Need your help to pick! - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 187
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    I am actually planning to go to my LBS to get "fit" services.
    At least you and the others here prevented me to settle with a Claris groupset so definitely this has been helpful so far...lol

    I strongly advocate that you fit yourself. Suggestions and general impressions from a LBS maybe helpful to get you started free of charge. But a scheduled full blown Road Bike Fit : are for riders who can't figure it out for themselves, need help with a serious problem

    I'm a firm believer in understanding your own fit, and perfecting that on your own. Tweaks are a part of the learning curve that you do to get it right.

    So save the fit for later when you have an unsurmountable issue.

    (Large type for pupet Lombard)

    Also, Head's Up, and your body's up too. A bike with a tall head will not get you focused on ... the road
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:17 PM.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: krisdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    as effective top tubes are almost the same in both these sizes.

    At least you and the others here prevented me to settle with a Claris groupset so definitely this has been helpful so far...lol
    But STA are not. That 0.25 degrees may make a difference. The BULLS has a slacker angle and a shorter top tube. That will shorten the cockpit up. The Marin has a steeper angle and longer top tube, which will make the cockpit more stretched out. About 1cm for every 1 degree of difference if everything else is more or less the same.

    Listen, if you can get Sora at your budget, go for it, but I don't think for your needs you'd see a huge difference. But that is me.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    But STA are not. That 0.25 degrees may make a difference. The BULLS has a slacker angle and a shorter top tube. That will shorten the cockpit up. The Marin has a steeper angle and longer top tube, which will make the cockpit more stretched out. About 1cm for every 1 degree of difference if everything else is more or less the same.

    Listen, if you can get Sora at your budget, go for it, but I don't think for your needs you'd see a huge difference. But that is me.
    Fair point. I also calc'd the stack to reach ratio of the Bulls to be at 1.57 Vs 1.49 for the Marin bike. I have average length legs for my height (any thoughts on this)?

    I am also going to throw in another contender given the price point of $799.

    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...c?sku=18723600

    8-speed Claris, external cables..and 34 lbs.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Carbon Time

  5. #30
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    I am also going to throw in another contender given the price point of $799.

    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...c?sku=18723600

    8-speed Claris, external cables..and 34 lbs.
    GT is a good brand. I really have to question that 34lb. weight. Either a mistake or the whole shipping weight.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  6. #31
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Carbon Time
    You need to stop trolling and go back to your circus/carnival management career.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  7. #32
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,481
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    I strongly advocate that you fit yourself. Suggestions and general impressions from a LBS maybe helpful to get you started free of charge. But a scheduled full blown Road Bike Fit : are for riders who can't figure it out for themselves, need help with a serious problem
    The problem is bike fitting isn't a science (as much as they pretend it is). It's an art. You can go to 3 different professional fitters and come out with three different set ups.

    As a 'recreational rider maybe riding 20-30 miles on the weekends once in a while' a professional fitting isn't all that important.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    GT is a good brand. I really have to question that 34lb. weight. Either a mistake or the whole shipping weight.
    you are right. Just checked with Dick's. It's 24 lbs.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The problem is bike fitting isn't a science (as much as they pretend it is). It's an art. You can go to 3 different professional fitters and come out with three different set ups.

    As a 'recreational rider maybe riding 20-30 miles on the weekends once in a while' a professional fitting isn't all that important.
    So this is the geometry of the bike:
    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/gorogue/

    I am planning to get the 53cms. Based on the standover height of 772mm..(~30 inches) this should be my size. However, bike tech at DSG says this would be too big for me as he himself is 6'1 and the top bar is almost up to his crotch. Another bike tech at another DSG store and a rep from GT bikes said 53cm would be fine for me. In the absence of proper fit services, how would you determine if the size you are ordering is right or not given the above info?

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    RE Frame Size, consider your flexability and torso length. You essentially want to be on the smallest frame in your range.

    I gotta hand it to you for coming out with some fairly obscure (to me) brands.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    RE Frame Size, consider your flexability and torso length. You essentially want to be on the smallest frame in your range.

    I gotta hand it to you for coming out with some fairly obscure (to me) brands.
    Sorry I am not baller enough to afford a 105 carbon frame. Didn't know Marin, GT, Bulls were obscure brands.. thank god I am not racing you anytime soon.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    I other words to be more clear, the 53 may indeed be a bit large for you. That's what first crossed my mind.

    I, as well as many others, have made all the mistakes you're about to make.
    My starter bike was Motobacane Turino Elite. Too heavy, too big, too tall HT, and while 8 speed Claris function's perfectly every shift, so does the inertia of momentum drop. Every shift. It became my winter bike until I realized it was a waste of time and throughly unenjoyable ride.
    Now I'm a fan of quality carbon frames, and high spec components.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:17 AM.

  13. #38
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,481
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    Sorry I am not baller enough to afford a 105 carbon frame. Didn't know Marin, GT, Bulls were obscure brands..
    Anyone who thinks Marin & GT are obscure, ain't been around much.

    They specialize mostly in off road bikes. The GT Zaskar is one of the most iconic MTB's of all time.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  14. #39
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,481
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    My starter bike was Motobacane Turino Elite. Too heavy, too big, too tall HT, and while 8 speed Claris function's perfectly every shift, so does the inertia of momentum drop.
    What in the world are you talking about? You mean the Moment of Inertia? How?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: krisdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,425
    OP, you said you are 5-8. By comparison I'm 5-5, 5-6 on a good day. Relatively short legs (about 28" inseam) and my custom road frame spec was 51.5cm top tube, with a 75 STA, 100cm stem and 15mm setback post. Sizing is often about trade offs. You can do a longer top tube, but then you'll need a shorter stem and that can impact your handling. Bigger frame has a taller headtube, so you can't get bars as low and will typically be more upright. Frame I am on now is a 53cm TT, 73.5 STA and same stem and post. I'd probably look at frames 1 size up from me, for you, unless your body proportions are way different. I'd probably go for the 51cm in the GT Grade or smaller. That headtube is a bit long, maybe I'd go down a size and run a longer stem.
    Last edited by krisdrum; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.

  16. #41
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    you are right. Just checked with Dick's. It's 24 lbs.
    That makes a lot more sense. My 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit with a Reynolds 631 frame is 23lbs. 24 is not a lot for a gravel bike and when I was shopping for a gravel bike, I was considering the GT Grade. I crossed it off my list because it had a max tire clearance of 35mm. That's something to consider if you think you may want to run wider tires. If not, the Grade is a worthy choice.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  17. #42
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Anyone who thinks Marin & GT are obscure, ain't been around much.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post

    They specialize mostly in off road bikes. The GT Zaskar is one of the most iconic MTB's of all time.


    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What in the world are you talking about? You mean the Moment of Inertia? How?
    Rudge66 is clueless. The guy who likes to sound like he knows so much and professes that a beginner should buy a high-end bike has never heard of two fairly well-known brands of bikes. Hmmmm.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Thanks for the recco. There's only 53 or 55 as options. A little upright is fine with me as I will take comfort over speed/aero.

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That makes a lot more sense. My 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit with a Reynolds 631 frame is 23lbs. 24 is not a lot for a gravel bike and when I was shopping for a gravel bike, I was considering the GT Grade. I crossed it off my list because it had a max tire clearance of 35mm. That's something to consider if you think you may want to run wider tires. If not, the Grade is a worthy choice.
    Hmm, I am almost 80% made up to buy the GT Grade. 35mm should be good enough for me. Like I said, most of my riding will be city roads with some gravel paths in state parks so that passes the check. I am just torn if I should go for the Bulls Grinder 1 bike or this one. The Marin wont be shipped out until late Oct so I have ruled that out. The Bulls all-in is $220 more than the GT but comes with Sora, wider tires, internal cabling etc. But i like the GT triple triangle frame and the overall geometry better..decisions..decisions..decisions!

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Alright guys, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the GT Grade bike in 53. The bike should be here in a week.

    As a last piece of advice, since DSG offers free in store assembly for all of its bikes, I am wondering if I should instead just take it to my LBS for assembly instead. Although it will set me back by $60, I think they will do a better job of adjusting my fit to the bike. Any inputs or experience with DSG assembly services are much appreciated!

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    OP, you said you are 5-8. By comparison I'm 5-5, 5-6 on a good day. Relatively short legs (about 28" inseam) and my custom road frame spec was 51.5cm top tube, with a 75 STA, 100cm stem and 15mm setback post. Sizing is often about trade offs. You can do a longer top tube, but then you'll need a shorter stem and that can impact your handling. Bigger frame has a taller headtube, so you can't get bars as low and will typically be more upright. Frame I am on now is a 53cm TT, 73.5 STA and same stem and post. I'd probably look at frames 1 size up from me, for you, unless your body proportions are way different. I'd probably go for the 51cm in the GT Grade or smaller. That headtube is a bit long, maybe I'd go down a size and run a longer stem.
    Well said. I Agree.
    Most size mistakes are sizing up when you should be sizing down.
    That's all part of the learning curve too.

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    As a last piece of advice, since DSG offers free in store assembly for all of its bikes, I am wondering if I should instead just take it to my LBS for assembly instead. Although it will set me back by $60, I think they will do a better job of adjusting my fit to the bike. Any inputs or experience with DSG assembly services are much appreciated!
    Take it to Dicks and pocket your $60 ...save your LBS the insult.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:38 PM.

  23. #48
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    Alright guys, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the GT Grade bike in 53. The bike should be here in a week.

    As a last piece of advice, since DSG offers free in store assembly for all of its bikes, I am wondering if I should instead just take it to my LBS for assembly instead. Although it will set me back by $60, I think they will do a better job of adjusting my fit to the bike. Any inputs or experience with DSG assembly services are much appreciated!
    Good choice with the Grade! Geometry is important as it will determine your comfort and enjoyment of the bike. And external cables are way easier to change when you need to - personally I prefer external cables.

    Personally I would spend the extra $60 to have your LBS assemble the bike properly. They will almost certainly do a better job than Dick's. $60 is actually a bargain, most shops will charge $100-200 for an assembly if you bought the bike elsewhere. And while you're at your LBS, get a fit too.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  24. #49
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Take it to Dicks and pocket your $60 ...save your LBS the insult.
    And what makes you think the LBS will be insulted? They assemble "outside" bikes all the time. It's a source of income.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Good choice with the Grade! Geometry is important as it will determine your comfort and enjoyment of the bike. And external cables are way easier to change when you need to - personally I prefer external cables.

    Personally I would spend the extra $60 to have your LBS assemble the bike properly. They will almost certainly do a better job than Dick's. $60 is actually a bargain, most shops will charge $100-200 for an assembly if you bought the bike elsewhere. And while you're at your LBS, get a fit too.
    Thanks! I will be taking to the LBS for sure. There isn't a DSG store near me anyways. I plan on putting 35mm tires when fall comes and get used to the handling in the meantime. Maybe after some time I can consider upgrading the Claris groupset to 105 (if needed) and I may finally get some respect from rudge66

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Take your pick...but you can only pick one
    By Dave Hickey in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 12:03 AM
  2. need some help to decide which carbon bike to pick
    By ron_g217 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM
  3. Pick your horse...
    By magnolialover in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 08:17 AM
  4. P-R Predictions, Start Lists: Who is your pick?
    By Spunout in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
  5. Pick your pony
    By frogjasm in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.