3D printed bike

Thread: 3D printed bike

RoadBikeReview Member

3D printed bike

I was wondering how long it would take someone to do it. Empire Cycles x Renishaw ? World?s First 3d Printed Complete Bicycle Frame
    We have a 3D printer at work and I find the technology really interesting. It would be really cool to be able to walk in to a shop pick out the bike you want and have it printed with out them having to have lots of bikes on hand. Think of all the money that could be saved with it. The only problem I have is everything in cycling just gets more expensive not cheaper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take someone to do it. Empire Cycles x Renishaw ? World?s First 3d Printed Complete Bicycle Frame
    We have a 3D printer at work and I find the technology really interesting. It would be really cool to be able to walk in to a shop pick out the bike you want and have it printed with out them having to have lots of bikes on hand. Think of all the money that could be saved with it. The only problem I have is everything in cycling just gets more expensive not cheaper.
    That's pretty interesting. I am facinated with the 3d printing technology as well. People even make guns with a 3d printer now. In a few decades we will just walk into a shop, choose what we need from a screen and print it!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Wonder if I can print a Pinarello?

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Wonder if I can print a Pinarello?
    Wouldn't that be Printarello?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I suspect it's going to take a lot longer for things we want to be high-performance and that can benefit from composite materials with a fiber matrix.

But I think 3D weaving is going to make carbon fiber frames a lot cheaper within the next five or ten years.

3D printing seems like it could be great for stuff like derailleur hangers, and obscure metal parts, as the technology gets better at metals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    With current 3D printing technology you could not make a performance frame. If it was durable/stiff enough it would be very heavy and not responsive. Sintered metal is not nearly as strong as extruded/rolled metal, and composites require the long fibers and weaves that cannot be created with a 3D printer. So far this is purely a novelty item and it is a LONG way from being practical for a real-world bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Among the materials available for 3D printing are various metals including stainless and titaniums. However, metal printing is quite expensive as powderizing a metal is an expensive process. Several years ago, at Euromold in Frankfurt, Germany, I saw a presentation that showed a microscope view of the difference between a 3D printed titanium part and one that was welded. The 3D printed part had no stress fractures, and was said to be at least as strong as the welded sample.

That said, besides the cost, I'm not aware of a 3D printer capable of printing a full size frame out of a metal. Once that's possible, you could conceivably enter your measurements online, and select a frame to be built, then go to the store the next day and pick it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    It's still a deliberate process requiring safety equipment and laboratory like conditions, but it is very efficient and easy to feed (with paint cans full of titanium dust). I wonder how it'll effect carbon fiber's attractiveness if titanium becomes much more affordable.

Printing titanium bicycle parts - Charge Bikes & EADS - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadsorTailswind View Post
    It's still a deliberate process requiring safety equipment and laboratory like conditions, but it is very efficient and easy to feed (with paint cans full of titanium dust). I wonder how it'll effect carbon fiber's attractiveness if titanium becomes much more affordable.

Printing titanium bicycle parts - Charge Bikes & EADS - YouTube
    It will be interesting to see. Because they can print carbon fiber now too.
    Mark One: The World's First Carbon Fiber 3D Printer

Rub it............
    Charge Bicycles is already using 3D printing for dropouts.

Video: Charge 3D printed titanium dropouts being made | road.cc
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.