1st fixed? State Contender or IRO Mark V Pro? Others?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

1st fixed? State Contender or IRO Mark V Pro? Others?

I've been riding on the road for quite a few years and have done a fair amount of bike commuting as well. I've got a dedicated road bike and a commuter that I can load up with panniers for grocery/beer runs. I'd like to get my first fixed gear for quite a few reasons and would love some advice.

I don't have ambitions for track racing (yet) mostly because I've never road raced and am not sure it's my thing. I live in an urban environment and will be learning to ride fixed in/around a lot of car traffic. The roads aren't fantastic around here, and I know I want a steel frame.

I'd like to spend no more than $700 for this addition to my collection. The two options that seem solid so far are these:
    State Contender
    IRO Mark V Pro

First, in terms of components, which build looks to be of higher quality?
    Second, is the type of steel in the tubing of particular importance? The State is a 4130 alloy and the IRO is Reynolds 631.

Any other builders I should be looking at that would have comparably priced and spec'ed models?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by T1G3R View Post
    I've been riding on the road for quite a few years and have done a fair amount of bike commuting as well. I've got a dedicated road bike and a commuter that I can load up with panniers for grocery/beer runs. I'd like to get my first fixed gear for quite a few reasons and would love some advice.

I don't have ambitions for track racing (yet) mostly because I've never road raced and am not sure it's my thing. I live in an urban environment and will be learning to ride fixed in/around a lot of car traffic. The roads aren't fantastic around here, and I know I want a steel frame.

I'd like to spend no more than $700 for this addition to my collection. The two options that seem solid so far are these:
    State Contender
    IRO Mark V Pro

First, in terms of components, which build looks to be of higher quality?
    Second, is the type of steel in the tubing of particular importance? The State is a 4130 alloy and the IRO is Reynolds 631.

Any other builders I should be looking at that would have comparably priced and spec'ed models?

Thanks!

Fyxation bikes out of Wisconsin

RoadBikeReview Member
    The IRO uses 631 Reynolds and the State uses 4130 Alloy. I don't know of a steel frame that isn't 4130, but I do know that "4130" is usually the term used on cheap, low quality, steel bikes. With that said, I'd get the IRO. Better frame. Still, find out which tubes are 631 because the top and downtubes are 631, If all of them are, that bike is a steal!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Wabi Cycles. The Classis and Special are reynolds 725 steel. Classic is tig weld and $700+$40 shipping. The Special is lugged and $200 more. both weigh just over 18 lbs without pedals or cage. The Classic will take really wide tires if you want and has eyelets for fenders and rack. The components are descent-really don't need to replace anything. You get to select size of the various components such as gearing, bars, stems. Lots of useful information on web site. It is a one man operation and Richard will spend time on the phone speaking with you and answering questions. The frames are road geo. frames, not track, except for high bottom bracket and track dropouts. I've never read any complaints about Wabi bikes or Richards customer service.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Kilo TT Pro is a popular single speed choice at a low price - Reynolds 520 steel

Mercier Fixie Singlespeed Track Bikes - Kilo TT PRO

CYCLOPHILIAC.com - American Made Cycling