Newbie's Realistic? Goals

Jul 2005

Newbie's Realistic? Goals

Hey all,

Been lurking around the board for a few weeks anticipating the arrival of my roadbike. I picked up a '04 Specialized Hardrock MTB in December and have been hitting a few trails and biking to school. I just recieved my '05 Jamis Satellite last week, and have set a few goals for myself in the next year and a half. Currently I am about 6' and 255lbs. Used to play football, that took care of my knees and back. Biking one of the few activities that actually helps my back to feel better. I think its the motion straightening out my lower spine. Anyhow, how much I weigh means little as compared to how "in shape" I feel. I have a very strong lower body, but I need to grow a decent set of lungs.

This past year my "commute" to school was about 2-3 miles, was pretty much flat. It was great, filled up my truck's gas tank once in 10 weeks. This fall I will have a 10 mile commute which is mainly uphill to school. (Goal #1) Id like the feeling of riding in the morning, wakes me up, and gives me something to look forward to when school is over. The Specialized allowed me to get used to working on a bike. I am a mechanical engineering student, and have been an avid welder/fabricator for about 5 years now. I plan on having my own bike tool set by the end of summer including a truing stand (my own design) and am goign to be welding a Titanium Frame for my friend in the fall. (Cal Poly has a Single Track Vehicle Design class)

School....I go to school at California Polytechnic State U. about 190 miles from home. I have recently decided to stay for my masters so I will be at Poly till Dec. 2006. Goal #2 is to make my final trip home (to Los Angeles) on my bike.

So what do yalls think? Any of this seem unreasonable? Any pointers, books to buy?

Nick
    Last edited by SLO_EIT; 07-06-2005 at 06:48 PM.

when is it obsession?
    Hey, Nick!

welcome and congratulations on your new ride(s)!

I'm 6'5" 240# and also a former football player (tight end/nose guard Div IAA)... so, I can say I FEEL your pain LOL!

Good news on your back...I have two bulging discs which make riding very painful at times. If you are like me, your pain willdiminish as your overall fitness level increases. I lost 30# this spring and have had very few back issues (nothing that kept me off the bike, either)...

I think the best first goal is simple: ride. Ride, Ride, R I D E... nothing will pay dividends for you later than building a solid base of mileage. You have the advantage of being able to alternate your riding between roads and trails... use this to change the pace up a bit and have fun! If you have a computer, you will probably find yourself playing "personal best" games...this can be quite entertaining and beneficial. As for me, I am like Walter Mitty on two wheels... every uphill grade is Alpe d' Huez...every slowpoke I pass is Julich or Basso or dare I say it...Lance!

have fun...

Ride... REPEAT

I love your expressed goals, too. Goal #1 is terrific! Goal #2 would really be an accomplishment...just PLEASE be careful if and when you attempt such a ride. Have a support car if you can or at least, a buddy to ride with you. Ask around the local bike shops for the best routes (may be a bit longer, but stay away from as much traffic as you can)...

good luck, Nick... surely you will meet some of us on the roads and trails. I'll be the big guy on the black Raleigh

bob~
    "Oz was wrong: a heart should be judged by how much one loves...not by how much one is loved by others..."

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    190 miles will require a support group of some type as the other guy mentioned, lots of water, gatorade, energy bars, possible tires/etc..

Will take about 14-18 hours .. probably need lights..

It's not something I would exactly try.. Maybe on do my bike trail path ride 2 times...
    but that would get pretty boring and result in a sore butt.

There are groups that do double centuries out in California.

I'd stick with doing century rides with your local bike group and see how well you do.

You'll probably have to tune the bike up somehow also over 200 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_EIT
    Hey all,

Been lurking around the board for a few weeks anticipating the arrival of my roadbike. I picked up a '04 Specialized Hardrock MTB in December and have been hitting a few trails and biking to school. I just recieved my '05 Jamis Satellite last week, and have set a few goals for myself in the next year and a half. Currently I am about 6' and 255lbs. Used to play football, that took care of my knees and back. Biking one of the few activities that actually helps my back to feel better. I think its the motion straightening out my lower spine. Anyhow, how much I weigh means little as compared to how "in shape" I feel. I have a very strong lower body, but I need to grow a decent set of lungs.

This past year my "commute" to school was about 2-3 miles, was pretty much flat. It was great, filled up my truck's gas tank once in 10 weeks. This fall I will have a 10 mile commute which is mainly uphill to school. (Goal #1) Id like the feeling of riding in the morning, wakes me up, and gives me something to look forward to when school is over. The Specialized allowed me to get used to working on a bike. I am a mechanical engineering student, and have been an avid welder/fabricator for about 5 years now. I plan on having my own bike tool set by the end of summer including a truing stand (my own design) and am goign to be welding a Titanium Frame for my friend in the fall. (Cal Poly has a Single Track Vehicle Design class)

School....I go to school at California Polytechnic State U. about 190 miles from home. I have recently decided to stay for my masters so I will be at Poly till Dec. 2006. Goal #2 is to make my final trip home (to Los Angeles) on my bike.

So what do yalls think? Any of this seem unreasonable? Any pointers, books to buy?

Nick

May 2005
    Sounds great.

My only advice - put some Stabil in your truck's gas tank!

jeff

Palm trees & sunshine!
    If you ride several times a week, eat right and train for a long ride, you should be able to hit your goal by this Dec. It will take a serious effort on your part as a double-century is no small feat for us mortals.

You may want to post specific training questions in the Training forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great dvice here, from guys that know. I'd simply like to add:
    1) Ride a lot. And, on the way home, find a longer way to start adding miles. Local club ridesa re a great way to build miles and friends.
    2) You may as well hear it from me: check your grammar. You're a college student at Cal Poly and very soon it's going to count. Start by dropping "yalls" from your vocabulary.

Best wishes on your goals!

Jul 2005
    >>2) You may as well hear it from me: check your grammar. You're a college student at Cal Poly and very soon it's going to count. Start by dropping "yalls" from your vocabulary.<<

I picked up "yalls" from Cal Poly!!! Other than a largly engineering school, its an Agricultural school. I do practice correct grammer, however this forum strikes me as an informal setting, so I see the use of vernacular as acceptable.

Grammer counted when I still had general education classes. Now that it doesnt matter 99% of the time, I ignore it. Gotta save that brain space for more important things

Nick

Apr 2005
    Y'all gave Nick some great advice. I live in SLO, graduated Cal Poly (architecture) several years ago. I'm the generic looking fat old guy riding around giving everyone the finger. I guess that doesn't really narrow it down. Anyway, have you tried hooking up with the Cal Poly Wheelmen? There's a bunch of them, and they seem to cluster in a bunch of different cliques of different focus and abilities, at least from what I have seen and by talking with a few on the road.
    Your long distance goal is can definitely be achieved in that time frame. At least LA is generally downwind along the coast. But it IS a long way, and takes specific distance training and planning, but you have time. I'm basically returning to the bike, and tried 100 miles a couple of weeks ago, from SLO to the lighthouse past Hearst Castle, up Hwy 1. The pain in the hands, feet, butt, and neck were just as I remebered from the good ol' days. So, while you may have athleticism (and youth?) on your side, it still takes some training of the "parts" and the on-bike metabolism to pull off that much time on the bike. And I mention that route, because it's a good place to try out different distances. Out and back, in case things start going bad and you need to turn around, when you do turn around, it's generally all tailwind back home, and the climbs are some of the mildest around.
    See you out there!
    ..and too much caffeine, he thought.