Need your help to pick! - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    Live look-in at rudge66 riding his undersized bike.
    Mind you, its a carbon frame with 105.

No thats my Campy...It fits .
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Days Ago at 03:14 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks! I am going to experiment around with the psi like you and Lombard suggested and find my optimal pressure. I assumed thicker wider tires would come at a price..which is speed as wind resistance would be higher but was willing to make that trade off for more better cornering..I guess neither is necessarily true. I am going to stick with the current stock tires for now and get used to the handling a little more and maybe I can opt for 28mm slicks when these wear out.
    I don't know how old you are, but as i get older, I like the comfort of wider tires. 28mm tires are the widest that fit my road bike. The bike came with 25mm tires and to be quite honest, I can't tell a difference in speed between the two. The only difference is that 28mm tires are less harsh because I can run lower pressures than with the 25's.

Yes, in theory, wind resistance will be higher with wider tires, but that is really splitting hairs unless you ride at sustained speeds of 20+ mph. Less than that you will never notice.

What WILL slow you down are the knobs. Personally, when it comes time to replace tires, if it were me, I would go with 32 or 35mm slicks, but that's just me.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    I'm so excited, I couldn't wait to post. I'm cured, I'm cured!! I just went for a quick ride and glory be... I rode the entire time standing up, stroke after stroke, it was incredible the way the nose of the saddle just ever so subtly tickling my rear as I pumped away. This is LIFE CHANGING!!!!! I'll never sit again! How could I be so wrong for so long. Thank you for opening my eyes to the errors of my ways, oh supreme savior.
    Strava...post your ride ?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    O.K. Nurse Lombard I'll except the clinical term Overweight. Since you have your chart handy; at what weight might someone 5'6" tip the scales into obesity?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=bmi+chart+men&t=i

Last edited by Lombard; 4 Days Ago at 03:32 PM.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Strava...post your ride ?
    What's Strava? I don't speak italian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but as i get older, I like the comfort of wider tires. 28mm tires are the widest that fit my road bike. The bike came with 25mm tires and to be quite honest, I can't tell a difference in speed between the two. The only difference is that 28mm tires are less harsh because I can run lower pressures than with the 25's.

Yes, in theory, wind resistance will be higher with wider tires, but that is really splitting hairs unless you ride at sustained speeds of 20+ mph. Less than that you will never notice.

What WILL slow you down are the knobs. Personally, when it comes time to replace tires, if it were me, I would go with 32 or 35mm slicks, but that's just me.
    Huh? now your talking 28 road tires?
    The OP basically lives in NYC and you sold him a size up box store $900 GT Walmart Gavel Monster . One Sized UP !
    Can we just get back to the # numbers?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Newsflash - many road bikes are now being sold with 28 and 30mm tires. Are you one of those Luddites still using 23mm skinnies?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lombard .. where's the chart? Are you over wait too?
    LBS
    OP Didn't by a ROAD BIKE.

Now You'r talking Road Bike ?

Please exSSplain
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Days Ago at 04:09 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Lombard .. where's the chart? Are you over wait too?
    Over wait? You mean over weight, don't you? Man, did you pay attention in grammar school where you should have learned that? If you have to know, I'm 5' 10" and 175lbs. which puts me right at the high end of the normal range. Satisfied now?

Look at my post 154. There are charts everywhere on the internet and I inserted a link there and here just in case you didn't know how to use Google:

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's Strava? I don't speak italian. Mmmm... rich, like chocolate cake and ice cream or pasta and alfredo sauce with a side of garlic bread... mmmmm.

more signals?
    Whats up with that ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OI'm 5' 10" and 175lbs. which puts me right at the high end of the normal range.
    And you can't ride drops, and your hands get numb, and you like to recommend riders size up a frame, And you set your bar height even with your saddle . And you dont often get out of the saddle too.
    OK Lombard I get it... lets not bicker as you say.

BTW you could drop some wait two.
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Days Ago at 04:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    O.K. Nurse Lombard I'll except the clinical term Overweight. Since you have your chart handy; at what weight might someone 5'6" tip the scales into obesity?

To the OP: dont' know if you have seen this upload similar to your bike
    but I think it's sweet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zrTdJSebE

OP Are your cables routed the same way under the bar tape, or do they come directly off the Hoods as Dicks illustrates?

I think its time to solve the mystery as to the frame size.
    Let's go to the tape and see the number. Please measure and post a pic.

Center Bottom Bracket Top Of Seat Tube .
    Use A on this chart as reference.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/GT-Grade-A...lite-Bike-2020

Hint: Non drive side is best ... sorry TIG
    Yes, the bike in the vid looks very similar to mine and maybe it is the same model. I am not sure why are you hell bent on proving a non contentious point? I am satisfied witht the frame size AFTER riding the bike. I find it hard to believe that anyone here including YOU keeps their bike in the same stock condition it came in from the LBS or the manufacturer. Just because I asked some questions on the fit doesn't mean it's a case of bad lemons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    The OP basically lives in NYC and you sold him a size up box store $900 GT Walmart Gavel Monster . One Sized UP !
    Can we just get back to the # numbers?
    Again, nobody SOLD me anything. I got advice and made my own decision. I am a 36 year old guy who knows what he needs and is adeot at doing research. But yes, you did try to SELL me a carbon frame with 105 components which was a lame "used car salesman" effort at best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, the bike in the vid looks very similar to mine and maybe it is the same model. I am not sure why are you hell bent on proving a non contentious point? I am satisfied witht the frame size AFTER riding the bike. I find it hard to believe that anyone here including YOU keeps their bike in the same stock condition it came in from the LBS or the manufacturer. Just because I asked some questions on the fit doesn't mean it's a case of bad lemons.
    I want you to be on the right size bike. And I"ll go measure it myself for you.

You're under 5'8'. You have 1/2 inch space standing over your top tube. For the 3000 readers... and all future readers ... Thats the wrong size. its too big....
    Lombard.. TIG.. and that other Jack Ass that wants to join this circle jerk

You Bought
    Stack 590.
    Reach 394.
    Stand Over 791.
    Seat Tube 531
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Days Ago at 05:24 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    BTW you could drop some wait two.
    And you could learn to spell words most 5th graders know how to spell.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I am not sure why are you hell bent on proving a non contentious point?
    Because he is butt hurt that nobody in this thread agrees with him. Rudge needs one of these:

Attached Images Attached Images

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    I want you to be on the right size bike. And I"ll go measure it myself for you.

You're under 5'8'. You have 1/2 inch space standing over your top tube. For the 3000 readers... and all future readers ... Thats the wrong size. its too big....
    Lombard.. TIG.. and that other Jack Ass that wants to join this circle jerk

You Bought
    Stack 590.
    Reach 394.
    Stand Over 791.
    Seat Tube 531
    Those stats above are just plain wrong. This is NOT a 2020 model. You can call Dorel Sports (the manufacturer of GT) at 1800-BIKE-USA and be humbled. Correct stats are:

Stack: 557
    Reach: 370
    Standover: 772
    Seat tube: 535
    A stand over of 791 is equal to 31 inches which is more than my inseam and would not leave any gap leave alone half an inch between my crotch and the top tube. So just on that basis alone, your specs above are wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You said you're inseam is 32.... and you have a half inch standing over the top tube Thats too tight. For the sake of 3000 readers and some over weight old men giving advice... go ride your bike.

And just what model is it . What Year? 2019? Seat tube is 531... so lets look at the chart.
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Days Ago at 07:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stand over is pretty far down on the list of legitimate fit criteria. There are plenty of others that should be assessed way before you use that as a sizing tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stand over is pretty far down on the list of legitimate fit criteria. There are plenty of others that should be assessed way before you use that as a sizing tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. OP said his inseam was 32 and 1/2 inch standover. It's not even in the ballpark of acceptability...

The numbers seem to be very fluid.
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Days Ago at 07:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    You said you're inseam is 32.... and you have a half inch standing over the top tube Thats too tight. For the sake of 3000 readers and some over weight old men giving advice... go ride your bike.

And just what model is it . What Year? 2019? Seat tube is 531... so lets look at the chart.
    Do you have a problem with reading comprehension (in addition to writing basic english)? See post #34 in this thread. Nowhere did I mention an inseam length of 32 inches.
    And for the sake of people still reading this, stop responding to this thread as you are just adding junk upon junk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So whats your inseam? I thought you said 32" not sure I pulled that out of my hat ...
    but tell us your inseam again please.
    You did say you have a 1/2 inch space standover correct?

RoadBikeReview Member
    So this is the geometry of the bike:
    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/gorogue/

I am planning to get the 53cms. Based on the standover height of 772mm..(~30 inches) this should be my size. However, bike tech at DSG says this would be too big for me as he himself is 6'1 and the top bar is almost up to his crotch. Another bike tech at another DSG store and a rep from GT bikes said 53cm would be fine for me. In the absence of proper fit services, how would you determine if the size you are ordering is right or not given the above info?
    so your inseam is what now?

Banned Sock Puppet
    So whats your inseam? I thought you said 32" not sure I pulled that out of my hat ...
    but tell us your inseam again please.
    I think you pulled out out of somewhere else. The OP is 5' 6". There is no way his inseam is 32" unless he is all leg and very little torso. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and I take a 56 frame. I can also assure you that there is at least 2" of clearance in my standover on my Cannondale Synapse.

So.............let do a math problem. If the OP is 5' 6" on a 53 frame and a 1/2 inch of standover clearance, what might his inseam be? Apparently you are no better at math than you are at spelling or reading comprehension. FAIL!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You said you're inseam is 32.... and you have a half inch standing over the top tube Thats too tight.
    Agree. OP said his inseam was 32 and 1/2 inch standover. It's not even in the ballpark of acceptability...
    bwahahahahaha.... you're sizing a bike based on stand over clearance.

bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Credibility = 0
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast