2014 BMC SLR01 or 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Tarmac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

2014 BMC SLR01 or 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Tarmac

Hello everyone. I am after buying a new bike and have narrowed it down to the 2014 models of the BMC SLR01 and Specialized SL4 S-Works Tarmac.

I want something stiff, light and confortable as I do a lot of climbing and a lot of k's through the week as well as race crits/road races depending on the season.

Just wanted some opinions and if anyone has by any chance ridden both these bikes that would awesome for there thoughts.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Well, I be the first to ask the obvious question; have you ridden both bikes (and preferably with the same wheels)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I have tested the S-Works with the Rovals and zip 303 and I could only test the 2012 SLR01 and 2013 SLR01 (had sloppy easton wheels) as most shops just got the 2014 in store so won't have a demo bike. It would be hard to set up a test ride with the same wheels. I know wheels make a lot of difference when it comes to stiffness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    If they're close in ride, get the Spec due to the warranty. I think BMC is 3 years frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I don't think there will be a significant difference in the rides of the 2013 SLR01 and 2014 SLR01 (despite the usual manufacturer claims of lighter, stiffer and more comfortable).

Which did you prefer?

BTW, my local LBS had a BMC Demo Days event this past weekend, so BMC is already holding events where folks can test ride the 2014 models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    that's a tough question, man...lusted after a new s works for a long time. bmc makes some of the best bikes in the world. when in doubt,

buy the red bike..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    I don't think there will be a significant difference in the rides of the 2013 SLR01 and 2014 SLR01 (despite the usual manufacturer claims of lighter, stiffer and more comfortable).

Which did you prefer?

BTW, my local LBS had a BMC Demo Days event this past weekend, so BMC is already holding events where folks can test ride the 2014 models.
    I have heard from everyone that his ridden the new SLR01 that it is a completely different bike than prior years and that the new SLR02 rides like the old SLR01. I would definitely say try to hold off until you ride the new SLR01. It is supposed to be amazing.

BMC Team Machine SLR01 review | road.cc

BMC TeamMachine SLR01 road bike first ride | Road Cycling UK
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I have heard from everyone that his ridden the new SLR01 that it is a completely different bike than prior years and that the new SLR02 rides like the old SLR01. I would definitely say try to hold off until you ride the new SLR01. It is supposed to be amazing.

BMC Team Machine SLR01 review | road.cc

BMC TeamMachine SLR01 road bike first ride | Road Cycling UK
    I had to laugh at the first review. As I suspected...lighter, stiffer, and more comfortable. Who'd-a-thunk-it!?

I can't argue with holding off to ride the new model, though. It's a lot of cash to lay out, and one might as well be certain of the decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    I had to laugh at the first review. As I suspected...lighter, stiffer, and more comfortable. Who'd-a-thunk-it!?

I can't argue with holding off to ride the new model, though. It's a lot of cash to lay out, and one might as well be certain of the decision.
    FWIW, the new SLR01 has been confirmed to be in the sub 800 gram range for the frame. That's about a 150-200 gram loss (1/4 lb-1/2 lb or so) which is significant to a lot of riders. Given that I am really happy with anything that is around 16 lbs or less and more focused on overall ride quality, this wouldn't be a feature I would pay a premium for, but some might. There is probably a white paper out there that can confirm or debunk the advertising to some degree if one really wants to find it. I say the test ride will likely be the moment of truth, so get out and ride. The new computer modeling software they used to design it certainly sounds cool though.

Review 2014 BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Road Bike - YouTube

BMC Teammachine the new SLR01 2014 - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the replys. Ive tried to do as much research on the net as I can but you never know whos being payed to write good reviews!

I need to make a decision by this week. I know what group set I'm going with and will probably putting some fulcrum zero's on the SLR01 instead on the C24's. But if I get the Tarmac ill keep the Rovals on. Just got to make the decision on the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Buy both ;).

Is it the same shop that has both bikes? If not, the service level of the shop could be a small factor also. Riding them both would be your best bet, but I have purchased a bike without test riding it and I don't regret that buy. I think when it comes to top end frames, if the geo is similar you would be happy with either once you get some miles on it and get used to the ride.
    Alpine Apparel Co.
    http://alpine.cc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    The two frames seem to be good at what I want, being light and stiff. The SLR01 seems to be lighter than the SL4 frame. But just not sure which one is stiffer? Having totally different wheels on from when I tested the bikes didn't help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ride232 View Post
    The two frames seem to be good at what I want, being light and stiff. The SLR01 seems to be lighter than the SL4 frame. But just not sure which one is stiffer? Having totally different wheels on from when I tested the bikes didn't help.
    They are probably pretty close in stiffness and, if you couldn't tell the difference, you may want to ask yourself how much it really matters. They are also likely close enough in weight that that won't matter much either once you add on a saddle bag, pedals and a couple of water bottles, etc. This one will likely be so close that it has to come down to the smaller subjective points. Which one excites you more, felt a little more comfortable, felt faster, was easier to climb or descend on, looks better to you, comes with a better warranty and crash replacement program (Specialized here), cost less, etc. There is no wrong or bad decision with these two bikes, just choose the one that makes you happier.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    The proprietary seatpost on the BMC would be a deal breaker for me. I need a a zero offset post and they don't offer one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    ride232,

I thought you might be interested in seeing this. THe new SLR01 was one of their favorites this year:

The road.cc Bike of the Year 2013-14 | road.cc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ride232 View Post
    I want something stiff, light and confortable as I do a lot of climbing and a lot of k's through the week as well as race crits/road races depending on the season.
    These are obviously both top end bikes with incredible stiffness and low weight. However, they are also both uncompromising race frames with short head tubes, very short chainstays and fairly non-compliant rides. This may be exactly what you want, but if you're not going to race it all that often, it might make sense to consider something even more comfortable like a Roubaix.

The stiffness difference between these two frames is likely meaningless and 150g of frame weight is entirely irrelevant marketing hype. I would make the decision based on the ride, practical aspects (seatpost and binding mechanism, BB design, cable routing etc) and looks.