2011 Synapse 5C BB30 vs. Synapse 6C BB30 adapter
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

2011 Synapse 5C BB30 vs. Synapse 6C BB30 adapter

Local bike shop tells me to consider the 2011 Synapse 5c 105 bike because it has a true BB30 which leads to better power transfer. Whereas the Synapse 6c Apex bike has a BB30 adapter, which he says is not as stiff and cannot be removed.

Does any of this make a difference?

Since the Synapse 6c crank seems kind of cheapish (and probably heavy), this seems like a candidate for a future upgrade.

But if BB30 is far better, I'd just spend the extra $300.

105 vs. Apex is kind of moot for me. I kind of like the Apex double-tap feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I would check with another Cannondale shop, as I was under the impression that the adapters could be removed. Pop out the adapter and pop in a BB30 crank.

What crank is the 5c using? It's likely not a Shimano crank since they don't make them in a BB30 size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by intence
    I would check with another Cannondale shop, as I was under the impression that the adapters could be removed. Pop out the adapter and pop in a BB30 crank.

What crank is the 5c using? It's likely not a Shimano crank since they don't make them in a BB30 size.
    5c has the FSA Gossamar Pro. 6c has some cheapish SRam S150 crank.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem1977
    Local bike shop tells me to consider the 2011 Synapse 5c 105 bike because it has a true BB30 which leads to better power transfer. Whereas the Synapse 6c Apex bike has a BB30 adapter, which he says is not as stiff and cannot be removed.
    I may be wrong, but pretty certain that the Synapse 5c/6c are the same frame with different paint. As for the BB30 adapter sleeve, if it was installed using Loctite 609 as recommended in Cannodales tech doc, then unless you have access to a hydraulic press to push it out of the bottom bracket shell, then I think it probably best to consider it permanent!
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Get the Apex bike, and spend the $300 on other upgrades (maybe new wheels?)