My new road bike. What to add?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

My new road bike. What to add?

trek.jpgHello, my name is Nicholas, and I am very new to road cycling. I have for many years been into mountain biking -- very avid in the sport, and recently I visited a newly opened LBS and made this purchase for $850. It was rather over the budget of what I wanted to spend on my first road bike, but the owner convinced me that this bike is a "steal" at this price and he was selling it to me at a loss so that he can start to grow his business etc. So I have committed myself and put half the money down on this bike and have agreed to pay the rest off within the week. The owner is not able to tell me the year the bike was made, which I made a big stink with him about. He said he didn't know for sure, that he got some inventory from a dentist that never used the bikes much. He made a point that the handlebars alone are $450 retail.
    Well to be honest when I test drove the bike I fell in love with it. To me it rides like a dream -- seamless and responsive. Above all, to me it seems very fast, with sharp acceleration (especially compared to the 29" MTB I ride).
    Anyways, I am not sure where I can go from here in terms of any upgrades, like a fresh wheel-set, or how I might want to improve on the set-up. I see some wheel sets that really are beautiful these days, but I am not sure if I can get something like that (not even sure how to refer to it). Not even sure what tubes to order online and believe it or not have been riding w/out spare tubes.

Thanks for the info to a road-bike newbie.

Off the back
    You'll find many Trek experts on here. I rode something similar to that on a Maui vacation once, renting it from a bike shop. I think it was early 2000's. Very nice riding bike, indeed.

Stuff I'd do:
    1. Get two real water bottles.
    2. Ditch the saddlebag...or at least get a tiny one.
    3. Lower the stack height spacers to drop the stem by about one inch.
    4. Turn the bars downward slightly.
    5. Swap the pedals out for a clipless system when you can afford it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    You'll find many Trek experts on here. I rode something similar to that on a Maui vacation once, renting it from a bike shop. I think it was early 2000's. Very nice riding bike, indeed.

Stuff I'd do:
    1. Get two real water bottles.
    2. Ditch the saddlebag...or at least get a tiny one.
    3. Lower the stack height spacers to drop the stem by about one inch.
    4. Turn the bars downward slightly.
    5. Swap the pedals out for a clipless system when you can afford it.

Coincidentaly I am going to Maui next week! Would love to know the name of an LBS to rent a bike from. Also Oahu. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Already has Ultegra wheels so there is no need to upgrade those! I can't make out what the other components are in the photo. Since it has Ultegra wheels chances are the other components aren't cheap either.

If you can find someone to do a professional bike fitting that would be a great way to spend your money. If the handlebars really were $450 I'm going to assume they're carbon. Buy a torque wrench and carbon paste to make sure you don't crush any carbon bits if you make adjustments.

I see the fork is carbon. If the steer tube is also carbon make sure you move the compression plug if you lower stem on the steer tube. Clamping the stem down on a carbon steer tube without the compression plug in the right place can crush the steer tube.
    Last edited by Fajita Dave; 07-10-2016 at 09:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Bike fit. Definitely bike fit.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    recently I visited a newly opened LBS and made this purchase for $850. It was rather over the budget of what I wanted to spend on my first road bike, but the owner convinced me that this bike is a "steal" at this price and he was selling it to me at a loss so that he can start to grow his business etc. So I have committed myself and put half the money down on this bike and have agreed to pay the rest off within the week.
    I'd get my money back. Sounds like the LBS owner is ignorant or a fraud trying to rip you off.

The owner is not able to tell me the year the bike was made, which I made a big stink with him about. He said he didn't know for sure, that he got some inventory from a dentist that never used the bikes much. He made a point that the handlebars alone are $450 retail.
    It took me all of 5min to figure out the year and model. It's a 2004 Trek 5200. That's a 12yro bike!
    How does he friggin know it's a "steal" if he doesn't even know what it is? Maybe he stole it.

$450 handlebars? lmao.

2004 Trek 5200 - BikePedia
    2004 Trek 5200 - New and Used Bike Value

It's only worth $550 in like new condition. And it's definitely not in like new condition. That fork is NOT original. The rear derailleur is NOT original. Wheels are NOT original. While they're nice wheels, it raises the question of why they were changed, the fork was changed, the derailleur was changed. Was it crashed?

Anyways, I am not sure where I can go from here in terms of any upgrades, like a fresh wheel-set, or how I might want to improve on the set-up. I see some wheel sets that really are beautiful these days, but I am not sure if I can get something like that (not even sure how to refer to it).
    Don't invest money into a 12yro bike that you've already paid 2x as much as you should have.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'd get my money back. Sounds like the LBS owner is ignorant or a fraud trying to rip you off.
    $850 for an old bike with a mish-mash of parts.

nice job...great way to build a reputation for a new shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mantrain,

TLG is correct, get back to that shop and bring him the bike. That is not a new bike nor is it a steal at that price.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Thing is I really like the feel of the bike and as far as I can tell there are no hints of trauma. I only have paid half down I would prefer to bring him in some information and get some $ knocked off the price .

HOw can we tell that it is not in "like new cond." ? Thanks!

Neophyte
    Hi Mantrain, replied to your post in General... one safety feature although a little expensive that you may want to invest in is a Garmin Varia Rear Radar based on your concerns mentioned in other thread.

That said, it's true the bike is an older model. But at the same time, if you're stuck with it now and it's in fine working order, you'll get plenty of good riding out of it. Let people know the name of the shop so it can be avoided, though! That LBS may be full of BS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    How can I be sure of the year? Thank you

Forever a Student
    All I can read is troll.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Also how can I convince him this is not the 5200 model ?

Neophyte
    Maybe, but his messages in the thread he started in General sub-forum seem to contain thought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    All I can read is troll.
    whatever.... I just want to know about this bike, Can someone help me out? this guy wants me to cough up the remainder $425. How can I have proof as to the value gven the "new handlebars" and ultram wheel-set? Are there any new pics I might add to this thread to help? thank you

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thing is I really like the feel of the bike and as far as I can tell there are no hints of trauma. I only have paid half down I would prefer to bring him in some information and get some $ knocked off the price .
    Well if you want to base the price off emotion, that's your right. But you could easily "really like the feel" of a bike that's 10yrs newer and cheaper.

HOw can we tell that it is not in "like new cond." ? Thanks!
    You can tell just by looking at it. "Like New" should look like a showroom floor bike. Not a single nick or scratch. It's almost impossible to have a 12yro bike in like new condition.

As I previously told you, it's got a bunch of parts that aren't original. Handlebar tape is worn. Tires are really worn. Crank looks to have rub marks.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    any shop that would let a bike out the front door with the bars in such a jacked-up position is pretty lame...

I'd just ask for a total refund. the place is a joke.

Neophyte
    Aside from the links already provided by others, just do google image search for:

2004 Trek OCLV

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Also how can I convince him this is not the 5200 model ?
    It's the 5200. Blue Pearl/Carbon color. You probably can't convince him because he's a fraud.

2004 5200 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    I appreciate the answers. My motivation at this point is to get the price lowered down. I do not think he is a "fraud" so much, as he is an older gentleman whom retired from a major company and started a retirement business. I just dont think he knows all that much. I did press him for the year and he could never tell me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Firstly, please ignore the people who are suggesting to lower the stem and bars. They have never seen you on the bike, and have no business giving you fit advice. Get a bike fit to determine where your handlbars/hoods should be.

Secondly, I'd *really* like to know how the handlebars are worth $450 new. A new Enve carbon bar costs $100 less. If the guy at the shop knows it's worth $450 he'll be able to tell you what model it is and why they are worth that much.

If this new LBS model is based on selling bikes to people at inflated prices after convicing them he is taking a loss, I don't expect them to be around long. Scamming customers is not a good way to build a customer base. It's a good way to piss people off. It might work for a couple of months, but eventually he's going to run out of customers.
    Last edited by Migen21; 07-11-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Off the back
    Coincidentaly I am going to Maui next week! Would love to know the name of an LBS to rent a bike from. Also Oahu. Thanks
    We stayed near Kaanapali Beach. Several shops nearby provide rentals, but I do not recall the name. It was located on the main road.

You gather, by now, that you overpaid for your Trek. Still a very nice-riding bike that will give you years of fun. See if maybe the shop will refund you a couple hundred - money you can use to buy shoes, pedals, and accessories.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I appreciate the answers. My motivation at this point is to get the price lowered down. I do not think he is a "fraud" so much, as he is an older gentleman whom retired from a major company and started a retirement business. I just dont think he knows all that much. I did press him for the year and he could never tell me.
    Right, he's not a fraud... just an old ignorant man.

If he's not a fraud, why'd he tell you the handlebars are worth $450? How does he know that when he doesn't even know the year/model of the bike?
    If he's not a fraud, how does he know the bike is "steal" at this price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bolded part scares me more than anything else you've said.

He's starting a business selling old bikes in questionable states claiming that they are "from a dentist who never used the bikes much", does that sound like a good business model? Please do yourself a favor, take the bike back, get your money back from the "gentleman" and go to a reputable bikeshop, where you can get fit properly and sold a less questionable bike.

At best, this bike should have been in the < $350 range: 2004 Trek 5200 - New and Used Bike Value

Best of luck to you.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    The earlier posts just told you the value of the bike and the [possible] issues with the bike and you don't seem to be taking their advice. As for the value of the handlebars why don't you take the information off them and do your own google search, or maybe check ebay? Same goes for the wheel-set. Why don't you take the bike to a another [reputable] bike shop and ask them the value and condition?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast