Are tire tubes all the same?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Are tire tubes all the same?

Putting together a kit. However, there are a lot of options for tubes.

Should I just buy the cheapest one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    yes save for patch kits, tire levers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Tubes are all different. Not only do you have different size presta valve lengths, but there is also a difference in the thickness of the tubes. Cheaper tubes are really thin. One of my friends swears that the thicker tubes are prone to less flats. I tend to think it's the tire that matters more.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Generally cheaper tubes are thicker actually.
    part of the extra cost for non cheap ones is lightness which comes from the thinness,

Anyway, I can't tell the difference from one tube to the next ride quality wise but I have had valve problems with really cheap ones so I buy something decent. I figure if something gets though my tire it'll go through any tube so they aren't a consideration as far as flat protection goes.

Cycling induced anoesis
    They aren't all the same, but how much different is a matter of opinion.

Here's Sheldon's take:
    Bicycle Tires and Tubes

FWIW, this is my preference:
    Continental Race Road Presta Tube 700c x 18-25 - Road Tubes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the help!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Whenever possible I buy tubes with thread-less valve stems. It's much easier to get the pump or CO2 pump on & off, the smooth, non threaded stem gives a better seal, & the thread-less stems don't chew up the rubber gasket in your pump. Thread-less stem tubes can be a little hard to find sometimes. My LBS stocks them under the Giant brand name. Michelin makes them, too.

If you buy latex tubes, which are thinner & lighter than butyl tubes you'll have to pump them up every time you ride. Latex is more porous than butyl & leaks air out faster. Latex tubes are also more expensive.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.