Should I buy?

Thread: Should I buy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015

Should I buy?

I started biking in June of last year on a used GMC Denali I bought off CL for $50. I was able to put in about 850 miles in the last 7 months (would have done more but basically had to take September off).

The Denali serves me ok but I think I'm ready for an upgrade and have been offered the opportunity to buy a 2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 with the 105 groupset for $400. It's pretty much stock from when the guy purchased it and he said it's not been ridden in a year but has been recently tuned up at the LBS. Frame is in very good condition and fits me very well (I sat on it and rode it for about 20 miles). Overall the bike looks good and rides very well. But since I'm a noob I don't want to get taken advantage of and didn't know if $400 is too high. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If it fits you and in good condition it's a great deal. It's infinitely better than the POS GMC bike. My GF had the Synapse in the women's version. She loved it.

2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 Triple - New and Used Bike Value
    Last edited by tlg; 01-13-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, hell of a deal if it fits you. And it sounds like you have enough experience to evaluate that reasonably well with a 20-mile ride. You might at some point get some expert advice on the nuances of fitting (seat and bar position, etc.), but it sounds like the frame is probably in the right range.

Have fun.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Thanks guys, just a little gun shy about buying a used bike and not feeling incredibly knowledgeable so I wanted a second opinion. The bike has the compact crankset and not the triple but thanks for the link, seems both are about the same value though.
    I may take it in and do a proper fitting in the spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a hell of a deal. My fiance has the women specific design version of this bike and I admire it close up every time she asks me to wash/tune it. 105 is a great group set - it's probably mixed in with lower tier bits, but who cares - and I believe you will be able to tell a difference from the crappy GMC you're on. (sorry).

I assume these are the same size? Still every bike has a different geometry. You can read up on stack and reach dimensions. These tell you how far away from the crank the headset will be and are a great way to compare to bicycles. If the number is lower of higher in either dimension, you know you'll have to compensate accordingly with stem length and spacers under stem to get into the same position you're in now.

Also, a compact is in all likelihood preferable, unless you're very heavy or out of shape. Easier to maintain and lighter on the bike...you're not riding around with that granny ring that you're not using everywhere

Doooooo iiiiiiiiiittt.... and post pictures pls!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmfries View Post
    Thanks guys, just a little gun shy about buying a used bike and not feeling incredibly knowledgeable so I wanted a second opinion. The bike has the compact crankset and not the triple but thanks for the link, seems both are about the same value though.
    I may take it in and do a proper fitting in the spring.
    I would grab it as soon as possible, deals like that don't come very often

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Great deal on a nice bike. If it fits snag it! C-dale makes a great bike.
    Pics,Pics,Pics!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Here she is.
    Bike.jpg

Frog Whisperer
    Here she is.
    Bike.jpg
    is that an adjustable stem? If so, when you get around to it, get a proper stem. Nice bike, enjoy and ride in good health!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Nice bike! Good price. Now take it to the LBS get a stem and fit.
    Enjoy the bike!
    Bill

What the what???
    Here she is.
    Bike.jpg
    If you got that for $400, congrats! You got a great deal.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    (inhales deeply then exhales) I love the smell of a great deal!!

with pedals and all! smoking deal on a hot looking bike.

I echo others' sentiment to get a "shop" bike fit (nothing crazy, no lasers, just shop guys dialing your fit, should be $75) and a stem (during the fit, just ask for something super basic (i.e. cheap))

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with the others that's a great price. I am not sure about the set-up....the bars are quite high and the seat quite low. If this is the seat height that is suitable for you, I hate to tell you but I think that bike is one or two sizes too large.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats. Is that your seat height?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet bike and a great price!! Enjoy the ride and congrats!!

Neophyte
    I'll add to the pile of posts regarding seat looking way too low and that you should consider a more normal stem. Maybe check out Youtube videos about bike fit if you don't want to pay the $$$ at a shop.

How straight do your legs get when you pedal?

Congratz on the new ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    That is not my saddle height, I took this picture as soon as I got home from getting it so it hadn't been adjusted to me. I rode it this way on a 20 mile ride and had all sorts of discomfort. The guy I bought it off was shorter than I am, not sure how he rode it. I was sitting upright like I was riding a beach cruiser or something.
    I dropped the bar height and raised the saddle while using my trainer to get it better dialed in until I do take it to get fitted at a bike shop.
    I do plan on getting a new stem one I get fitted. Appreciate the advice guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is not my saddle height, I took this picture as soon as I got home from getting it so it hadn't been adjusted to me. I rode it this way on a 20 mile ride and had all sorts of discomfort. The guy I bought it off was shorter than I am, not sure how he rode it. I was sitting upright like I was riding a beach cruiser or something.
    I dropped the bar height and raised the saddle while using my trainer to get it better dialed in until I do take it to get fitted at a bike shop.
    I do plan on getting a new stem one I get fitted. Appreciate the advice guys.

That's good

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    (inhales deeply then exhales) I love the smell of a great deal!!

with pedals and all! smoking deal on a hot looking bike.

I echo others' sentiment to get a "shop" bike fit (nothing crazy, no lasers, just shop guys dialing your fit, should be $75) and a stem (during the fit, just ask for something super basic (i.e. cheap))

^^^This^^^

I emphasize that there is nothing more important than a good fit. Well worth $100 at your LBS.

I cringe when I see adjustable stems. Get rid of it (especially if it creaks) before it kills you and get something fixed.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why no pics of the Denali?

--Pump up the tires and you might could sell it for double what you paid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great looking bike and good price. Should be a really nice transition from that Denali once fitted to you. Congrats.
    2014 Felt F2 w Williams System 45/60 carbon clinchers