Newbie humbled
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie humbled

RoadBikeReview Member

Newbie humbled

So here I am, about 100 miles on my new CAAD9-5, and feeling pretty good about my progress. Avg. around 22mph on the old race track for 1.5 hour rides. A pack of around 8 riders, I guess on a local riding team (same jerseys) move in for the kill. Guys blew right past me. The track is around 1/4 mile around and although I didn't let them lap me, it did make me realize that there is lots of room for improvement. I am a runner and know my limits and pace but still havn't figured out my pace for the bike. I am having a blast riding and one day, yes one day, I will be keeping up with the pack! Anyway, just though I would share my newbie humbling experience.

Cheers!

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    thanks for sharing, im a recent roadie noob. i've done mtb for about 2 years now. About 2 months ago i got the road bike itch and bought a 2010 Allez Sport. So far i've only ridden about 150 miles, but i have been loving every second of it. Its alot more convenient than the mtb is. I live in a fairly small town in central Louisiana with only one bike trail and my town and the nearest trails are 1.5 hours away, as opposed to pavment being virtually unlimited.

Anyways, im tossing up the idea of trading in my 2010 allez sport and my 2010 Rockhopper expert and buying a Full Carbon bike.

im just a little antsy about getting out of the mtb riding for good.
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2019 Giant TCR Advanced
    MTB: 2019 Giant Fathom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Had a similar experience riding through the hills of Mulholland. During a short but particularly steep section grade was probably +10% I'm trudging along at 4-6mph and panting so loud you could hear it a mile away. Suddenly out of nowhere one guy blows right by pauses says good morning to me without sounding the slightest bit out of breath, only to be followed by another guy, who does the exact same thing. I've never seen anyone ascend that quickly. Don't know how fast they were going but it seemed effortless and before I could reach the top they were completely gone. Pretty awe inspiring to see and to think the pro tour guys avg. 20 mph on a climb that's just crazy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

riders in a group can draft each other...

and they have the advantage.
    You will never be able to keep up with several riders in a group if they are hammering, don't worry about it. They can draft each other. Unless you grab hold of one of the riders (draft) they will always pass you up as they can simply run at a higher output then a single rider. (obviously there are exceptions). it doesn't mean you are really slower (you might be, but this is not the real question here), it's just physics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's just down right defeating to have someone blow by you like your on a Sunday stroll. It's one thing when a pack goes by, you can blame it on drafting. But, the guy who is climbing the hill at twice your speed, with a smile on his face and throws in the quick "good morning", like he could talk all day.... that's just the worst.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

sayin Good morning

I always try to do that. I don't get a lot of chances at my age, but it does come along once in a while and when it does, I always say "hi" and ride on by....
    Quote Originally Posted by vontress
    It's just down right defeating to have someone blow by you like your on a Sunday stroll. It's one thing when a pack goes by, you can blame it on drafting. But, the guy who is climbing the hill at twice your speed, with a smile on his face and throws in the quick "good morning", like he could talk all day.... that's just the worst.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skizzle86
    Had a similar experience riding through the hills of Mulholland. During a short but particularly steep section grade was probably +10% I'm trudging along at 4-6mph and panting so loud you could hear it a mile away. Suddenly out of nowhere one guy blows right by pauses says good morning to me without sounding the slightest bit out of breath, only to be followed by another guy, who does the exact same thing. I've never seen anyone ascend that quickly. Don't know how fast they were going but it seemed effortless and before I could reach the top they were completely gone. Pretty awe inspiring to see and to think the pro tour guys avg. 20 mph on a climb that's just crazy.

Yeah, I had that one.....except as I struggled up a long, steep hill and was temporarily "parked" for a 1 minute recovery half way up (LOL ), a 110 lb. woman just chugged on by. I was hoping she would stop a little ways farther up to show me that it was indeed difficult, but she kept on going all the way to the top . So I'm guessing she had better gearing than I .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer888
    Avg. around 22mph on the old race track for 1.5 hour rides. A pack of around 8 riders, I guess on a local riding team (same jerseys) move in for the kill. Guys blew right past me. The track is around 1/4 mile around
    You ride on a quarter mile track?

Team training on a quarter mile track?

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz

good, I'm not the only one who thought that was weird.

and it gets better -- 22mph for 1.5hr = 33mi. But the OP has a total of 100mi on the bike? So ... a total of three rides of 33mi each, and averaging 22mph on a 1/4mi running track. And apparently, teams are riding this track also? Hmmmmmm. Just when you think you've seen (and heard/read) it all....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig

and it gets better -- 22mph for 1.5hr = 33mi. But the OP has a total of 100mi on the bike? So ... a total of three rides of 33mi each, and averaging 22mph on a 1/4mi running track. And apparently, teams are riding this track also? Hmmmmmm. Just when you think you've seen (and heard/read) it all....
    +1. Either the speedometer is horribly calibrated or we have some BS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    sounds pretty boring, that's like 120ish laps

RoadBikeReview Member

Fyi

I guess I need to clarify. It is not a 1/4 running track but an old paved auto racing track. Maybe 1/2 mile lap...no idea? Honestly have no idea the length and my point was not to mis-inform but to pass along my experience. Yes I said 100 miles and again I was simply putting out a number. I do not have a bike computer and my speed was estimated by asking fellow riders what their computers were indicating while I was with them. Again, my true average could be 12 mph....and I might have only 16 miles on the bike, just wanted to share my experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been riding for over 20 years and there is not a day or ride that I am not humbled.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Erion929
    . So I'm guessing she had better gearing than I .

She also probably had carbon sunglasses. Bet you were wearing aluminum....

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Yeah I find it helpful to tell myself when I see riders better than I (and there are PLENTY) that some day I'll ride that well too if I keep at it.

Last night I was doing my regular hill (about 600-700 foot climb, takes me 10 minutes) and when I got to the top, I spotted a guy who also rode to the top... with a frickin' cargo bike that had a large metal box on it. I've also been passed buy a guy in flip flops on a long bike that had a child seat on the back.

J T
    Dreamer
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skizzle86
    Nothing bothers me more than losing my wind half way up a hill only to watch seasoned riders pass on by with ease. *I* want to be able to do that someday, so along with regularly riding my 20 mile loop (with lots of hills) a few times a week, I'm jogging on my off days (and when I don't have time to ride). It sucks to be so out of shape, but after a couple of months I can already tell a big difference with increased stamina. I still have a long way to go though.

RoadBikeReview Member

Sorry to mislead that it was a 1/4 mile track....Sir. I have been informed that it is a 5/8 mile track.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig

Wow, apparently your math skills are better than my cunning ability to judge mileage around a track. Apparently it's 5/8 mile and please except my apologies for any confusion.......Next time I will throw in the wind direction and you can calculate my apparent ground track considering that I live in a region with a Magnetic variation of -5.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadent
    She also probably had carbon sunglasses. Bet you were wearing aluminum....

Nah, I had Oakley X-Metal, wayyy too heavy for uphill riding! And you are right...I believe I saw the faint glint of a carbon weave on her shades! Hrummpph No wonder I was the only one that had to stop midway...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    we're an anal bunch here, you might have noticed....
    Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer888
    Wow, apparently your math skills are better than my cunning ability to judge mileage around a track. Apparently it's 5/8 mile and please except my apologies for any confusion.......Next time I will throw in the wind direction and you can calculate my apparent ground track considering that I live in a region with a Magnetic variation of -5.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    There will always be riders that are quicker than you. The sooner you accept that, the easier it will be to enjoy your rides.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

...but why would you want to ride on a track?

Even crits get boring. I can't imagine doing it for any other reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...but why would you want to ride on a track?

Even crits get boring. I can't imagine doing it for any other reason.
    I can't imagine Crits getting boring!.....Quite simply, I am getting used to the bike.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    well, he is not the only one that rides in loops. tuesday to friday training is made in a 3 klm loop, where I ride up to 110 klm. yes it is boring. but where I live, I cant go out to the street, to dangerous, either get killed by a car, or get robbed at gun point, has happened many times to friends. they take your bike then, they will contact you for ransom $$$, ( last year, they robbed at gun point all the bikes from the colombian team, with guns when they came for la Vuelta a Tachira). We do go out on weekends, we get on the highway, and we got 2 team cars, that take care of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen
    I have been riding for over 20 years and there is not a day or ride that I am not humbled.
    Amen to that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast