Shoes for regular pedals?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

Shoes for platform pedals?

Iíve been riding to work on my road bike with platform pedals, and I'm looking for an inexpensive shoe with a stiff outsole.

I bought a shoe In Amazon ( Lugz I think) that was supposedly for skating. When I tried it on the outsole was thin and flexible, so I immediately returned it. It looked something like this: https://i.stack.imgur.com/Lc1am.jpg

My question: What inexpensive non-cycling shoes (under $50 preferably) do you recommend for using with platform pedals? I was considering skating shoes, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Clip-ons are not an option.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rbhatup; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:12 PM.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I might suggest you read this article then rephrase your question. Youíll get better feedback. https://www.active.com/cycling/artic...evels/slide-11

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Teva shoes do an excellent job for me. The outer soles are stiff & grippy and the insides of the shoes are gentle and supportive.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    MTB shoes without cleats are always a good option. Stiff and grippy soles and you can walk in them. Many options look like regular shoes.
    If you ever decide to use clipless pedals, you already have the shoes.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

banned
    Mar 2019
    intersting.. I've no idea about your question , but the reply's are good
    so far.. I guess ?

I suggest a Shimano Pedal and a Shimano road cleat SPD L Blue.
    Let's not play games... if you can't do that; this is a Puppet forum.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Any good supportive athletic shoe should work. You won't find anything good for under $50 though.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    intersting.. I've no idea about your question.............
    Good grief. Then why in the world are you replying? Just to troll again?

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I suggest a Shimano Pedal and a Shimano road cleat SPD L Blue.
    Let's not play games... if you can't do that; this is a Puppet forum.
    Yea. STOP playing games. OP specifically said "Clip-ons are not an option."

If you don't want to offer help... move along. No need to troll.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'll second tlg -- get some cheap mountain bike shoes. They'll have way stiffer soles than anything else you'll find. Might want to up the budget a tad.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Abeo shoes work pretty well, too.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea. STOP playing games. OP specifically said "Clip-ons are not an option.".
    Not familiar with that term..Clip ons.
    Let's encourage people to ride road bikes correctly.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Not familiar with that term..Clip ons.
    Let's encourage people to ride road bikes correctly.
    Correctly is what they want to do. Your opinions about 'how it should be' are nothing more than that...opinions. Move along, you're getting too much attention.
    #promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Not familiar with that term..Clip ons..
    Yet amazingly here you are trolling with unhelpful garbage.
    For someone who purports they know more than others about everything, it's amazing you don't know what the OP was talking about. (everyone else did)

If you don't want to help the OP, run along and stop trolling.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Every time I see a post by Rudge, I long for the words of wisdom from ASFOS.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I don't see what the big controversy is concerning the poster's question. The question is as simple as pie. What kind of non-cycling shoes are best for riding a bicycle that has good old-fashioned flat pedals? Shoes the poster might want to use to ride to school or to a job. To the supermarket. For a happy little lunchtime ride around the park.

In other words, shoes with soles stiff enough to keep your feet from getting tired, and that enable you to press down strongly enough to get up a hill without the pedals biting you back. Shoes that don't go over your ankles so that your ankles don't get irritated.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I don't see what the big controversy is concerning the poster's question. The question is as simple as pie. What kind of non-cycling shoes are best for riding a bicycle that has good old-fashioned flat pedals? Shoes the poster might want to use to ride to school or to a job. To the supermarket. For a happy little lunchtime ride around the park.

In other words, shoes with soles stiff enough to keep your feet from getting tired, and that enable you to press down strongly enough to get up a hill without the pedals biting you back. Shoes that don't go over your ankles so that your ankles don't get irritated.
    Rudge is the only person here who has a problem with the OP's question. No other controversy exists.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Ok how about improvising and cutting an insole of firm material?
    You SandBox regulars get so sucked into your own hole.
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:06 PM.

Huge in Japan
    In the hiking world I have found Keen to have a stiffer outsole over other brands. The trade off is they run (at least perceivably) a harder durometer and are less grippy than other brands. You likely will not find Keens in your price range unless on sale, even then 50 bucks is probably pushing it.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    I used to pedal in my converse but after I replaced the stock insoles with hard orthotic ones to get a more stiffer feel.

RoadBikeReview Member

close to my idea -

Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    I used to pedal in my converse but after I replaced the stock insoles with hard orthotic ones to get a more stiffer feel.
    this is close to my idea.
    one problem is too much flex in the sole. Stiff orthotic greatly reduces that. The other part of my idea is to ride with a shoe that includes stiffness from foot to ankle.

Like a wrestling boot, or a...
    Javelin Boot!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBvN...-0ESIE&index=5

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Cheap mountain bike shoes -- no need to use a clipless pedal or install cleats into the shoes. They work fine with a regular flat pedal. They're made for cycling. The soles are stiff which equates to comfort and efficiency. You can easily walk around in them.

An orthotic in a pair of Converse tennis shoes? Really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Cheap mountain bike shoes -- no need to use a clipless pedal or install cleats into the shoes. They work fine with a regular flat pedal. They're made for cycling. The soles are stiff which equates to comfort and efficiency. You can easily walk around in them.

FWIW, I have never played "tennis" in a converse but i have trekked, hiked and climbed in those but again that's just me. I would have recommended MTB shoes but the OP's budget is $50 and he'll be hard pressed to find an MTB shoe under $60 at the least.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    FWIW, I would never wear Converse shoes. They are soft and have virtually no support and with my bad feet, that would be a recipe for disaster.

When I ride my flat pedaled mountain bike, I wear a good supportive thick soled "training" sneaker or walking shoe from New Balance which are stiff enough.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    FWIW, I would never wear Converse shoes. They are soft and have virtually no support and with my bad feet, that would be a recipe for disaster.

When I ride my flat pedaled mountain bike, I wear a good supportive thick soled "training" sneaker or walking shoe from New Balance which are stiff enough.
    Lots of this stuff could work. My recommendation would be to take a look at skateboarding shoes. I think they might have a number of the features the OP is looking for.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Old enough to remember ..
    Late to the party, but

Instead of worrying about the shoes too much, get some half toe clips to position your feet ó whatever shoes you're wearing.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada