2012 Jamix Xenith Elite or 2013 Cannondale SuperSix EVO?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

So my bike was stolen on the last nice day of the year. Insurance check came and I can get a 2012 Jamis Xenith Elite with SRAM Red for $3500 or a Cannondale SuperSix EVO SRAM Red for $3300. I can't test ride either since we have 5 inches of snow now, and it keeps snowing. I could wait, but both seem like really great deals. Not sure come spring if I can get the same quality of bike for the money. Both shops will fit me up properly. Looking for advice on which bike is preferable? Like if anyone has ridden either or maybe both and can offer up some ideas/opinions. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I can only give an opinion of what I have been on.

The Cdale SS Evo is really really nice.

Since you can't ride, maybe put both bikes on a set of rollers in the shop and see which "feels" better. If you are not used to rollers, that might be a bad idea. In that case, a std trainer could work.

I think you'll do well with both bikes though
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

CX'er
    I have the Xenith Team, at least the frameset, and it's a good bike. I'm not super impressed with it but can't find any real faults with it, I just don't get the same love from the bike I did with the one it replaced.

I won the frame in a raffle at a race. Geo's were the same as my current frame and the carbon quality seemed the same on paper and since my had been raced for a few years I figured "sweet, free new bike." Now I'm thinking I should have just sold the frame. My old bike was a 2010 norco CRR SL. I transferred all of the components over save the seat post since the norco had an integrated seat post. I think the road input was a little better with the norco, the jamis just feels a little "dead".

I haven't had the jamis long, started using it late July or early August and started racing CX in September so it started sitting more as I logged time in on the CX and mountain bikes.

I have a lot of mixed feelings on the jamis. I'm trying to see if I can get a new norco tactic frame and sell the jamis for the cost of the new frame; my sponsoring LBS is a norco dealer so hoping for a deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the 2013 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2 Red and I love it. It is very light and I feel that the power I put into the pedals all goes straight to the road. The SRAM Red works flawlessly and it took no time at all to adjust to the "double-tap" shifting (I was riding 105 previously). The Red brakes are the best I've ever experienced. The ride is comfortable over longer distances (I've done two metric centuries on it so far). The Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S wheels spin up nicely and I'm happy with them. I was not too impressed with the Mavic Yksion Pro tires and switched them to Michelin Pro 4 Service Course....but tires are a minor fix to any bike. All in all, I would recommend the SuperSix Evo 2 Red to anyone.

I have no experience with the Jamis...sorry. But, you can't go wrong with the Evo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    So I went with the Cannondale. When I called the store to see if the bike was still there the clerk said, "Yeah, you mean the $3000 one, right"?. And I said I was looking at the $3300 dollar one. He said he lowered the price this morning to $3000! So of course I went and got it. It was one of the last Cannondales in the store. They were trying to clear them out since they were focusing on selling just Specialized and Tri specific gear. Then, we were talking about how I needed to hit a certain price because insurance will give back some depreciation money to me. So he "bought back" the Mavic's and sold me some Reynolds Attacks, just so I could hit that magic insurance number. Never had carbon wheels before, so not sure what to expect. But all of it, with tax and fit for $3900. I think I did darn good.

Thank you everyone for all for your advice! I planned on making this decision over the next few weeks, but with that price change, I had to pull the trigger. Just wish I could ride it during the next few months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
    So I went with the Cannondale. When I called the store to see if the bike was still there the clerk said, "Yeah, you mean the $3000 one, right"?. And I said I was looking at the $3300 dollar one. He said he lowered the price this morning to $3000! So of course I went and got it. It was one of the last Cannondales in the store. They were trying to clear them out since they were focusing on selling just Specialized and Tri specific gear. Then, we were talking about how I needed to hit a certain price because insurance will give back some depreciation money to me. So he "bought back" the Mavic's and sold me some Reynolds Attacks, just so I could hit that magic insurance number. Never had carbon wheels before, so not sure what to expect. But all of it, with tax and fit for $3900. I think I did darn good.

Thank you everyone for all for your advice! I planned on making this decision over the next few weeks, but with that price change, I had to pull the trigger. Just wish I could ride it during the next few months.

Congrats. Sounds like a great deal to me. I'm sure you'll love the EVO.

Post some pics if you can.

RoadBikeReview Member

Damn if I scored that I'd drive for a day to where the snow has melted and try it out. Couldn't wait too spring.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    Damn if I scored that I'd drive for a day to where the snow has melted and try it out. Couldn't wait too spring.
    Hell to the YES on that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post

Let me help with a little rephrasing here that is closer to the truth.

Specialized forced the shop to stop selling Cannondale or Spec would pull their bikes because some silly thing like floor space for Specialized.

Nevermind, Cannondale has one of the best Tri bikes out there.....

In any event, you got a great deal. Ride hard, and ride a lot.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.