Tips on getting a more aggressive fit
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Tips on getting a more aggressive fit

I've put about 1200 miles on my first road bike - a 09 Specialized Allez Sport - and I'm interested in getting a more aggressive fit. I only want to change the handlebar position, not the saddle, since I was fitted when I bought it. How do I know what size stem to get? When changing the handlebar position, are there any other parts I need to buy besides a new stem?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by notwist
    I've put about 1200 miles on my first road bike - a 09 Specialized Allez Sport - and I'm interested in getting a more aggressive fit. I only want to change the handlebar position, not the saddle, since I was fitted when I bought it. How do I know what size stem to get? When changing the handlebar position, are there any other parts I need to buy besides a new stem?
    Your Allez comes equipped with a 4 position adjustable stem. It uses a shim for adjustment and normally the one supplied is a +/- 8, +/- 16 and is set at the -8 position. You can check this by looking at the number next to the < mark at the side of the stem (drivetrain side of the bike).

The easiest (and IMO best) adjustment to make for now is going to a -10. This will drop the bars about 5 mm's which doesn't sound like much, but you want to do this slowly because too much too soon could trigger a fit issue.

You'll need a new shim (+/-10, +/-14) so check with your LBS. They might have one available or be able to order it from Specialized. If you're experienced at wrenching there's nothing particularly difficult in making this change, but if not you might want the LBS to do it because it'll require that the headset bearings be (re)adjusted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I forgot to mention that I've already removed a 5mm spacer. Also, when I bought the bike, the LBS switched out the Specialized stem for an Easton stem when fitting me.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by notwist
    I forgot to mention that I've already removed a 5mm spacer. Also, when I bought the bike, the LBS switched out the Specialized stem for an Easton stem when fitting me.
    Then remove another 5 mm spacer, assuming you've got another under the stem.