Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spandex?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Not for us mere mortals at least. Pics of pros don't count.
    I am sure you have seen discussions of "mortals" wearing pro kit on this site and elsewhere, right?

And then there is this (no longer available) example, from people who should know better: https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110250PRTLRG Not terrible, but not black either.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I am sure you have seen discussions of "mortals" wearing pro kit on this site and elsewhere, right?

And then there is this (no longer available) example, from people who should know better: https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110250PRTLRG Not terrible, but not black either.
    Not black, but probably dark enough to not cause any projectile vomiting. Though there may be a few reasons why it's "no longer available".
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

teoblar
    Feb 2013
    Most of my riding is to get to and from work, or to and from the gym. I have my flappy gym shorts and flappy shirt on for pretty much all of my rides, many times with a backpack on. I'm not particularly self conscious and I'm not going to break any speed records, regardless of what I'm wearing.

I 'feel' that Lycra-clad riders are less inclined to give you the cyclist wave/nod/greeting if you look out of place. Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe I just ride around a town full of a-holes.

I haven't tested this theory by wearing a full kit and riding my normal routes to tabulate social interactions.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by yalerider View Post
    ... Somehow the baggies almost look out of place on a roadie but I haven't been able to get used to wearing the spandex, wondering what people are going to think.
    Which people's opinion is it that you care about?

Other road riders are going to think you look weirder with the baggies on than without (although many or most won't care and anybody that gets really wound up about it you can tell to mind their own business).

Non-riders have mostly seen enough people on a road bike to not care. If they are the kind of idiot to bag on cyclists in general, what you're wearing isn't going to matter.

If some driver in a car notices you and even thinks about what you're wearing, be glad that they noticed you because there's less chance they're going to run you over now.

I suggest you take the "When in Rome" approach, if you find you like road riding you'll just get used to it.

Edit: I probably misinterpreted your statement... if you are wondering what people here think, well I guess here are all your replies. :-)
    Last edited by jetdog9; 01-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teoblar View Post
    I 'feel' that Lycra-clad riders are less inclined to give you the cyclist wave/nod/greeting if you look out of place. Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe I just ride around a town full of a-holes.
    Could be either. Much of my riding is commuting to work, and I wear lycra shorts because they're more comfortable and make the riding more fun by allowing me to ride faster and more vigorously. I'm not going to break any speed records, either, but faster is more fun than slower, all else being equal.

FWIW, I nod or wave or smile at or greet pretty much everyone I make eye contact with on the road, whether cyclist or pedestrian. The ability to have those little interactions is one of the important ways that cycling is so much better than driving a car. But I share your general impression; It seems like roadies in "full kit" are less likely to return the wave.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Waving

Oh yeah, a waving thread -- this should be in "General" :-)

BTW: are you "in full kit" when you wave to those road cyclists?
    IME they wave back in that case... ("like and like"?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    waving...

the only reason most roadies ride is to intentionally ignore the fragile little people who place such great importance on this trivial act.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Well I got used to Lycra, wear for road riding and put my baggies over top for MTB. No one seems to give me a second look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    It always takes a lil while to adapt to wearing kit when you start out, it's all good. It's great when you are no longer self-conscious about it and don't care what people think. I've been to the brewery in kit many times lol.

I also wear kit on mtb as I am Indiana and it gets hot and humid. There's been many times where my kit is completely water logged in sweat here. That and it's way more comfy when racing and riding.

I do like wearing shorts over them on more casual rides just to have more pockets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This thread is too funny. I commute in lycra. If it's a work day I do my errands in it. That has included

-- grocery shopping
    -- doctor appointments
    -- haircuts
    -- condominium board meetings
    -- the closing on a condominium association loan (I'm an officer)

I'm like

Spandex?-540b4923bceeb0280f114f6158c0a4e0.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    This thread is too funny. I commute in lycra. If it's a work day I do my errands in it. That has included

-- grocery shopping
    -- doctor appointments
    -- haircuts

I'm like

Hey, if middle-aged women who are 50lbs. overweight can wear yoga pants in public, I can wear spandex in public.

End of story.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Slowski
    Wow, things must have changed in the MTB scene. In the late 90's riding XC I only wore Lycra. I don't remember seeing any rider wearing anything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post

-- grocery shopping
    -- doctor appointments
    -- haircuts

I'm like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	540b4923bceeb0280f114f6158c0a4e0.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	322657
    Heck yeah. We grew up on Superman and Robin Hood, men in tights.

Nothing works better as far as freedom of movement, comfort, support, temperature regulation. The stuff lasts forever, pills up in abrasions,, won't run, is often repairable. Its the fabric of the future.

I always wear a t-shirt and carry a backpack on business trips; shirt just covers the crotch. Nobody gives much heed. The ladies at the hearing aid clinic thinks its cool a patient rides in to see them on a bike, being that the patients are all 70+ and some of them can barely make it in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I miss wool,although spandex has the advantage of drying quickly. WRT color, see https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens...ike-short.html.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Lycra hero in his natural habitat.

Spandex?-20180518_083206.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12