Scott road bike

Thread: Scott road bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Scott road bike

Quick Question

I'm trying to get in upgrade, a bike store near me has a new Scott road bike (or almost new). They are selling if for 406 bucks.... The only problem is that there is a slight dent in the top bar (I didn't measure is but, I'd say about a 1 cm deep and 1.5 inches wide) I'm not sure if this is a good deal that bike seems structurally sound but, Iím nervous about the dent. Also, they say that because there's a dent they can't sell it as new (does this sound legit?). YAY or NAY?

still shedding season
    I can't speculate on whether or not it's a structural problem (if you could post some pictures others might be able to help), but when they say they can't sell it as "new", does that mean there's no warranty? What model is it? Sounds like an aluminum frame, correct?

Bacon!
    Dents are pretty risky depending on what it did to the aluminum. If it pinched it at all you have a major problem (think bending an aluminum can and watching it tear at the pinch points). I think the number one thing you should think about is do you want to be descending at 45mph on a bike with a large dent in the top tube? I think I'd be having nightmares about it.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by geidyer
    Quick Question

I'm trying to get in upgrade, a bike store near me has a new Scott road bike (or almost new). They are selling if for 406 bucks.... The only problem is that there is a slight dent in the top bar (I didn't measure is but, I'd say about a 1 cm deep and 1.5 inches wide) I'm not sure if this is a good deal that bike seems structurally sound but, Iím nervous about the dent. Also, they say that because there's a dent they can't sell it as new (does this sound legit?). YAY or NAY?
    If they can't sell it as new they can't offer a warranty, so I suggest you pass.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I agree with everything that's been said. The top tube, particularly toward the center & away from the joints, is one of the least stressed areas on a bicycle frame. Unless the dent is serious i wouldn't worry too much about it failing.

I'm concerned about the measurements you gave re: the size of the dent. A centimeter deep is a BIG dent, IMO. 1.5" wide is nothing to sneeze at either. If that's rally the size of the damage I'd pass on it.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Ok well I closed the book on this bike....... I took it home and checked it out a little closer they were telling me that the dent was just a dent not a crease. They also said that the dent was merely cosmetic........

So you could imagine my surprised when I took it home to inspect the dent a little more and when I ran my thumb along the top bar with a little pressure on the dent it made the sides flex out slightly. I mean I know aluminum is suppose to be light thus flimsy but that was too much for me.

I'm a little upset with the bike shop, I see a lot of posts explaining the integrity of bike shops and thats the way to go when picking your first bike. Now here I am a newer bike rider trying to get my first road bike and already have a bad experience......

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    It might be just cosmetic, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the bike shop. They didn't try to hide anything from you. As far as the aluminum flexing, pretty much any aluminum frame will do that. I had a Cannondale that I swore was made of beer cans. I could see the down tube flex when I squeezed it hard with my fingers, so there's no surprise there.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by geidyer
    Ok well I closed the book on this bike....... I took it home and checked it out a little closer they were telling me that the dent was just a dent not a crease. They also said that the dent was merely cosmetic........

So you could imagine my surprised when I took it home to inspect the dent a little more and when I ran my thumb along the top bar with a little pressure on the dent it made the sides flex out slightly. I mean I know aluminum is suppose to be light thus flimsy but that was too much for me.

I'm a little upset with the bike shop, I see a lot of posts explaining the integrity of bike shops and thats the way to go when picking your first bike. Now here I am a newer bike rider trying to get my first road bike and already have a bad experience......
    Your experiences are unfortunate, but just because ALL bike shops aren't reputable doesn't mean it's not the best course for noobs to take. IMO it's also unfortunate that, after having similar experiences, some buyers go the online route, essentially rewarding the 'web store' that offers almost none of the LBS's services.

I suggest you don't yet give up on LBS's. The good ones offer many services of value.