Why does no one use discs in road racing and why not put discs up front too?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Why does no one use discs in road racing and why not put discs up front too?

I know in TT bikes, a solid rear wheel is best for aero. I've been reading online about cycle aerodynamics, and the benefit from a solid wheel in the front is almost twice that of adding a solid wheel in the back. I'll post the link to the site if I can find it again. Anyways, why doesn't anyone use a solid wheel in the front? I know wind could be an issue but what if you know there won't be any wind that day?

Also, why doesn't anyone in road racing use disc wheels?
    I am a Mechanical Engineer.

banned
    Apr 2006
    handling, weight, possibly banned by UCI (like aerobars for example)
    and disc up front? Not usually -> crap handling

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDomino
    As M_E suspected, the UCI mandates at least 12 spokes per wheel for mass-start racing. If the wheel does have 12 spokes or more but is "non-standard" in some other specific ways defined by the UCI, it has to be approved by the UCI before it can be used. The UCI publishes a list of approved non-standard wheels every year.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    You mean like this?

This was an 80's time trial bike.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

banned
    Jan 2004
    Technically, road bikes DO use disc brakes: The rim is the disc, and the calipers grab it from both sides. What we think of as discs now tend to be heavy, some people (me) think they're ugly, and in actual riding, they don't work much better than properly set-up sidepulls.

banned
    Apr 2006

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Technically, road bikes DO use disc brakes: The rim is the disc, and the calipers grab it from both sides. What we think of as discs now tend to be heavy, some people (me) think they're ugly, and in actual riding, they don't work much better than properly set-up sidepulls.
    yeaaaahhh..ok then...but did you miss the big clue in the pic above?
    were talkin about disc wheels!

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Agenda? LOL - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

banned
    I know in TT bikes, a solid rear wheel is best for aero. I've been reading online about cycle aerodynamics, and the benefit from a solid wheel in the front is almost twice that of adding a solid wheel in the back. I'll post the link to the site if I can find it again. Anyways, why doesn't anyone use a solid wheel in the front? I know wind could be an issue but what if you know there won't be any wind that day?

Remember last time you were riding in a heavy crosswind, and how yer front wheel got a tiny bit squirrely? Now imagine what would happen with a disc wheel.

Ouch.

Steaming piles of opinion
    ...but what if you know there won't be any wind that day?
    If you can pull that trick, you've got far better things to do with your time than piddling about on bicycles.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    lol

so let me pose this question next. why not use a TT helmet in road races? is that also restricted by the UCI?

wouldn't it make sense to have one if you broke away from the pack? it'd give you a slight advantage at that point.

banned
    Apr 2006
    lol

so let me pose this question next. why not use a TT helmet in road races? is that also restricted by the UCI?

wouldn't it make sense to have one if you broke away from the pack? it'd give you a slight advantage at that point.
    I know you didnt intend it but that is actually funnier than th e one you were laughing at.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it may be retarded but from an engineering point of view, everything else constant, if you're more aerodynamic then you're going to be faster.

so why aren't people using them?

banned
    Apr 2006
    yeah but....

Man, I'm Awesome
    it may be retarded but from an engineering point of view, everything else constant, if you're more aerodynamic then you're going to be faster.

Time trials are generally pretty short, only about an hour or so. An aerodynamic helmet has very little ventilation, if any at all. I would not want to ride for four hours or more at the front with an aero helmet on, as I would probably pass out from the heat exhaustion. Plus, they are much heavier than a regular helmet.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg
    Time trials are generally pretty short, only about an hour or so. An aerodynamic helmet has very little ventilation, if any at all. I would not want to ride for four hours or more at the front with an aero helmet on, as I would probably pass out from the heat exhaustion. Plus, they are much heavier than a regular helmet.
    And by venting a TT helmet, you're essentially creating a road bike helmet with a stupid fin that weighs a lot. Got it. Thanks.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Crap, I wear a TT helmet just to impress the ladies.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

'brifter' is a lame word.

'cuz the ja*$#ss wearing the tt helmet would get knocked into a ditch before the stage even started...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards