Need your help to pick!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020

Need your help to pick!

Hi all,

I am currently deciding between a few road bikes. I am a recreational rider and this will be my first road bike so I have allocated about $600 to $800 for this endeavor. I understand this is the low end as average bikes are around a grand but I figured as a beginner let me see if I enjoy this more before blowing through a 1000 bucks. So while I am not looking for excellent quality, I am still trying to get the best deal possible on a bike with decent specs for a beginner. Youtube is overwhelming so decided to seek advice here.

About me: Am almost 5'8" and live in a city with occasional trips to suburbs or state parks. Mostly recreational riding and maybe 20-30 miles on the weekends once in a while.

So here are the bikes which I have shortlisted for now:
    1. Tommaso Fascino Sport Performance Aluminum Road Bike:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1QCSBHXC&psc=1

2. Motobecane Omni Strada Sport Super Road:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...09GSQCOX&psc=1

3. Schwinn Fastback 2 (or the Al Claris)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

4. Giant Contend 3
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-3

I welcome any other suggestions besides the above posted.

Note: I am aware LBS are highly recommended but the ones in my area don't have anything less than $900 or so. Only one carries the Giant Contend 3 which is why its on the above list. Also, I looked up second hand bikes on craigslist and other outlets online but didn't find much. I also believe I am better off buying a new bike than keep wondering if I overpaid on a used bike with sketchy parts given my limited knowledge base on bikes.

Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would go for the Giant. Looks to be nicely equipped (full Shimano Claris) and as a beginner I'd want 2 things. Warranty coverage from a reputable company and name recognition for resale.

It also looks like the cheapest of the options you listed (can't see the prices for the Schwinns). Win/win.

I don't think you are going to see a big difference between Claris (8 speed) and Sora (9 speed), especially under the riding conditions you described.

If you find you like road cycling... you'll likely move on from any of these bikes pretty quickly. The Giant frame is likely the only one possibly worth upgrading components on (although I wouldn't be surprised if all these frames are made in the Giant factory). More than likely, you'll be looking to sell either because you've fallen in love and want something nicer or you find it isn't for you and want to move on. You'll be able to get closer to what you paid back with the Giant in my opinion.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The Giant. Hands down the best choice. Get it from your LBS. They can help you with the right size. They'll handle any warranties.

The Tommaso is junk. Stay away!

The Motobecane is ok, but it's not a road bike.

The Schwinn is ok. But it's no better than the Giant. Not cheaper. And you don't have support from an LBS.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Never Give Up!
    Go with the Giant. Working with your LBS would be the better way to go for a beginner . They can help you with the size, tunes ups, all your questions and possible exchanges with saddle if you don't like what comes on the bike along with any warranties.

Building you confidence and knowledge with the LBS could valuable in the long run
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Banned Sock Puppet
    I concur with the others here on the Giant and finding an LBS that sells Giant. The support from an LBS is priceless - an in-store fitting, follow-up adjustments and warranty support. If you buy online, the bike will need assembly. An LBS will charge extra for assembly and fitting if you bought the bike elsewhere, but these will be on the house if you buy from them.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am currently deciding between a few road bikes. advice here.
    About me: Am almost 5'8"
    Note: I am aware LBS are highly recommended but the ones in my area don't have anything less than $900 or so. Only one carries the Giant Contend 3 which is why its on the above list.
    Thanks again!

Buy the best bike you can because you are going to love it.
    Buy the correct size. And buy the bike that suits your road requirement.

Here is what you want to hear... If you fall in love with riding the road, and your bike underperforms your ability, then you need another bike.
    If you bought a bike that underperforms, you will soon have two bikes.
    Starter Bike $ + New Bike $ = [email protected]&!?%

I like the Giant recommendations Rim breaks... but you should 'Shoot for the Stars.. and have faith in your endeavor. Start with 105 at a minimum.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Starter Bike $ + New Bike $ = [email protected]&!?%
    You clearly do not understand the concept of n+1. Go sit in the corner!

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    its all about relationship with your bike , and for a newbee 105 is where I would bee

Banned Sock Puppet
    its all about relationship with your bike , and for a newbee 105 is where I would bee
    The OP specifically mentioned his budget is $600-800. You won't find a new 105 bike for that unless everything else on it is junk.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Uncaring Conservative
    Apr 2009
    Start with 105 at a minimum.
    By all means, please recommend a bike for the OP with 105 components and in his $600-$800 price range.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    for a newbee 105 is where I would bee
    If YOU are looking for a bike with 105 you could start your thread. The OP however is looking for a bike in the $600 to $800 price range.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm just trying to save OP $800. BuyRight, BuyOnce Rule Of Saving.
    I get having a budget, and shaving cost etc. but I don't want to throw good money after bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If YOU are looking for a bike with 105 you could start your thread. The OP however is looking for a bike in the $600 to $800 price range.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I could give review of Claris vs 105, perhaps you could as well.
    To the point: Claris is limited in its performance qualities and feedback.
    The OP should know that don't ya think?
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:13 PM. Reason: quote

Banned Sock Puppet
    I'm just trying to save OP $800. BuyRight, BuyOnce Rule Of Saving.
    I get having a budget, and shaving cost etc. but I don't want to throw good money after bad.
    So you are saying he should wait a year or more until he can afford a more expensive bike? So keep in mind that he is unable to ride during that whole time. Time is money. Also keep in mind bikes can always be sold when you "outgrow" them.

So taking your advice, I should live in a tent until I can find my dream house, right?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions here. Unfortunately the Giant is out of stock at the LBSs. So my options pretty much at this point are to buy online and take it to LBS to get it assembled and tuned up. Another bummer is with the exception of Schwinn, most other "name brands" don't have anything online at the price point I would like either. So eventually my options have narrowed down to Motobecane Omni Starda Sport Vs the Bulls Grinder 1. I am actually leaning towards the latter given the solid reputation of the German brand, lifetime frame warranty and Shimano Sora vs Claris on the Motobecane. Ofcourse, the Bulls bike is $300 more which includes shipping of $120. Both are not your traditional road bikes and more endurance/gravel geometry. My thought process being I can always put road bike tires on either bike to give me that speed fix (I am not going to be racing anyways at this point) but looking to get something more like an all-terrain bike.

Motobecane Omni Strada ($679 on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZYHHLL..._whd5Eb8M4RDA7

Bulls Grinder 1 ($899 +$120 shipping on eBay)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-BULLS-...cAAOSw87xe1phU

Does anybody have any experience with Motobecane bikes? Their warranty claim is factory warranty and I am not sure what that means.

Appreciate your thoughts and thanks for suggestions again!

G

RoadBikeReview Member
    Low-end Mechanical Disk Break's are junk. Eventually a real pain in the ass.

That's my experience. Unfortunately, now's not the best time to find good deals on bikes.

You get what you pay for, and if you can avoid mech disk and have rim break option your better off .

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions here. Unfortunately the Giant is out of stock at the LBSs. So my options pretty much at this point are to buy online and take it to LBS to get it assembled and tuned up. Another bummer is with the exception of Schwinn, most other "name brands" don't have anything online at the price point I would like either. So eventually my options have narrowed down to Motobecane Omni Starda Sport Vs the Bulls Grinder 1. I am actually leaning towards the latter given the solid reputation of the German brand, lifetime frame warranty and Shimano Sora vs Claris on the Motobecane. Ofcourse, the Bulls bike is $300 more which includes shipping of $120. Both are not your traditional road bikes and more endurance/gravel geometry. My thought process being I can always put road bike tires on either bike to give me that speed fix (I am not going to be racing anyways at this point) but looking to get something more like an all-terrain bike.

Motobecane Omni Strada ($679 on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZYHHLL..._whd5Eb8M4RDA7

Bulls Grinder 1 ($899 +$120 shipping on eBay)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-BULLS-...cAAOSw87xe1phU

Does anybody have any experience with Motobecane bikes? Their warranty claim is factory warranty and I am not sure what that means.

Appreciate your thoughts and thanks for suggestions again!

G
    Oh, glad we didn't lose you. I was afraid our bickering might have scared you away.

Motobecane like Schwinn were both once high quality brands. They are now both budget brands sold either online or at big box stores.

Never heard of Bulls bikes, but did a Google search and found them:

https://www.bulls-bikes.com/produkt/...=524-30649_ZEG

Though this pushes your budget up over $1000, but you get Sora rather than entry-level Claris.

If you are interested in gravel bikes, the Jamis Renegade is a very good one if you can find a shop near you that sells them. They start at $800 and go up from there:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeseries.html

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks, will keep that in mind. You are right that this is the worst time to buy a bike but I really need something even if it stretches my budget a little bit. Which is why itI feelbfeel it is important to get something which could give me a good resale value even if it costs me a little more now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Oh, glad we didn't lose you. I was afraid our bickering might have scared you away.

Motobecane like Schwinn were both once high quality brands. They are now both budget brands sold either online or at big box stores.

Never heard of Bulls bikes, but did a Google search and found them:

https://www.bulls-bikes.com/produkt/...=524-30649_ZEG

Though this pushes your budget up over $1000, but you get Sora rather than entry-level Claris.

If you are interested in gravel bikes, the Jamis Renegade is a very good one if you can find a shop near you that sells them. They start at $800 and go up from there:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeseries.html
    It's all good..I am a dad of a 2 year old so my tolerance level is pretty high..lol.
    I looked up Jamis..seems the ones in my range have Claris groupsets. 😟
    Any thoughts on this Marin bike:
    https://www.bikebling.com/Marin-Lomb...shoppingengine

Looks comparable to the Bulls bike?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I could give review of Claris vs 105, perhaps you could as well.
    To the point: Claris is limited in its performance qualities and feedback.
    The OP should know that don't ya think?
    Feel free to start your own thread about the performance qualities and feedback of Claris vs 105. Whatever 'feedback' is.

No, I don't think the OP really cares since that's not the advice he was seeking. He's looking for a bike for "recreational riding and maybe 20-30 miles on the weekends once in a while". The Giant with Claris will meet that.

So taking your advice, I should live in a tent until I can find my dream house, right?
    No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying you should have no home until you can save up for the one with the best qualities.

Banned Sock Puppet
    It's all good..I am a dad of a 2 year old so my tolerance level is pretty high..lol.
    I looked up Jamis..seems the ones in my range have Claris groupsets. 
    Any thoughts on this Marin bike:
    https://www.bikebling.com/Marin-Lomb...shoppingengine

Looks comparable to the Bulls bike?
    The Marin Lombard 1? How could I not like a bike named after me?

Seriously, Marin is a known reputable brand, you're getting Sora which is better than Claris and I like the gearing 46/30 Crank, 11-34T - with that you could climb just about any hill! At $850, that bike is a pretty good buy.

BTW, have you test ridden any bikes from bike shops? I ask this because no matter how good a bike looks in online ads and no matter how much research you do, it all comes down to feel and fit as to whether you will like the bike or not.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying you should have no home until you can save up for the one with the best qualities.
    Oh come on! That cardboard box is getting old, soggy and beat up!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Headed in the right direction ... Let's hear about that fine Carbon bike with Sram Etap /Ultegra Di you just bought.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Headed in the right direction ... Let's hear about that fine Carbon bike with Sram Etap /Ultegra Di you just bought.
    Your posts make less and less sense every day.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    The Marin Lombard 1? How could I not like a bike named after me?

Seriously, Marin is a known reputable brand, you're getting Sora which is better than Claris and I like the gearing 46/30 Crank, 11-34T - with that you could climb just about any hill! At $850, that bike is a pretty good buy.

BTW, have you test ridden any bikes from bike shops? I ask this because no matter how good a bike looks in online ads and no matter how much research you do, it all comes down to feel and fit as to whether you will like the bike or not.
    I am actually planning to go to my LBS to get "fit" services. It's right now between the Bulls Grinder 1 and the Lombard 1 as both have similar specs though Bulls seems to have a slight edge here (full Shimano groupset). Based on their geometries, I should probably get a 52 on the Bulls or a 54 on the Lombard as effective top tubes are almost the same in both these sizes. The Bulls is a little more upright and has a longer head tube and higher standover height than the Lombard. It doesn't help that neither of these is in a LBS for me to check them personally and decide so I'll just have to make an educated guess.

At least you and the others here prevented me to settle with a Claris groupset so definitely this has been helpful so far...lol

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast