Need your help to pick! - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Personally I would spend the extra $60 to have your LBS assemble the bike properly. They will almost certainly do a better job than Dick's. $60 is actually a bargain, most shops will charge $100-200 for an assembly if you bought the bike elsewhere. And while you're at your LBS, get a fit too.
    For $60, it must be pretty minimal assembly. My LBS charges that for a derailer adjustment. Full build is $200.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    For $60, it must be pretty minimal assembly. My LBS charges that for a derailer adjustment. Full build is $200.
    A bike that's boxed to be delivered to Dick's Sporting Goods should be pretty much fully assembled. Mount the front wheel. Mount the handlebars. Install pedals. Check the shifting. It's 10-15min work.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    A bike that's boxed to be delivered to Dick's Sporting Goods should be pretty much fully assembled. Mount the front wheel. Mount the handlebars. Install pedals. Check the shifting. It's 10-15min work.
    That is for someone who is competent. I question whether someone who works at Dick's is competent enough to adjust everything right - torque bolts, follow tightening sequence, set up shifting correctly. They're like the Wal-Mart of sports stores.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That is for someone who is competent. I question whether someone who works at Dick's is competent enough to adjust everything right - torque bolts, follow tightening sequence, set up shifting correctly. They're like the Wal-Mart of sports stores.
    I was talking about $60 at the LBS. It's 10-15min work for them. It's not a full $bike build.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    I was talking about $60 at the LBS. It's 10-15min work for them. It's not a full $bike build.
    I would guess that depends on the amount of assembly done already. I can't say I've ever heard of an LBS charging less than $100.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP, do the work yourself. It will be a great way to bond with your new bike and you'll learn a ton. Everything you need is on YouTube. Look everything over with a critical eye and take your time. I know you'll be excited to go ride, but maintenance is a part of ownership in my opinion, might as well start getting involved right off the bat. I have found as much joy in assembly and adjustment of my bike as I have in riding it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I would guess that depends on the amount of assembly done already.
    Like I said, Mount the front wheel. Mount the handlebars. Install pedals. Check the shifting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    I would guess that depends on the amount of assembly done already. I can't say I've ever heard of an LBS charging less than $100.
    It's actually $80 for road bikes. $60 was for basic assembly. Still not bad compared to all the prices posted here.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Like I said, Mount the front wheel. Mount the handlebars. Install pedals. Check the shifting.
    You are overestimating the ability of someone Dick's hires off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    It's actually $80 for road bikes. $60 was for basic assembly. Still not bad compared to all the prices posted here.
    How much do they charge for a fit?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020

How much do they charge for a fit?
    Basic fit including adjusting saddle height and saddle position (fore and aft), as well as stem and bar position and reach: $75

Advanced fit including a pre-fit analysis of flexibility, previous injury, and arch support requirements, assessing and adjusting cleat position, saddle position, handlebar width, stem length, shift lever placement, and an evaluation of pedaling technique: $175

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    OP, do the work yourself. It will be a great way to bond with your new bike and you'll learn a ton. Everything you need is on YouTube. Look everything over with a critical eye and take your time. I know you'll be excited to go ride, but maintenance is a part of ownership in my opinion, might as well start getting involved right off the bat. I have found as much joy in assembly and adjustment of my bike as I have in riding it.
    Trust me I would love to but I live in a apartment and don't have any outside space at my disposal. Plus, I don' want a 2-yr old exposed to nuts, bolts and tools lying around or butting in every 2 mins. Just a gentle reminder of the times we are living in these days.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not talking about Dicks. I'm talking about the LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    I was talking about $60 at the LBS. It's 10-15min work for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    Maybe after some time I can consider upgrading the Claris groupset to 105 (if needed) and I may finally get some respect from rudge66
    I sincerely wish you well with your bike, but in no way do I advocate you upgrade your groupset on this bike. That would violate principle #2.

I hope in the future you have the opportunity to have a few good rides on a high spec road specific bike of the correct size for your reference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fully aware of the times we are living in. I worked on my bike in my apt bedroom for years. But I understand where you are coming from. Heck, get your 2-year old to be your assistant. Hold the wrenches. Get you a towel. I doubt there will be any loose nuts/bolts in the process, as you seldom fully remove something. It is more often loosening things up so you can fit/attach and then re-tighten. It could be fun.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    That would violate principle #2.
    Do I dare ask??

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    I sincerely wish you well with your bike, but in no way do I advocate you upgrade your groupset on this bike. That would violate principle #2.

I hope in the future you have the opportunity to have a few good rides on a high spec road specific bike of the correct size for your reference.
    I enjoy nice things in life where, if and when I see a need. From the outset, I have stated my objective to be clear - this is for recreational riding. IF I enjoy it, I will absolutely upgrade to a better more expensive bike in the future. Having said that, I am convinced what I bought is not a piece of junk or even entry level bare minimum. Based on your philosophy, everybody should wait around to save enough to buy a Porsche and if not, just walk?

I honestly could care less what your principle #2 is and you can shove it where it's warm and fuzzy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy Ravioli ... that's a little creepy, lets' show a little more decorum; and practice
    self-control.

You are the one who joined (RBR) asking for help about your new bike purchase. We all gave you our best advice.

We did our job holding your hand, and guiding you through your questions and concerns.
    That's what you ask for, and thats what you received.
    You were given some excellent perspectives.

The yellow flags started waving when you didn't understand the overwhelming advice to interact with your LBS.. You bought your bike from Dick's a Big Box Store.Then you wanted even more hand- holding, about bike fit and size frame. and assembly ?
    The Red Flag for me, was when you posted .. . " Plus, I don' want a 2-yr old exposed to nuts, bolts and tools lying around or butting in every 2 mins. "
    I was completely stunned by that statement.
    Why try to earn my/our respect when you can't even deal with your kid?
    so maybe...?

#3 Allow Your Child Too Participate Your Challenges..

Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Holy Ravioli ... that's a little creepy, lets' show a little more decorum; and practice
    self-control.

You are the one who joined (RBR) asking for help about your new bike purchase. We all gave you our best advice.

We did our job holding your hand, and guiding you through your questions and concerns.
    That's what you ask for, and thats what you received.

The yellow flags started waving when you didn't take the overwhelming advice to interact with your LBS.. You bought your bike from Dick's a Big Box Store.Then you wanted more hand- holding about bike fit and size frame. (51 is the correct suggestion) and assembly ?
    The Red Flag for me, was when you posted .. . " Plus, I don' want a 2-yr old exposed to nuts, bolts and tools lying around or butting in every 2 mins. "

Why try to earn my/our respect when you can't even deal with your kid? its j out of bounds.
    #3... Hate Speech , Insults, and reference toward sexual aggression are deemed unacceptable
    Let me just say that I got a lot of good suggestions which helped me reach a decision by everyone who posted here except you. I can't see anything useful in whatever you posted. Its counterproductive to go back and forth with you and send useless notifications to people who posted on this thread as my purpose here has been served and the mod can close or delete the thread if they so wish. Lastly, do yourself a favor, and dont offer advice to rookies if you don't what they are looking for. Not everyone likes a steak. Some people like a hamburger. Some people like both.

Adios.

RoadBikeReview Member
    #9 Let Simmer On Low.
    Last edited by rudge66; 1 Week Ago at 04:34 PM. Reason: double copy edit

Banned Sock Puppet
    I did my best on your behalf. Sorry to call you out on your stress Holy Ravioli ... lets' show a little more decorum: and practice self control.

That's what you wanted, and thats what you received.

Specifically, we addressed your questions about What Bike Should I Buy?
    Value, Components, Bike Fitting , Frame Size, and Bike Assembly. Nobody ever disrespected you.
    The yellow flags started waving when you didn't take the overwhelming advice to interact your LB'S..
    Then you wanted more hand- holding about bike fit ,
    and bike size,
    and assembly.

You stated the need "to earn my respect by up grading to 105..." and I immediately caution you to avoid doing so.

The yellow flags started waving when you didn't take the overwhelming advice to interact with your LBS.. You bought Your Bike From Dicks Big Box Store.Then you wanted a hand holding about bike fit and size frame. . You were given some excellent perspective on this. Then more hand holding about assembly... and youwere given counsel.

The Red Flag for me, was when you posted this... . " Plus, I don' want a 2-yr old exposed to nuts, bolts and tools lying around or butting in every 2 mins. ".
    #9 Let Simmer On Low.
    Dude, you really need to take a chill pill, or at least pay attention. The OP DID take the advice to interact with his LBS. And really, could you not tell that his remark about needing "to earn my respect by up grading to 105..." was tongue in cheek? Do we need to take a collection to buy you a sarcasm detector? You are one confused little man.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude, you really need to take a chill pill, or at least pay attention. The OP DID take the advice to interact with his LBS. And really, could you not tell that his remark about needing "to earn my respect by up grading to 105..." was tongue in cheek? Do we need to take a collection to buy you a sarcasm detector? You are one confused little man.
    Yup. OP took lots of advice. He's just butthurt the OP didn't take 'his' advice.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Yup. OP took lots of advice. He's just butthurt the OP didn't take 'his' advice.
    Maybe we need to send Rudge66 some of this:

Attached Images Attached Images

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy the right size... not the next size up....There's only 53 or 55 as options.

Don't come back saying it fits perfectly. Or how do you know? Perfect is the correct size. Sure you can ride a frame 53 when you should be on a 51.
    That's common mistake that's repeated over and over again by new riders. Buying the size up when they should be the next size down.

OP---*However, bike tech at DSG says this would be too big for me as he himself is 6'1* and the top bar is almost up to his crotch. Another bike tech at another DSG store and a rep from GT bikes said 53cm would be fine for me. In the absence of proper fit services, how would you determine if the size you are ordering is right or not given the above info?

Good question.
    You were given a sound reply...
    OP, you said you are 5-8. By comparison I'm 5-5, 5-6 on a good day. Relatively short legs (about 28" inseam) and my custom road frame spec was 51.5cm top tube, with a 75 STA, 100cm stem and 15mm setback post. Sizing is often about trade offs. You can do a longer top tube, but then you'll need a shorter stem and that can impact your handling. Bigger frame has a taller headtube, so you can't get bars as low and will typically be more upright. Frame I am on now is a 53cm TT, 73.5 STA and same stem and post. I'd probably look at frames 1 size up from me, for you, unless your body proportions are way different. I'd probably go for the 51cm in the GT Grade or smaller. That headtube is a bit long, maybe I'd go down a size and run a longer stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Taking my input out of context. There was no prescriptive advice for the OP. I was NOT suggesting the OP buy a 51cm. I was suggesting I might buy one if I wanted that bike given how it matched up against my own general frame geometry needs. Nothing more, nothing less. Now I'm a bit shorter than the OP, so what I was suggesting was that he look at frames the next size up from what I might ride and evaluate them for his own needs.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Taking my input out of context. There was no prescriptive advice for the OP. I was NOT suggesting the OP buy a 51cm. I was suggesting I might buy one if I wanted that bike given how it matched up against my own general frame geometry needs. Nothing more, nothing less. Now I'm a bit shorter than the OP, so what I was suggesting was that he look at frames the next size up from what I might ride and evaluate them for his own needs.
    Exactly. And given the OP stated he was looking for a more upright position, sizing up if he is in between sizes may be prudent as long as the stand over height isn't a nad crusher.

For reference, I am 5' 10' with a 32" inseam and a ride a 56cm frame. A 54 is too small for me.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast