2013 Venge Comp vs 2012 Foil R2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

2013 Venge Comp vs 2012 Foil R2

Looking at getting a new bike. Rode a 2013 Venge Comp the other day that is on sale for around $2k. Also talked to another store with a 2012 Scott Foil R2 that is more expensive at $3k, but it has ultegra and (supposedly nicer wheels).

Any thoughts on whether one can notice a significant difference between the 10r frame of the Venge Comp compared to 11r of an S-works? Same question with regard to the ride of the HMF of the Foil R2 vs Scott's higher-grade carbon.

Give me some wise counsel regarding the above or any similar bikes around that range. Are these even close comparisons? The Foil seems a little expensive, but there are no other Scott dealers nearby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesaredangerousmmk View Post
    Looking at getting a new bike. Rode a 2013 Venge Comp the other day that is on sale for around $2k. Also talked to another store with a 2012 Scott Foil R2 that is more expensive at $3k, but it has ultegra and (supposedly nicer wheels).

Any thoughts on whether one can notice a significant difference between the 10r frame of the Venge Comp compared to 11r of an S-works? Same question with regard to the ride of the HMF of the Foil R2 vs Scott's higher-grade carbon.

Give me some wise counsel regarding the above or any similar bikes around that range. Are these even close comparisons? The Foil seems a little expensive, but there are no other Scott dealers nearby.
    They are both fine sprinter type bikes. The Foil might be a little lighter. Specialized 10r is good stuff and most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between either of the grades of carbon you mention and the manufacturer's higher end stuff. This one is close and only a test ride will likely help you decide which one you prefer more. In the end, that's all that matters anyway. There are lots of bikes in the "aero road" sprinter category these days. In this price range, you could also take a look at the new Cervelo S2, the new Felt AR5 or AR4, the 2014 Boardman Air 9.0, the new 2014 Giant Propel Advanced, and the 2014 BMC TMR02. Of those, I like the Felt, but it's all about what you like, so get out and test ride a few. If you can't test ride all of your options (which is a real loss), then talk to folks in here that own each bike via the manufacturer threads/forums and read as many online reviews as you can I guess. Here's an old list (so it won't have many of the new 2014s, many of which are more affordable versions of these):

12 of the fastest aero road bikes | road.cc
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I have a 10r carbon venge. I like it.

Just know what you want and what the bike will do - know what are getting into. The Venge is closer to a "racing" frame than not. It is vertically rigid with a stiff BB. You feel your pedaling instantly transformed into forward speed. When I first got it on rough roads, I felt like it was going to buck me off. That said, I have no regrets about choosing the venge.

I don't know how the scott rides - b/c their local availability is poor/nonexistent.

As far as the price, for 2K you can buy the venge and upgrade it to 11 speed ultergra for less than $1000. That gets you the same frame/fork and components (different wheels) as the 2014 venge with ultegra ($4K bike).