New to cycling

Thread: New to cycling

davemufc1977
    May 2020

New to cycling

Hi all, I brand new to the forum and to cycling. I need your help please with choosing a bike to buy.

I am looking at two in particular the Specialized Sirrus 6.0 or the Scott Metrix 10 but i have no knowledge of which is the better bike overall. I am guessing both have plus and minus points?

Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    difficult to offer any advice when you don't say what kind of riding you plan on doing.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    They're both pretty high end bikes for starting out.

You can save a lot of money by buying a lightly used high end bike from an independent local bike shop.

Often, riders of high end bikes will trade up at the shop that sold the original bike. And the original (used) bike will have been refurbished by the shop, and offered at a deep discount.

If you have a trustworthy independent local bike shop (these are getting harder to find), I recommend starting there with your questions about getting started.

Where are you located?

davemufc1977
    May 2020
    The bike I am looking for will be for fitness riding mostly on the roads and cycle tracks. I am swaying towards the flat bar road bikes.

davemufc1977
    May 2020
    Thank you for the advise. I am based in Warrington I do know of a local trader in the WA5 area who has a very good reputation so I'll give him a call. I do have a Diamondback mountain bike from around 2006 which I haven't used for 10 years and i have used it a lot over the last few weeks and have really enjoyed being out using it. It's a decent enough bike but it's just a bit heavy and has chunky tyres with thick treads so isn't quite right for the type of cycling I want to do. I like the look of those flat bar road bikes.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by davemufc1977 View Post
    Thank you for the advise. I am based in Warrington I do know of a local trader in the WA5 area who has a very good reputation so I'll give him a call. I do have a Diamondback mountain bike from around 2006 which I haven't used for 10 years and i have used it a lot over the last few weeks and have really enjoyed being out using it. It's a decent enough bike but it's just a bit heavy and has chunky tyres with thick treads so isn't quite right for the type of cycling I want to do. I like the look of those flat bar road bikes.
    When you said Warrington, I thought you might be talking about Warrington, PA, USA, near where I live.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by davemufc1977 View Post
    So, by a set of pavement tires for the Diamondback. They make a HUGE difference.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So, by a set of pavement tires for the Diamondback. They make a HUGE difference.
    I second this.

I put a set of Pasela pavement tires on my old Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro mtb for commuting and road riding. The difference between those tires and the fat knobbies was incredible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Try tires for sure, especially since you wanted flat bars anyway. If you like road riding, a road bike with road bars would be nicer, maybe later.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Craigslist is your friend. Buy an older hybrid (like a Trek 7.5, GT Timberline, or Specialized Sirrus etc) for dirt cheap, The chances are it hasn't seen much use at all. Put some Kenda Kwest tires on ($15/each) and maybe a new saddle.. There are many bikes out there that people aren't riding. No need to spend $$$$ 200 or 250 should do it.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I second this.

I put a set of Pasela pavement tires on my old Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro mtb for commuting and road riding. The difference between those tires and the fat knobbies was incredible.
    I third this. Smooth tires roll way easier than treaded tires. Tires are a lot cheaper than a new bike! And if you want to easily go back and forth between road and trail riding, you can have a separate wheel set to swap easily - still cheaper than a new bike!

As far as the many questions that get asked here "which bike is better" or "which should I buy", nobody here can tell you "which is better". YOU are the only one who can test ride the bikes and decide which you like the feel of best.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.