2008 Felt F4 Purchase Advice
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020

2008 Felt F4 Purchase Advice

Good morning,

I'm fairly new to cycling and want to upgrade by current cheap road bike since I'm training for an upcoming 70.3. I've come across a 2008 Felt F4 for sale for $1000 and it appears to be in great condition; however, I'm a little leary about spending $1000 on a used bike and was hoping I could get some honest opinions regarding the value of this bike. I've included the picture and listing write-up below. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Without having the bike right in front of me it's impossible to say. Value is very hard to place on used bicycles.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Without having the bike right in front of me it's impossible to say. Value is very hard to place on used bicycles.
    Right. And the description doesn't say much.
    "Carbon Wheels" could mean anything from total crap to being worth over $1000 for them alone.

"11 speed" could be about 7 years old (or older if Campy) or could be a day old.

I can tell you that I have a high end (when I bought it) 2009 frame and I put it out there to my cycling group with a price of $0 for frame only. It's worth more than that but you get the point. An 11 year old carbon frame with a million miles on it isn't something I feel right about charging anything for. Who knows when it'll go South and crack or whatever. Maybe never but who knows.

Some bikes are better than others, no question, but the most important thing is fit and a new cyclist buying over the internet sight unseen is high risk in that area.

I'd suggest more time on your current bike until you are really confident in the fit and handling you want and then search based on that. Don't search based on just 'upgrade'. If it's doesn't fit and/or isn't the type of bike that suites you best it will not be an upgrade regardless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like a fairly current Ultegra Shimano groupset - and Chinese generic wheelset. I would figure on having to replace the wheels in your pricing. Personally, I think you can do better than that for pricing, a lot better. That's maybe a $600 bike IMHO plus or minus a bit.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful information!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Looks like a fairly current Ultegra Shimano groupset - and Chinese generic wheelset. I would figure on having to replace the wheels in your pricing. Personally, I think you can do better than that for pricing, a lot better. That's maybe a $600 bike IMHO plus or minus a bit.
    Not sure where you live, but here in Southern California, $900-1K sounds about right. It has some pretty nice upgrades, so eventhough the frame is a 2008, it has a full Ultegra group. Sure you can get the same bike with name brand carbon wheels, but they will most likely be 11 year old carbon wheels- which are worth as much as newer generic wheels. Also, there are some really good china carbon wheels to be had these days. Better than some older Mavics and Zipps. Even the generics oftentimes have better hubs and rims than the older high end stuff. The Ultegra group alone is worth about $600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    Not sure where you live, but here in Southern California, $900-1K sounds about right. It has some pretty nice upgrades, so eventhough the frame is a 2008, it has a full Ultegra group. Sure you can get the same bike with name brand carbon wheels, but they will most likely be 11 year old carbon wheels- which are worth as much as newer generic wheels. Also, there are some really good china carbon wheels to be had these days. Better than some older Mavics and Zipps. Even the generics oftentimes have better hubs and rims than the older high end stuff. The Ultegra group alone is worth about $600.
    Thanks for the info. I'm located in New Orleans. I saw the bike in person yesterday and the bike seemed to be well maintained and cared for. I'm beginning to notice that bike values are even more subjective that used car values with fewer comps to steer the conversation. I appreciate all of the opinions I'm receiving on this forum though. It's all very helpful. I'm just looking for an honest valued bike that should get me through moderate triathlon training for the next 2-3 years. Thanks again for your time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Must be some higher prices there - I can buy a used Ultegra 8000 groupset for $400. Heck, I can get a new groupset from Merlin for $700 on sale. Personally, there is no way I would ride on those wheels, not worth the chance of injury - but that's my thoughts. I'd rather have some low dollar known brand aluminum wheels for a couple hundred bucks.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    In my part of SoCal (Temecula) used bikes go cheap. This bike would be worth about $700. In the Pacific NW where I moved from it would be worth about $1100

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gtyrney View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful information!
    If you already have wheels and a groupset or if you have a groupset and can afford to spend about $550 for a really nice frameset and some solid wheels, I would take an extremely close look at the Museeuw MFC 3.0 frameset that Planet Cyclery has on blowout sale for $329-$350. I bought one and had a buddy help me build it. I have loved riding this thing so far. You can get a quality set of wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles for $189-$500 depending on what you want. Their house brand wheels (Prime) are really solid and great values. Carbon wheels are closer to $500, but you can get pretty light durable aluminum wheels for $189. Some of those wheels come with tubes and Hutchinson tires included btw.

Throw some stuff over from the bike you already have and/or pick up pieces from eBay, etc. and bam- you have a nice new carbon bike that rides great for less than $1000. Nothing wrong with Felt either. I had an F series I really liked back in 2011, but I wouldn’t ever trade my Museeuw for it.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:56 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    In my part of SoCal (Temecula) used bikes go cheap. This bike would be worth about $700. In the Pacific NW where I moved from it would be worth about $1100
    I think part of the problem where you're at is that while there are roadies out there, and you guys have the Tour of Murrieta, it's a roadie city in the middle of MTB territory. It's hard to get buyers to drive that far from OC, LA and SD counties- which is a shame because Temecula is beautiful. My parents live in Canyon Lake and go to Temecula regularly.