Road Bike Newbie.. Advice acquiring decent new bike

Nov 2007

Road Bike Newbie.. Advice acquiring decent new bike

Hi. I've been riding bikes since I was a kid, in 2005 I competed in a charity road race with a 28" tourist bike and came on last.
    Then made the switch to mountain biking since then, actually owning a Giant Boulder SE with crappy suspension. Anyways, with that kind of bike I can't have a smooth ride.

I'm thinking on acquiring a new road bike (I enjoy the speed), but I don't know which bike is decent.

I'm thinking on the Forge CTS 1000 (the Sawback 5xx MTB bike has received good notes as being a 'bang for the buck'
    http://www.forgebikes.com/ctsroad.asp

Any suggestions.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Yes

Don't be a shill for the aforementioned bike dealer on your first post.

Nov 2007
    I dont know what you mean. I'm looking for a decent entry-level bike

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    My advice is to read the above stickied thread about buying a bike on a budget. Go from there.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Spammers......
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guerrero
    Hi. I've been riding bikes since I was a kid, in 2005 I competed in a charity road race with a 28" tourist bike and came on last.
    Then made the switch to mountain biking since then, actually owning a Giant Boulder SE with crappy suspension. Anyways, with that kind of bike I can't have a smooth ride.

I'm thinking on acquiring a new road bike (I enjoy the speed), but I don't know which bike is decent.

I'm thinking on the Forge CTS 1000 (the Sawback 5xx MTB bike has received good notes as being a 'bang for the buck'
    http://www.forgebikes.com/ctsroad.asp

Any suggestions.

Haven't we been there and done that?
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

Cowboy up
    I like the part where you void the warranty of the bike by riding it.

Got Force?
    Don't you think that Target is big enough that any company that makes bikes for them to sell wouldn't need to come on a site to shill for them? Seems kind of stupid to me, but I could be way off base here.
    For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 about that comment to WARRANTY VOIDED WITH RIDE or use or whatever..
    dont forget also the comment about
    27" stand over fits riders 4"1 to 6"1 or some junk like that..

sorry hahaha but those bikes are terrible.. ive seen the bike in person the build quality is terrible.. the components are terrible.... you can buy a used bike with better parts... or just spring a couple more bucks and get a decent road bike at blowout from a store....

check also the best bike deals for unde r$700 thread.. you will get some better insight on what your $$ will buy...
    Last edited by thedips; 11-19-2007 at 10:24 PM.
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

Nov 2007
    thedips, why the laugh.

I don't intend to do spam here. At first I liked the paint scheme on the forge (It kinda looks like a Trek road bike), but that was before I knew about this site and doing research on the different choices I have for a new bike. I'm thinking now on getting an 08 Vent Noir.

Why do all the flaming when a poster is new here and is just asking for advice..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I personally am so sick of reading posts from stupid pricks that sit on thier ass and talk down to others and think they are somehow better than the rest. Here's a tip. Just because you spent a butt load of money on a bike doesn't make you a better person. It doesn't even make you a better rider.
    And would some prick that ,from his own description, spent over $1000 on a bike even be looking at a $300 Target bike? You are so full of ****.
    The Forge CTS 1000 and the Giant OCR3 are pretty much the same bike. Giant even makes the frame. And anyone who says that Giant bikes aren't good,doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.
    And as far as the warranty goes, have you read the warranty on your $1000+ bike. It reads the same. That is the standard bike warranty.
    You people make me want to throw sticks in your front wheels as you ride by.
    The Forge CTS is a very nice bike for someone that is 5'6"-5'9" and is new to relatively new to road biking. It's not the lightest but it is fast, nimble and responsive. The components will serve even novice roadies well 95% of the time. The frame is solid and you can upgrade as you go just like with just about any bike. At this price point, there won't be a better deal to be had.