Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2015 Specialized Roubaix Pro race or 2018 Roubaix Comp

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jaggrin 
#1 ·
In the market for an endurance bike. Local shop has a 2015 Specialized SL4 Pro Race, new $5500, selling for $2500. Or a 2018 Roubaix with the future shock. 2018 price is $2100. Not sure if i would be making a mistake buying a 2015 Roubaix with Zerts or would I be better off going with a 2018 with new technology. I am open to suggestions and other bike brands as well. I have looked at the Domane and the Giant Defy. So many bikes out there and so many options. The Specialized Diverge has crossed my mind as well. I keep going back to the 2015 Roubaix. Its such a good deal. What do you think?

#2 ·
You may notice that newer models support wider tires. This is especially true of the Roubaix and Domane, less so for the Defy and whatever Cannondale’s entry is. The comfort and versatility of wider tires were important for me and were more apparent in their effectiveness than Futureshock and Isospeed, which were both pretty effective in their own ways.

Also, at the risk of igniting and end-of-days argument, you don’t mention disc v rim brakes. I live in hilly and wet Oregon where disc brakes are a desirable choice. YMMV.

#3 ·
I have disc brakes on my crux elite and love it. I live in the Northeast and do a fair bit of winter cycling so disc brakes are a benefit but usually my crux is my winter bike. Maybe the Diverge with wider tires may be the ticket. Do you know how big i can go on a Roubaix as far as tire size?

#4 ·
I have disc brakes on my crux elite and love it. I live in the Northeast and do a fair bit of winter cycling so disc brakes are a benefit but usually my crux is my winter bike. Maybe the Diverge with wider tires may be the ticket. Do you know how big i can go on a Roubaix as far as tire size?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.