New To Road Cycling And Need Help!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Question New To Road Cycling And Need Help!

Hello All,

As the title says, I am new to road cycling and I am in need of some help. I have never owned a road bike, always bought the cheap $200-300 'mountain bike' from the sports store down the road. I would like to get into the sport and would like to start off on the right foot. I am in it for the physical fitness and love for biking on the roads and trails. I am not looking to participate in any marathons or bike races. If anything I would like to link up with fellow bikers on a trail, and take it from there. I have been doing as much research on bikes as I can. I have found that I may be looking for an endurance bike??? Obviously, everyone has their own opinions on which bike manufacturer is the best. So, where should I start? Any ideas on a quality bike that may last me a few years (until I can spend some good money on a bike)? I wouldn't mind spending $1500 or so on a bike and equipment. I have been looking at the Trek 1.2, 1.5, and the Fuji Roubaix 3.0. A buddy of mine is all about Fuji (he bikes and knows more than I do) so I have been taking a lot of his advice. But is there a better bike for my money? Are those three bikes worth the money, and will they hold up and perform well? As I said, $1500 for my price range, just looking to do a couple weekly 10-15 mile rides, maybe a 20-30 a month, and purely enjoy the biking community. Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Specialized Secteur is a great bike. They are rolling out the '13 models and the '12 are being discounted by many manufacturers. Not sure your size, but the Secteur comes in a SRAM Apex set for '12. It is a very solid groupset that you should be able to get for a great price. Shop may need to order your size. Otherwise just about every mqnufacturer makes an endurance model in that price range. Check out a few shops and see what feels good.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

Cycling induced anoesis
    Before focusing on brands/ models, I suggest pinning down your intended uses. I know you mentioned fitness riding of 10 - 30 miles and some 'trails', so give us a better description of those trails. Are they paved MUT's (multi-use trails), or are you also looking to do some light off roading... packed dirt/ gravel.

Once you clarify intended uses, we'll be better able to offer some options. BTW, thus far, I think your price range is more than adequate given your goals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Before focusing on brands/ models, I suggest pinning down your intended uses. I know you mentioned fitness riding of 10 - 30 miles and some 'trails', so give us a better description of those trails. Are they paved MUT's (multi-use trails), or are you also looking to do some light off roading... packed dirt/ gravel.

Once you clarify intended uses, we'll be better able to offer some options. BTW, thus far, I think your price range is more than adequate given your goals

I apologize for loosely using the word 'trail'. I plan on doing strictly road and paved multi-use paths. I am in the D.C area where there are many paved paths all around. I would love to get out into some mountain and hill areas as well.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by guard597 View Post
    I apologize for loosely using the word 'trail'. I plan on doing strictly road and paved multi-use paths. I am in the D.C area where there are many paved paths all around. I would love to get out into some mountain and hill areas as well.
    Not a problem. They call it the Beginner's Corner for a reason.

My advice is to visit some LBS's, discuss your intended uses/ goals, cycling experiences (if any), fitness/ flexibility, price range, get sized/ fitted to bikes of interest and head out on the roads for test rides. Focus on fit/ feel, ride, handling and control placement/ function and whittle the field from there.

Also discuss gearing of some bikes because you and the LBS know the terrain in your area better than most of us. Ideally, gearing should match the riders fitness and terrain, so something to consider during your visits. If after that discussion you have any questions, update this thread and we'll try to assist.

RE: specific brands/ models, all of the major brands (as well as some smaller ones) offer comparable products at comparable prices. If you hit sales, NOS or closeouts, all the better, but shop for a reputable shop along with shopping for bikes, because they'll be a valuable asset to you, post purchase. Same applies as I mentioned above. If in your travels you have any questions/ comments re: one brand/ model over another, update here and we'll offer some feedback.

Bottom line? Find the bike that meets your intended uses/ goals, fits and feels the best at the shop you prefer and you'll have a winning combination!

Masters Neophyte
    Yes! Totally agree w/ PJ here. Visiting your LBS and trying lots of bikes is the best thing you can do.
    Do not focus on brands- they're all pretty good these days and all will have a competitive bike at that pricepoint. You will be able to get a very capable bike for that budget.
    BTW- now is a great time to buy, as many/most of the mfrs are closing out bikes to make room for next year's models.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."