2015 Felt ar2 or Specialized Tarmac Pro Race
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

Hi Everyone. I have a dilemma.

I have a chance to but either the 2015 felt Ar2 or the Specialized Tarmac Pro Race. But i am having trouble deciding. I love to look of the felt, the fact that it's not a specialized (in my area there are a ton of them), and the electric shifting. But I am nervous about the performance on rough road and the extra 1 lbs. But I figure I can bridge the weight gap with a great set of wheels. The specialized seems great and comes with carbon wheels and is about 1k cheaper.

So....any opinions on the felt ar2 as a all around bike? I also ride alone a lot so I figured 20 exta watts at 20mph would be great.

I am going to demo next week if i can find one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GRC5 View Post
    Hi Everyone. I have a dilemma.

I have a chance to but either the 2015 felt Ar2 or the Specialized Tarmac Pro Race. But i am having trouble deciding. I love to look of the felt, the fact that it's not a specialized (in my area there are a ton of them), and the electric shifting. But I am nervous about the performance on rough road and the extra 1 lbs. But I figure I can bridge the weight gap with a great set of wheels. The specialized seems great and comes with carbon wheels and is about 1k cheaper.

So....any opinions on the felt ar2 as a all around bike? I also ride alone a lot so I figured 20 exta watts at 20mph would be great.

I am going to demo next week if i can find one.
    I haven't tried the AR2, but I have tested a number of aero road bikes (including the Cervelo S5, S3, S2, Giant Propel, Litespeed C1, etc.) and I recently tested the 2014 Specialized Tarmac SL4 on three different occasions. At the end of the day, it has to come down to the test ride and what you prefere after that, but FWIW, I personally prefer the ride quality and weight of the Tarmac. It's a special bike and there is a reason it is so popular and why so many people rave about it. Right after I tested the Tarmac, I rode the Propel and Giant TCR Advanced back to back (same course). It confirmed for me that I like riding all-around race bikes more than I do aero road bikes (even really good ones). I always like the looks of the aero road bikes more, but when I get out on the road, I feel the difference in weight (aero road bikes always seem to feel significantly heavier than they are listed at for some reason) and that the ride quality isn't as smooth. The all-arounder pretty much always wins out for me.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GRC5 View Post
    It's not 20 watts at 20mph, probably more like 10 watts. I would say test ride them both and go with the AR2 if you don't have a strong preference for the Tarmac. I own a new Cervelo S2 and a Roubaix SL4 Expert and the Roubaix has now been relegated to backup bike duties. I've ridden a new Tarmac too, nice bike but I like to go fast so I lean more towards aero frames if you don't mind the ride quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    if the Felt fits, then go for it. Specialized dime a dozen. Go for something different, it's part of the cycling experience too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have to agree with Rashadabd up a race bike over an aero road. I have ridden the AR and it is a really nice bike, but Felt's own F-Seres race bikes just feels so much better. I really can't feel the weight difference, but the ride is much nicer, and quick as heck. Not one for Specialized. the bikes are aesthetically pleasing, but as others have mentioned, a dime a dozen. Trek was huge years ago because Lance's team rode them. Speciaized is the new Trek. More teams ride them because Specialized is willing to spend more money on a team than many others. Most roadies that are riding them are riding them because they are so popular among the Pro Tour teams. Nevermind those teams ride them because they are paid to ride them. I lreally liked my S Works but I love my Felts. Still, it depends on which one fits you best and fulfills your requirements. If it's the Spesh,go for it; the Felt but that one. We can only give you advice based on our experiences. Yours might be different. Just know that you're looking at two exceptional bikes regardless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Agree. Why not look at an F2? Based on my research, Felt offers some of the best value out there at all price points. And they use some really top-end technology in manufacturing their frames.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude