Rear spindle tightness
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Rear spindle tightness

Just bought a new bike and the CycleOps fluid trainer. To use the trainer, I have to replace my spindle (square shaped) with their spindle (round shaped). The LBS forewarned me of this, and so I swapped them -- but now when I want to ride outside and swap back -- how do I know how tight I am supposed to make the spindle? What would be a sign of it being too tight or too loose?

jan

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Quote Originally Posted by janeenadamsmartin
    Just bought a new bike and the CycleOps fluid trainer. To use the trainer, I have to replace my spindle (square shaped) with their spindle (round shaped). The LBS forewarned me of this, and so I swapped them -- but now when I want to ride outside and swap back -- how do I know how tight I am supposed to make the spindle? What would be a sign of it being too tight or too loose?

jan

If I understand your question, you are talking about the skewer and quick release that is used to attach the wheel to the frame.

The joke sometimes is that it should be tight enough that when you close the quick release, the word "Shimano" (or whatever) winds up imprinted in your palm. That might be an exaggeration, but having a quick release screwed down nice and snug so that a little force is needed to close is... well... your LIFE! I've never heard of a rear wheel coming off while someone is just riding along, but I do know one guy who had that happen in front.

He lost some teeth.

Unless you are monster strong, you can't really "overtighten" (ie., can't cause damage) though I guess you could get it so tight that reopening would be a struggle.