sun sun sun

Thread: sun sun sun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Cool sun sun sun

Hi

Can anybody recommend some good quality riding glasses?

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much money? I bought a $25 pair of Tifosis at the shop at the begining of the month. I like them alot. I wish they were polarized, but that's just being picky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    You can spend anywhere from tens to hundreds, and I'm not sure you get that much more for more money. I recommend you get glasses that fit tight to the face (to keep out dust and bugs), provide good peripheral vision, come with interchangeable lenses (and that are easy to interchange), come with a sturdy case (to protect them from breaking when not on your face), feel comfortable on your face, and have polycarbonate lenses (light and scratch resistant). Whether or not you want polarized lenses is debated. I say no, but others say yes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Cool sun sun sun cont...

Around 20 to 40 but I want to look goooooooood!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My local shop stocks Tifosi and Specialized. Check out your local shops and see what they have. There are a ton of brands out there.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/products.html

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Of all the glasses for cycling that I've ever had, I like Nashbar's Aires, (sp?) the best. They come with 3 lenses, (gray, clear & yellow), and a very nice hard case. They are also supremely comfortable. I like them better than my Oakleys. Nashbar usually has them for around $20.00 U.S.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Two Words: Wal Mart

Seriously. They have wrap arounds with removable lenses. 10-15 $. I've had a pair for over a year. Dark for summer, polarized, comfortable. No different that what you'd pay twice as much for at the LBS.

Obviously not doping
    i got mine for 10 bucks at a gas station. Rubbery frame so the nose doesn't get slippery and the arms can bend a bit, wrrap around and fit snug on my face to block the dirt/bugs, etc... and I only spent 10 bucks. They will eventually get broken or scratched, and I'll spend another 10 bucks.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyc
    i got mine for 10 bucks at a gas station. Rubbery frame so the nose doesn't get slippery and the arms can bend a bit, wrrap around and fit snug on my face to block the dirt/bugs, etc... and I only spent 10 bucks. They will eventually get broken or scratched, and I'll spend another 10 bucks.
    I agree. Paying $50-150 for bike specific sunglasses is just stupid, IMO.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    iv always used cheap sunglasses in the past, mainly ones from Quicktrip and Walmart. they never fit real well. I just recently got a pair of Tifosi for 50 buck which came with 4 lenses, they are simply put awesome. It was definitely worth the money. I barely even notice them while riding.

So my advice is spend some money on the glasses, you dont need to drop 150 for some rudy projects but decently made glasses are great to have.

thats my 2 cents

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I mostly ride in Nemesis safety glasses which fit well and don't look too bad. They do a good job keeping the wind and 'stuff' out of my eyes (which have contacts in there so I'm sensitive to both wind and sun). I also use Smith & Wesson Code 4 shooting glasses in copper for cloudy days.

Roughly $4 a pair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    What about us poor unfortunate souls who were prescription sunglasses? I don't wear contacts and need some new shades. I currently have a pair of Smith Hudson frames with polarized, prescription lenses from Smith. They're great except they fall off my face when I ride.

53T
    The Right Wing
    Well there is Oakley, and there is all the rest.

Thermoneuclear Protection.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I also ride with safety glasses on, bought at an industrial tool supply. I'm currently riding with sunglasses - Smith & Wesson New Magnum 3G, and I have 2 pairs of clear safety glasses that I ride on cloudy days. The cost was betwee $7-$10. I do have a pair of biking glasses with 3 interchangeable lenses, green, yellow, clear, I bought these to wear at dusk for the yellow. They were on sale at Performance Bike for $20 so I didn't spend a whole amount of money. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the clarity between the two.
    Last edited by lawrence; 03-03-2007 at 05:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm going to chime in on this one...

Because I just bought a pair that I LOVE.

I have previously used the Ironman brand from Le Boutique Target, and I was really happy with them. And, hey, they're $19.99 But I just purchased a pair of Tifosi Slip, model T-V140, with the high speed red Fototc lenses and am super pleased with them. Yes, they cost $59, but, now don't laugh, they come with a nice cleaning bag and a hard case which I plan on putting in my saddle bag and using so they will last. Myself, I don't think $59 is too much to pay for a good pair of lenses that you like. These Fototec lenses really do change with the lighting conditions A LOT. We just got a ton of snow out here in Minnesota and today was the first day I'd worn them when it was this bright out, and they really did get much darker than they had on previous days when there wasn't as much sun and snow.

I have always liked amber frames, and was just a tad put off by the rose color, but after they've been on for a few minutes they don't seem so, well, rosy. The only improvement for me would maybe be if they were gradiated just a tad, you know, lighter at the bottom, darker towards the top, but otherwise I really can't say enough about them.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/interchangeable/slip.html

I've owned a $200 pair of Oakley's, and they were my very most favorite of all, but they got scratched, and there went my $200. 'Nuff said. I'm happy.

-Patric