Newbie re: road bike brands
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3

    Newbie re: road bike brands

    I am looking to get into road cycling and I would like to know what is a good brand and place to buy a bike online either new or used.I would not like to pay much at all. I am assuming I need a "medium" bike as I'm 5'8 160#'s. Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,268
    Quote Originally Posted by project86er
    I am looking to get into road cycling and I would like to know what is a good brand and place to buy a bike online either new or used.I would not like to pay much at all. I am assuming I need a "medium" bike as I'm 5'8 160#'s. Thanks for your help.
    My advice-don't do it!

    Seriously-there's alot of things to be taken care of (i.e. frame size, position, etc...); that a good Local Bike Shop can dial you in in no time. While you can do things on-line (and figure things out on your own-I'm presuming you have only done so a little based on your post) & save cash...in the long run you lose out methinks....
    a good LBS will provide (with purchase):
    -servicing/tune ups to your ride (usually the later are @ no cost)
    -make sure that you're comfy/and not @risk of hurting yourself
    -give advice/tips if you ask
    -in addition to warranty et al.
    -provide you with any extra bits of equipment you may need
    -give a person to talk to/troubleshoot in person-instead of arguing via phone w/some corporation

    Unless you have no choice (i.e. no way of getting to a bike shop w/o taking a plane flight)-I would stay away from doing business [email protected] in the initial plunge.

    HTH!
    ~1201
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    My advice-don't do it!

    Seriously-there's alot of things to be taken care of (i.e. frame size, position, etc...); that a good Local Bike Shop can dial you in in no time. While you can do things on-line (and figure things out on your own-I'm presuming you have only done so a little based on your post) & save cash...in the long run you lose out methinks....
    a good LBS will provide (with purchase):
    -servicing/tune ups to your ride (usually the later are @ no cost)
    -make sure that you're comfy/and not @risk of hurting yourself
    -give advice/tips if you ask
    -in addition to warranty et al.
    -provide you with any extra bits of equipment you may need
    -give a person to talk to/troubleshoot in person-instead of arguing via phone w/some corporation

    Unless you have no choice (i.e. no way of getting to a bike shop w/o taking a plane flight)-I would stay away from doing business [email protected] in the initial plunge.

    HTH!
    ~1201

    Thanks so definitely not buy online eh. Well what are some good brands to look for in the "good quality but cheaper than most" category.

  4. #4
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,268
    Quote Originally Posted by project86er
    Thanks so definitely not buy online eh. Well what are some good brands to look for in the "good quality but cheaper than most" category.
    Most bike companies have a whole range of products...the main differences are the level of componentry (you can buy off the shelf-the stuff the pros ride if you have the $, or the lower end stuff which for most casual riders works just aswell), frame material (and how said frame is made)->and thereby ride quality

    another decision to make-Campy or Shimano components(argument of near religous levels of fire & brimstone)

    Personally...I like the Specialized line www.specialized.com IIRC, I've also had good experience with Bianchi, also Kestrel (I really like my Talon-a middle of the line racing bike) those are the main one's I'm personally familiarwith(having ridden for a long time). Others I might recommend (from hearsay-and a few short experiences) are Giant & Fuji.

    -most LBS carry a few brands a road bikes,so shop around if you can

    HTH^2!
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  5. #5
    Bacon!
    Reputation: Ridgetop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9,190
    Buying online isn't inheritently bad, but as someone just getting into or back into riding this may not be the best option. Someone who rides a lot and has learned the ins and outs of roadbikes can work with the geometry specs and what not to know if the bike is going to be relatively a good fit. A new person who hasn't ridden much doesn't know the different quirks of materials, geometry, build, etc. Stick with the LBS's if you can. You'll possibly end up paying a little more for a little less, but if you buy from a really good shop you'll benefit and be happier in the end I think.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    As a newbie myself, and just getting into biking, I used this forum for helpful tips and than visited the LBS. Went to 4 shops and spent ample time riding. My biggest advice is TEST RIDE THE BIKES and find the right geometry and feel for you!! I am fortunate that here in CO, there are many good shops and we (my wife inc) received MANY good tips.

    While I was on this site, I clicked many times to the advertisers with great deals on bikes and considered them heavily. But once I started riding at the shops I was more concerned about not finding the right fit versus the hype of 50% off. Also, right now there are great deals on 05's. I finally decided on the Specialized Roubaix after riding all the big brands - trek, lemond, fuji, giant... also liked the Supergo Scattante brand but decided on the big name with longer warranty. I couldnt' believe how the different bikes can ride and feel so different. Hope this helps! I'm just sorry it took til 38 to get into road biking.

  7. #7
    djg
    djg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by project86er
    I am looking to get into road cycling and I would like to know what is a good brand and place to buy a bike online either new or used.I would not like to pay much at all. I am assuming I need a "medium" bike as I'm 5'8 160#'s. Thanks for your help.
    The best value is a bike that you can afford that really fits you--fits your body, your style, your riding needs, and budget. As posted above, there's nothing inherently wrong with internet purchasing (which I've done) or used (which I've done ) or used internet purchasing (which I've done), IF you know what you want. But if you don't know what you want, or how to size it, or how to adjust it, the internet is probably not the best place to look. As for brands, there are lots of brands that might provide good value. Jamis, for instance, is known for providing good value for money. Fuji too. At the same time, more popular brands are pretty effective at hitting a number of price points and might also fit the bill, or even fit it better, especially if they offer a model that really fits your needs from a shop that will really add value for you. On top of that, as we move into the fall, you might well see a sale price on, e.g., a Bianchi, or Trek, or LeMond, or Cannondale, or what have you that erases the generalizations about "value oriented" brands versus "premium" brands. These, like Giant, Specialized, and a few others, are available all over. Figure out a comfortable budget and then go looking for shops that seem able and willing to help you search.

  8. #8
    Daylight Fading
    Reputation: eyebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,902

    Insert OldEdScott's FIT advice here.....

    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    The best value is a bike that you can afford that really fits you--fits your body, your style, your riding needs, and budget. As posted above, there's nothing inherently wrong with internet purchasing (which I've done) or used (which I've done ) or used internet purchasing (which I've done), IF you know what you want. But if you don't know what you want, or how to size it, or how to adjust it, the internet is probably not the best place to look. As for brands, there are lots of brands that might provide good value. Jamis, for instance, is known for providing good value for money. Fuji too. At the same time, more popular brands are pretty effective at hitting a number of price points and might also fit the bill, or even fit it better, especially if they offer a model that really fits your needs from a shop that will really add value for you. On top of that, as we move into the fall, you might well see a sale price on, e.g., a Bianchi, or Trek, or LeMond, or Cannondale, or what have you that erases the generalizations about "value oriented" brands versus "premium" brands. These, like Giant, Specialized, and a few others, are available all over. Figure out a comfortable budget and then go looking for shops that seem able and willing to help you search.
    Don't do it Ed!

    BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3

    Thumbs up Thanks

    Man, folks many thanks to the AWEsome replies. One of the best reponding forums I've ever been a part of.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    500
    You've already received a lot of good information, but I'll add a little to it...

    Don't get all caught up in the level of components. I have a friend that has bought two new bikes in the past month. One he bought and rode once, then decided he needed a better bike with better components. His current bike is apart right now because he's upgrading all the components on it. After he's done he still won't be able to keep up with me, and it will make me feel all the better to outrun him on my $600 bike.

  11. #11
    Arrogant roadie.....
    Reputation: Dave_Stohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,232
    I'd suggest you get a Henweigh.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    476

    brand

    it is hard to find a bad bike at over $1000 - no matter what the brand; bikes made with frames that come from taiwan are probably best value in your price range (I like to avoid the ones with frames from Red China - but that is a personal thing)

    you can ask the seller weather in a shop or online - 'where is this frame made' or e-mail the manufacurer -- someone should tell you

    then try to get the highest level components you can for the money; I love Campy (emotionally) But Shimano is by far the best way to go for new riders - for several reasons

    do not focus on brand name; that will cost you -- at $1000 to $1500 a Specialized made in Taiwan is no better than a Jamis made in Taiwan [in fact, most the time the bigger the name the higher the price]

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 04:30 PM
  2. Burley Runabout commuter bike review in DirtRag Magazine
    By meat tooth paste in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 01:48 AM
  3. The Fixie (essay, long)
    By Beantown in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:37 AM
  4. Meeting The Ghost (a story for y'all)
    By Gregory Taylor in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 06:35 PM
  5. Oddly Touching "Found" Poetry --
    By Gregory Taylor in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.