Pedal / Cleat Compatibility
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Pedal / Cleat Compatibility

I just got a used bike and getting back into road biking after a great many years. The rod bike I got already has Shimano Ultegra pedals. From what I can tell these pedals require a cleat other than the standard SPD cleat a two hole cleat, from what I gather the Ultegra require a cleat with a 3 hole pattern. Is it possible to use a SPD cleat with a two hole pattern?

The reason I ask, Keen makes a biking sandal I would like to use at times instead of a straight road bike shoe. Problem is the Keen only uses a 2 hold pattern.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/...pedal/commuter

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    There are two types of SPD pedals. There is the MTB version which is a 2-hole; this is what the shoe you linked to above will work with.

And there's the road version of SPD (officially called SPD-SL or something like that). SPD-SL requires a three-hole compatible shoe. There's no room to mount the SPD-SL cleat on "walkable" shoes because the cleat itself is fairly large.

still shedding season
    Yes, that's SPD-SL and kfurrow is right. Only real option would be to change out the pedals.