• 04-16-2010
    JCH
    Newbe - Help please - Bike Question
    I've been looking at bikes lately.

I'm thinking about a 2009 Trek 2.3 or a Cannondale CAAD9 5 - they are basically the same price. The Trek is a left over and 50 miles away, the Cannondale is from a local shop.

I know Trek doped down the 2010 2.3 thus I'm looking at a 2009

Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

JC
  • 04-16-2010
    Hank Stamper
    What are you objectives?

The CAAD9 5 is an excellent choice if you want to get out there and ride aggressively and favor speed over plush. Not that you can't do relaxed pleasure rides on it....just that there are better choices for that.

Not sure about the Trek, I'd imagine it's fine, but based on reputation anyway for aluminum frames the CAAD is considered tops.

I googled the specs on the trek and I know the CAAD9 5 because I have one. Quality/price wise, ON PAPER, probably 6 of one half dozen of the other. Get out there and give 'em a ride.
  • 04-16-2010
    PJ352
    I see both of these choices as a coin toss, right down to their geometry. Similar to what Hank stated, ride both and see for yourself which is best (for you) based on your personal preferences.

If OTOH you want some input/ opinions on the choices themselves compared to some other options in the marketplace, then we need more info along the lines of cycling experience, fitness level, type(s) of riding planned (recreational. fitness/ training, racing) and any goals you may have.
  • 04-16-2010
    tober1
    Nah. Get the C'dale. People will think you're a better person if you ride one.
    I have one, and have noticed my respect ratings are substantially higher than my pre-CAAD days. Just sayin'

Plus I think the 9-5 is still US made...
  • 04-16-2010
    PJ352
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tober1
    Nah. Get the C'dale. People will think you're a better person if you ride one.
    I have one, and have noticed my respect ratings are substantially higher than my pre-CAAD days. Just sayin'

Plus I think the 9-5 is still US made...

Maybe, but your objectivity ratings are heading for the tank, IMHO. Just sayin'... :)
  • 05-12-2010
    JCH
    Well, that didn't work out. Looking into something different.
  • 05-12-2010
    rickm
    Get something different like a Scott or an Orbea

(disclaimer) I am a dealer for both so I am biased. hehe