it.]

But Sora is the entry level Shimano. That is a tip-off that the bike is overall not as impressive as its wild color scheme.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345