What road light do you recommend?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

What road light do you recommend?

I recently bought a road light at Amazon for about $12, it looks something like this. I used it tonight and it just isn't bright at all. It does nothing.

What do you guys recommend? The park I ride in (modtly at night) has several slightly lluminated sections, but some areas are just pitch dark.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Minimum 450 lumens, preferably 700 to 850 and rechargeable of course. Cygolite is what I use, great brand which is reliable, I would recommend it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Minimum 450 lumens, preferably 700 to 850 and rechargeable of course. Cygolite is what I use, great brand which is reliable, I would recommend it.
    ^This.

Cygolite makes great lights.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't go wrong with a cygolite. I've had one for years.

I agree, 450lm is the minimum. If you're riding over 15mph, then it's barely enough. If you're riding in a park then it may be ok.

It also depends on the length of your ride. A 450lm light on high is only going to get you up to 1hr. A 700-1000lm light doesn't cost much more and you can run them at 500-600lm for a few hours.

$68 for 1100lm is a pretty good deal.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr.../dp/B01N4ANAPU
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've been using magic shine lights for the last several years.

https://www.amazon.com/Magicshine-Wa...79324222&psc=1

They've lasted me several seasons and are so cheap I have one on each of my bikes. I commute in the dark on an unlit bike trail and still only need to run the thing on medium. $68 for that cygolite is a pretty good deal too. Those are good lights. Go for something that's 900-1000 lumens. Not that you'll always need that much light, but it's good to have it, and I think most manufacturers over state how bright their lights really are.

The OP might balk at spending $60-$70 for a light, but to someone who has been commuting in the dark for decades, it's incredibly cheap. Lithium batteries make lights these days so light and compact and the LED bulbs make them so bright. Years ago, I can recall paying $200 for a crappy Niterider light with half the brightness, powered by a big NiMH battery that fit in the water bottle cage, lasted maybe an hour and took 8 hours to charge. And I thought that was great compared to my Bike Nashbar system that consisted of a lead acid battery strapped over the top tube and two lights velcro strapped to the handlebars that never stayed in place. Lights ... one of the few biking things that have gotten much better and much cheaper over time.

DBT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I have had great luck with Light & Motion. I have 2 of their headlights (Urban 850 and 550) that I rotate, along with a seat post mounted taillight (Vis180). In the darkest of winter commutes, I also use the helmet mounted head/tail light (Vis360) to help with seeing and being seen.

Russian Troll Farmer
    You need something that has a separate battery and a cord I bought one that has something like 7 LED bulbs for about $35 from Amazon. Not terribly light, but the battery has enough storage that I'll never deplete it on a ride. While the light pattern isn't terribly wide, it is freakin' bright! The flash mode causes reflection from street signs 3 or 4 blocks away!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You need something that has a separate battery and a cord ...........
    No you don't. See below - battery contained within light, no external battery required:

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    $68 for 1100lm is a pretty good deal.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr.../dp/B01N4ANAPU
    I have the 850 lumen Cygolite Expilion which was at the time the brightest light available with an internal battery.

Another vote for Cygolite.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You need something that has a separate battery and a cord
    Why? If you're riding for an hour or two, a light with built in battery is perfectly fine and you don't have to mess with routing wires around you or your bike.

The OP is riding around the park at night. I imagine that's not a 2+ hour ride.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    No you don't. See below - battery contained within light, no external battery required:
    I have the 850 lumen Cygolite Expilion which was at the time the brightest light available with an internal battery.
    Yeah, the 850 my favorite for riding in the dark on the streets, nice wide beam and plenty bright plus the Expillions have removable internal batteries so you can swap them out on longer rides. I like the 450 for daytime riding because it has a better flash pattern to catch driver's attention.

For off road I like the Cygolite Triden 1300 with external battery because it is brighter and has a wider beam than the 850 which helps off road at night.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Anyone else having Niterider Luminas bricking themselves in short order?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'm a big fan of the Bontrager front and rear lights (Ion and Flare series).

They are very well made, charge quickly, and have all of the modes I like to use for my early morning and late evening commuting.

The modular mounts are great. I have a Flare RT on the back of my Giro Aether helmet and a backup strapped onto my seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I actually like the Nightrider Lumina.....I think mine is the 1000 lumen model. Works fine for my needs. I don't intentionally ride at night and, primarily, use the strobe feature or solid beam when I need light to get to an early ride during the Winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtwenty View Post
    I recently bought a road light at Amazon for about $12, it looks something like this. I used it tonight and it just isn't bright at all. It does nothing.

What do you guys recommend? The park I ride in (modtly at night) has several slightly lluminated sections, but some areas are just pitch dark.

Thanks.
    The others have pretty much covered what you need.

What you bought is not designed nor can it be used as a light to illuminate anything. They are for you to put on your bike so people can see you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use bike lights for two reasons: riding at night in wilderness in pitch darkness, or riding on the road in daytime or dusk, or just after dusk. On the MTB I need super bright lights, dual lights of thousands of lumens.

On the road bike I just use a Cygolight Dash 450. Love the Dash series because they are tiny and lightweight enough to be used on the bike all the time - daytime with just a flasher, night time with just enough light to see my way home. But I would not set out into the dark with this light, just use it for times nearing dusk or just after dusk 'too-see'. It is not quite as nice as say a 800 lumen light for seeing the road ahead, and many deer here. It can work as a helmet light on a mtnbike in combo with a brigher bar light, though I prefer brighter.

Though last night it got dark into our ride and my light went dead because I did not charge it, lol. So I swapped with my wife and I led the ride.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Anyone else having Niterider Luminas bricking themselves in short order?
    I just had two go a few days apart a couple weeks back. One was a 950 Boost, just the little OLED display quit working but the rest was OK. I sent it back and they repaired it for nothing. The other one was a 600 that's about 5 years old. I got caught in a nasty rainstorm and watched the light die a slow painful death. They said to send that one back too with a check for $25 and they would repair it. I haven't got that one back yet. Hoping soon as it's nice to have a backup at times.