Proper installation of tire?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Proper installation of tire?

Hey guys, I recently got a flat, took the tire off, fixed it, no problem. But it seems as though there is a bump in the tire, Ive tried taking the tire off and putting it back on. I road with it once and at about 35 miles an hour my whole bike started shaking, needless to say I havent stepped on the bike since. Is my wheel untrue, or any tips on making my tire pefect? Thanks!

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by PFriscia
    Hey guys, I recently got a flat, took the tire off, fixed it, no problem. But it seems as though there is a bump in the tire, Ive tried taking the tire off and putting it back on. I road with it once and at about 35 miles an hour my whole bike started shaking, needless to say I havent stepped on the bike since. Is my wheel untrue, or any tips on making my tire pefect? Thanks!
    Have you checked that the bead is properly seated all the way around? There is usually a line a couple millimeters above the bead on the sidewall that should be the same distance from the rim all the way around. When I have the tire partially inflated I work it side to side to make sure it's seated before I finish inflating it.

If that's not the case, make sure the tube is properly installed and seated.

http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Maybe your tire isn't round? Plies are separating thus causing the bump? Your wheel is not round?

Arrogant roadie.....
    Gee, on the last thread you were giving advice. Guess you don't really know that much after all, huh?
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Gee, on the last thread you were giving advice. Guess you don't really know that much after all, huh?
    I was giving based on my expeirence buying a road bike, sorry if that doesnt cut it. Kind of thought this board was to help eachother, not rip on eachother.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Sorry, mistook you for somebody else.

Seriously, if you want a good answer, post it in the general tires/wheels forum, not here. Most of those who post here are just as clueless as yourself. Asking for technical advice in this forum makes about as much sense as asking for investment tips from a bum.
    Last edited by Dave_Stohler; 08-21-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PFriscia
    For the worst seating tires I've used soapy water on the tire bead. Just spray a little on the bead after installing it. Just be a little more careful when inflating. I inflate to 30 PSI, spin the wheel to check for even seating or the bead creeping off the rim and then continue inflating, checking every 30 PSI or so. If the tire still doesn't seat properly when inflated to the max pressure, it's ok to take it 30-40 PSI above the max pressure. Typically you'll hear a characteristic pop when the tire seats into place. Lower the pressure back to something rideable and you're good to go. The soapy water will then just evaporate. You can also just try overinflation without the soapy water first and see if that works.

It's easy to see if your wheel is not true if that happens to be the case, just watch the rim closely near the brake calipers. It sounds to me like it is most likely the tire though. Hope that helps.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Have you checked that the bead is properly seated all the way around? There is usually a line a couple millimeters above the bead on the sidewall that should be the same distance from the rim all the way around. When I have the tire partially inflated I work it side to side to make sure it's seated before I finish inflating it.

If that's not the case, make sure the tube is properly installed and seated.

http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

I had my first flat today after 500 miles. I read this site last night, definitely helped. Thanks!

ari

Jan 2005
    What sort of "bump" is it, and where is it located? If you have a bad cut in your tire, some of the tube can push through the cut and form a bump. This happened to me recently, and I had to replace the tire.

Cheers,
    Ari
    My saddle weighs more than your honors student.