2006 Litespeed

Thread: 2006 Litespeed

I've got to get in shape.

2006 Litespeed

Did anyone notice that Litespeed doesn't make aluminum frames anymore?

I was looking at the updated Litespeed webpage and I noticed that all of their aluminum models have vanished. Additionally, all of their frames that were carbon/ti are gone too. For 2006, Litespeed makes only all-titanium models or even an all-carbon model.

The carbon model looks a lot like a Scattante/Performance, but a lot of carbon bikes look very similar to me. The funny thing is that their 2005 catalog wrote at length explaining how "inferior" carbon fiber is as a frame material.

Perhaps the right profit margin made them change their minds on carbon?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last I heard from UK distributor recently was that the Pavia was being phased out. I reckon Litespeed decided to concentrate on what they do best - Ti.
    It's nice to see a company recognising that spreading yourself too thin is not good business sense.

keep rubber side down

I'M also wondering about Litespeed!

See my posting higher up, from a few minutes back...

Listepseed also had thos flared carbon steatstays going on the Siena. they're no longer there in 2006; the Siena is a full Ti frame. Why?

It could be because of this alu business gone with the provider...?
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre

Does it matter?
    They probably just have a carbon frame made from somewhere in asia and stick their name on it. Probably so that one of their dealers doesn't have to stock and sell a competitors brand of carbon frame. That was probably the same issues with Al. frames. But Carbon is the "hot" ticket now. That's what I think. Take it for what it's worth.

I didn't get the Carbon Stays on the Litespeed frames. I think the Ultimate and Siena are more appealing in this model year than in the recent past. Also glad they went back to the traditional headtube. I think this was based on customer demand. That's what I read around here a month or two agao.

fmw

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mersault
    They probably just have a carbon frame made from somewhere in asia and stick their name on it. Probably so that one of their dealers doesn't have to stock and sell a competitors brand of carbon frame. That was probably the same issues with Al. frames. But Carbon is the "hot" ticket now. That's what I think. Take it for what it's worth.
    Of course. Litespeed is good at titanium. I doubt they know much about CF frames. So what they did is they went to Taiwan and bought a nice CF frame and painted it into a Pavia. At least two other bike companies have used the same frame. I have the same frame from another source. It's light and performs very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmw
    Of course. Litespeed is good at titanium. I doubt they know much about CF frames. So what they did is they went to Taiwan and bought a nice CF frame and painted it into a Pavia. At least two other bike companies have used the same frame. I have the same frame from another source. It's light and performs very well.
    Not this again!

I took the time to check with Litespeed.
    1 The Pavia is made in the Far East
    2 It is their own design - in lay-up, weave & lacquer
    3 It is not an off the peg design.

Your frame is categorically NOT a Pavia without the decals. It may perform well but it ain't a Litespeed Pavia.

fmw

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    Not this again!

I took the time to check with Litespeed.
    1 The Pavia is made in the Far East
    2 It is their own design - in lay-up, weave & lacquer
    3 It is not an off the peg design.

Your frame is categorically NOT a Pavia without the decals. It may perform well but it ain't a Litespeed Pavia.
    The truth really bothers you, doesn't it. I think you're the same one that thinks a Colnago frame is worth $4000. I may have you mixed up with someone else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The truth really bothers you, doesn't it. I think you're the same one that thinks a Colnago frame is worth $4000. I may have you mixed up with someone else.
    It's just that you trot out unfounded shite. I work in the bike trade, I'm used to looking for badged up Taiwanese catalogue frames etc. A company like Litespeed is not likely to lay themselves open to being accused of pulling a fast one are they?

After 13 years selling high end road bikes, I think I'd spot a ringer. Tour Pedal Force is a very good value carbon fibre frame. But the Pavia is not the same.

If you're mug enough to shell out $4000 on a mass produced frame fine.

I'd rather pay £1500 on a made to measure frame from a guy I can meet whose name is on the down tube because he built it.

BTW I prefer 80's Colnago's like GS Mengoni rode. Much prettier!

We'll just agree to disagree, OK?

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foggypeake

I was looking at the updated Litespeed webpage and I noticed that all of their aluminum models have vanished. Additionally, all of their frames that were carbon/ti are gone too. For 2006, Litespeed makes only all-titanium models or even an all-carbon model.
    You'll also notice that all the integrated headsets are gone, too. I'm sure there are varied ideas why all these features have changed, which may or may not have anything to do with that glued on carbon stays or integrated headsets have little technical merit. Instead, the now have angular multi-shaped tubes on several bikes. Previous features added for the sake of differentiation from older product have replaced with newer features added for the sake of differentiation from older product.

The carbon model looks a lot like a Scattante/Performance, but a lot of carbon bikes look very similar to me. The funny thing is that their 2005 catalog wrote at length explaining how "inferior" carbon fiber is as a frame material.

Maybe, maybe not. Afterall, Litespeed has stop making frames with glued in seatstays even though they admitted that they cost them less to make and they could sell them for more.

Jan 2003

if they used this plain and true reasoning in their ad copy i would even consider buying a litespeed. their hype and BS techno [email protected] they write every year turns me off. besides, i had an obed that was off their geometry charts (wheelbase) by 1 in. it handled like a truck.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Cipo's long lost cousin

I like it!

Personally I like to see Litespeed go all titanium on most of their product lineup. It is what the company does best and what they are known for... IMHO glued in carbon stays seem like a "me too" approach to the marketplace. It looks like Litespeed is now trying to differentiate themselves from other builders by how they manipulate the tubing. Time will tell if their angular downtubes and shaped tubing makes the bikes lighter or better handling BUT it is different from what anyone else is doing. Additonally, the non-integrated headtubes are also a sell feature to me... Given a choice I'd take a standard head tube any day!
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Litespeed Ti

Had a beautiful pearl white aluminum (Hyperion) Litespeed last year. It was exactly the same geometry as the Ultimate (04/05). I also have an 04 Ultimate. The ride of the Alum Litespeed was horrible and the frame flexy. I sold it before I got wobbled to death. I agree, Litespeed should stick to what they do best....Ti. I love my Ultimate. It can do it all.....all day long with minimal fatigue. Touring, racing, training.. I also have a carbon Fondriest, which is exquisite. Still no equal to the Ultimate. Even though I think the 04 & 05 are better looking than the 06, would love to get my hands on an 06. Just a tiny bite lighter.

What up, dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    Additonally, the non-integrated headtubes are also a sell feature to me... Given a choice I'd take a standard head tube any day!
    +1 I have never been a fan of the integrated headsets/tubes. I have never had a non-integrated headset fail on me, but the integrated one on my Tuscany did. I always felt they didn't seem as "solid". Maybe that just me, but my Teramo seem to have a better feel than my Tuscany, and I think the headset is the difference.

I'm glad to see LS go to all Ti frames. The carbon stays never really made much sense to me. Personally, I think they have a better frame without the carbon. I LOVE the ride of my LS's, and there's not carbon to be found there.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by rickturbo
    ...I agree, Litespeed should stick to what they do best....Ti. I love my Ultimate. It can do it all.....all day long with minimal fatigue. Touring, racing, training... Even though I think the 04 & 05 are better looking than the 06, would love to get my hands on an 06. Just a tiny bite lighter.
    With you all the way. Love my Litespeed, glad to see they're somewhat back to trying to lead rather than follow the market.

But someone really needs a talking to about the '06 decal set. Some of the tube shapes are a bit too far to my eye, too (and I'm convinced that they're a fair bit more about production ease and market differentiation than they are genuine engineering improvement.)
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

What up, dog?
    Yeah, the new decals are FUGLY, especially on the Tuscany & below. I'm glad mine are 2005 models, although I'm not crazy about the yellow decals on my Tuscany - I may have to change those... The 2006 models are nowhere near as classy as the older ones from a pure cosmetic standpoint. My main "likes" of the Litespeed line has always been the relative simplicity and clean lines. Putting decals on every surface you can find is not what LS has been about.

Jun 2006

New Siena owner

I'm an ex-runner and, following a recent knee operation, decided to start getting my kicks with bikes. I'm a total rookie at this but chose to reward myself with a nice ride.
    I tested all the standards - Trek 5x00/5.x; Giant TCR; even a Six13 which, despite the recent negative comments seemed like a lively ride. FWIW, I didn't much like the Trek. I guess I'm too new to appreciate it - or I don't watch enough TdF.
    But my heart took me to a Litespeed Siena. Wonderful all around ride. Gentle on my old and recently repaired bones. Snappy when I stand on it - though not as much as the part Al thing I tried. And with a non-stock saddle, it has that ride-all-day quality that I suspect would not have been present in, for example, the TCR.
    The compact frame thing seems a bit odd at first but I liked the ride better than the Tuscany. Oh and like great motorcycles, airplanes and sailboats, when you step off, walk away and turn back to look, it sure looks pretty.
    I'm embarrased to say that I kept looking for those carbon rear forks. This is the first time I've formally heard that they are gone. Like I said, just a rookie.
    But thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member

I have the Teramo

I have a litespeed compact frame as well. I went to Litespeed from Cannondale and boy is there a difference. At first I found the compact frame to be "weird" but only from an aesthetic perspective. On the road I don't notice the different geometry of the main frame because my seat and bars are in the same place. I agree with you about just looking at the bike. Mine is not the fanciest frame but I think it is pretty. If you want really pretty look at the Moots posts on this site. But be careful not to stare too long. . .
    IA ORA TE NATURA
    E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI

Jun 2006
    Well, I have told myself that I must absolutely remain content with the new Litespeed. As much as I really like it, nice bikes do have some serious eye candy factor. But I bought it to ride, not to admire the art. However, as an extra precaution, I'll take your advice and not stare. At all.
    OBTW, my only gripe with the Siena is the decals. Or rather decal. Seems like the one on the main tube is fraying. Not easily visible but found it while picking it up and feeling the bits coming loose. I don't think I banged/rubbed/dragged it against anything. Sad. Can the loose ends (so to speak) be glued back down?
    And now for a seriously rookie question: Notwithstanding the fact that men over the age of 35 should never be seen in spandex, why do almost all amateur cyclists wear clothes that are essentially walking billboards? What's with that?
    I can hear the flames warming up. Just remember, ROOKIE.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by t32bt32b
    And now for a seriously rookie question: Notwithstanding the fact that men over the age of 35 should never be seen in spandex, why do almost all amateur cyclists wear clothes that are essentially walking billboards? What's with that?
    I can hear the flames warming up. Just remember, ROOKIE.
    Only overweight out of shape men over 35 should not wear spandex. But that also applies to everyone else, both sex's, all ages.

I cannot explain the walking billboard thing but I want a bill board jersey for myself. Up until now, all of my cycling cloths are very plain in design. For whatever reason, I'm now looking at the billboard jersey's. I think it might be one of those things that if you see it enough, that it becomes normal to you. Much like a lot of Harley riders. How many Harley guys wear black all the time both on and off the bike.

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Back to the LS frames- I have one of the Sienas with carbon in the back. I love the bike more than any bike I have ever had in my life, although it was my first road bike, so I didn't think much about getting a all-ti bike. I have more experience with road bikes now and I will buy an all-ti LS next time, but I have to say, compared to everything else I rode at the time (about 10 different bikes) it was (and is) very smooth and fast. Great bikes- they are very popular up here in Seattle...............MTT

RoadBikeReview Member

Decals and billboards

Well, I have told myself that I must absolutely remain content with the new Litespeed.
    They say you should never use a computer that's faster than the one you own. Good advice.

OBTW, my only gripe with the Siena is the decals.
    I'm new to this Litespeed thing myself, although my wife and I are jumping in with both feet. I think the decals always come off and can be replaced. This is because they don't put clearcoat over titanium frames. Some riders take off all the decals and like that better.

. . . why do almost all amateur cyclists wear clothes that are essentially walking billboards? What's with that?
    If you want to wear cycling jerseys, most are pretty dressed up. Some companies make really low-key jerseys, though, and they are usually cheaper. A lot of the online stores like Performance carry plain ones. I think Patagonia and REI have good quality house brands. My favorites are Primal Wear. They are NOT plain, but they don't advertise European biscuits or Japanese hardware.
    IA ORA TE NATURA
    E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI