Used Giant

Thread: Used Giant

Jun 2008

Used Giant

I've been looking for a used bike for a friend of mine. We have been out a few times and have done 40 miles. Him on a mountain bike me on a road. He wants to get a road bike without the big price. He is 52 years old (but in very good shape) and will ride mostly on weekends. Every one says to go with at least shimano 105s. But I have found a 2008 Giant with Sora gears for $350(on Craigs list). Will this work for what he does and is it a good deal. Thanks Carl

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by simple2man
    I've been looking for a used bike for a friend of mine. We have been out a few times and have done 40 miles. Him on a mountain bike me on a road. He wants to get a road bike without the big price. He is 52 years old (but in very good shape) and will ride mostly on weekends. Every one says to go with at least shimano 105s. But I have found a 2008 Giant with Sora gears for $350(on Craigs list). Will this work for what he does and is it a good deal. Thanks Carl
    I'm not up on used bike prices, so I'll leave that to another member, but you might want to provide a link to the CL listing and/ or tell us the model in question.

Regarding Sora: IMO it'll function fine for your friends intended purposes, but if he is as fit as you say (thus will spend some time in the drops), the ergonomics of the Sora's may not suite him. They utilize a thumb shifter that's used to shift to the inner chainring and smaller cogs (rather than the Tiagra's/ 105/ Ultegra/ DA inner levers), so getting to that thumb shifter from the drops is all but impossible. If OTOH, he plans on riding on the hoods or tops a lot, Sora's are fine and seeing as this is his first road bike, he can start out with the Sora's and upgrade in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I am in the 105 or better camp. It avoids the need/desire to upgrade.

I would look at completed auctions on E-Bay to see if the Giant is priced in line with what similar year & model bikes are getting.