2004 Bianchi Carbon vs 2004 Roubaix comp Vs 613
    RoadBikeReview Member

2004 Bianchi Carbon vs 2004 Roubaix comp Vs 613

I have recently gotten an unexpected bonus check from work and want to upgrade my current ride. I am a recrider that expects to do a few NC mountain centuries as well the usual weekly group rides. I am 6' 4 and weigh 210. I hope to be 200 around the beginning of the season.

I was curious what your guys impressions were of these bikes. The Bianchi is a beatiful bike, lite as can be, but I wouldn't be able to test ride it.

I have a specialized roubaix and 613 (r2000) test ride scheduled for upcoming group rides, so that should help.

I actually have the wifes backing in spending 3150 on a bike. I want to make sure I make the right decision. I am currently thinking:

1. bianchi - I love the looks, its italian and not everyone has one.

2. 613 - i have had cannondale before and loved it yet it was rough on the bones. I am not sure if it is mountain cantury comfy...

3. roubaix - the reviews are awesome... it seems designed for the centuries, but it is made in taiwan and lots of them are around. I also like campy and would need to get used to Shimano...

What do you guys think....
    Last edited by Seamusthedog; 01-30-2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: a little spelling error, probably needs to be checked again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Try posting on bicycling.com. Lots of advice there....

http://forums.bicycling.com/forum.jspa?forumID=6

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Go with the Roubaix and...

With the bucks you saved by not going with the 613, upgrade the wheels, or see if your LBS will give you credit for the Shimano parts for Campy?

The Bianchi's probably pretty good too, but I don't know. The reviews of the Roubaix have been uniformly positive. The 613 is really nice, but I'm not sure it's nice enough to justify the difference. You can get a better Roubaix set-up for the same money in my opinion.

I second checking out Bicycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    1) The Bianchi is also made in Taiwan.

2) The Six-thirteen is a nice bike but is designed as a lightweight race bike.

3) All three are nice bikes.

4) At the price you are talking and the type of riding, I would strongly suggest you also consider a TI frame or custom steel. Independent Fabrication, Gunnar, Waterford, Tom Teesdale, Strong, Curtlo and many other small great manufactures exist that will build you a bike customized to your fit and riding style.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

been there, done that, Roubaix Comp won

Quote Originally Posted by IvanK-
    With the bucks you saved by not going with the 613, upgrade the wheels, or see if your LBS will give you credit for the Shimano parts for Campy?

The Bianchi's probably pretty good too, but I don't know. The reviews of the Roubaix have been uniformly positive. The 613 is really nice, but I'm not sure it's nice enough to justify the difference. You can get a better Roubaix set-up for the same money in my opinion.

I second checking out Bicycling.
    All these are great bikes.

I test rode 2005 Bianchi 928 carbon versus a 2005 Roubaix Comp in Dec 2004 and for me it was no contest - Roubaix Comp won easily and I bought it about 4 weeks ago. So far after 200 miles no complaints. Bianchi was also heavier than Roubaix. Also note that Bianchi is a relative new-comer to all-carbon frame business (~3 years?). Their warranty is not as good on frame/fork as Specialized and Cannondale and Trek.

Six16 is a great bike, alloy rear end, I am told, but not as comfortable for longer distance riding as is Roubaix Comp but it is more suited to criterium and the like types of rides - faster steering etc... So what type of riding do you want to do? Six13 it is also a little bit more expensive than Roubaix and Bianchi, as far as I know.

RoadBikeReview Member

How did the Bianchi ride compared to the Roubaix?

Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider
    All these are great bikes.

I test rode 2005 Bianchi 928 carbon versus a 2005 Roubaix Comp in Dec 2004 and for me it was no contest - Roubaix Comp won easily and I bought it about 4 weeks ago. So far after 200 miles no complaints. Bianchi was also heavier than Roubaix. Also note that Bianchi is a relative new-comer to all-carbon frame business (~3 years?). Their warranty is not as good on frame/fork as Specialized and Cannondale and Trek.

Six16 is a great bike, alloy rear end, I am told, but not as comfortable for longer distance riding as is Roubaix Comp but it is more suited to criterium and the like types of rides - faster steering etc... So what type of riding do you want to do? Six13 it is also a little bit more expensive than Roubaix and Bianchi, as far as I know.
    The Bianchi I would be getting would be speced with Campy Chorus but without wheels. I have campy protons that I would use. This will keep the cost down but I would love to have a spare set of rims....

I was curious what the Bianchi ride was compared to the roubaix in your opinion.

thanks for your time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

It's all in the FIt!

I'm going from a LeMond Zurich to a Six13 (orderd yesterday) because my Zurich does not fit as well as I would like. As most said, all those are nice bikes. My Zurich was really comfortable, so if I slected a new bike that was as or more comfortable, that could only be a plus.

The Six13 was really a nice ride, I feel I could ride that bike all day without any comfort issues what-so-ever. I guess I like flare, and the Six13 is one hot bike! I will admit though, that the all-carbon bikes like the Trek Madone and Krestrel Evoke (which was the most comfortable bike I've ever tested) I tried we even more comfortable, again, not that the area was a concern.

Fit: Again, the top tube on the Zurich was a bit long, I measured the distance and decided from there how much to less top tube I wanted. I ended up getting the Six13, partly because the top tube is 55.3 cm vs 56.5cm LeMonde, it may seem a verly slight difference, but that little distance, can make all the difference in the fit, which= COMFORT.

That's my 2 cents.

Michael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Bianchi 928 was a nice ride but did not feel special given its price

Quote Originally Posted by Seamusthedog
    The Bianchi I would be getting would be speced with Campy Chorus but without wheels. I have campy protons that I would use. This will keep the cost down but I would love to have a spare set of rims....

I was curious what the Bianchi ride was compared to the roubaix in your opinion.

thanks for your time.
    I tested 2005 Veloce 10 Bianchi 928 and whereas it felt quite nice and it felt a lot more comfortable than my all-aluminium Trek 1000 it still did not make me wish to part with my money that much. The Roubaix Comp 2005 on the other hand did feel relatively special, it felt more comfortable than Bianchi 928 for my 40+ years young old man's body (poor back flexibility, etc) and I immediately felt at home on Roubaix Comp.

I did not test Six13 because it was ~15% more than a comparable Roubaix Comp and I did not want any aluminium on my new bike at all since I was looking for *comfort for long distance riding*. I did not care all that much about sharper handling for criterium/time-trial/etc type of riding. If I did then I would look at Six13, Madone, Specialized Tarmac, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

roubaix all the way (iho)

I was in the same situation as you last summer and after riding all three I went with the roubaix. After 1500 miles I couldn't be any happier. The six13 is definitely more of racing bike and the stiffness was noticeable on even a short test ride. I started out wanting the bianchi as I already owned an aluminum bianchi and had enjoyed it very much. However after riding the bianchi I just wasn't very impressed. The bike just didn't feel right.

Whatever bike you pick just make sure that it fits and YOU like the way it rides. A bike's uniqueness only goes so far if you don't like the way it rides.

Dropout

Thumbs up Roubaix

Another vote for the Roubaix Comp. I felt at home on it from the first test ride. I've only had mine about 350 miles but I'm not even interested in skiing this winter, I just want to ride my new bike! Normally I use about 90 psi, as I'm light and 51 years old and don't care if it slows me down by 0.1 mph, but I just tried 100-110, and it still gave a nice smooth ride. Impressive.

Disclaimer: I have not ridden the others. I did see the Bianchi at Velo-swap, and it is indeed beautiful. But my oldest riding buddy said about the Roubaix, "I really like the lines of that bike." It is a curvaceous frame.

If you like the Roubaix's ride, why not just buy a frame, use your wheels and fit it out with a Campy gruppo? Or buy an Elite and sell the components. The one thing I missed about buying a bike is that I didn't get to build it. Then again, I grew up with steel and tighten everything by feel, which may not be the way to work with carbon.