Advice: new frame vs. new bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Advice: new frame vs. new bike

My current aluminum road bike (GT Series 2, 10 speed) has developed a bunch of hairline cracks and is now permanently on trainer duty.

I'm trying to figure out the pros/cons of buying a frame set and moving stuff over vs getting a completely new bike. The sticking point is that I got new (rim brake) wheels, a PM a couple of years ago and started out this season with new chain rings and cassette. I've also got a bunch of unused chains, pads, etc. since I was expecting to ride this thing for a few more years at least. I suppose those things are saleable.

Everything I'm seeing online is disc brake, 11 speed, etc. I plan on visiting a few shops tomorrow to see if they have anything older in my size but with everything sold out except at the super high end it's not looking good.

Thoughts? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    There seems to be a thriving market for used bike parts on ebay. I'd definitely be thinking of parting out the old bike and the unused parts and buying new. But yeah, that may change if the selection of new bikes is severely limited.

Banned Sock Puppet
    If you can wait two months, the 2021 models will arrive some time in October. Then again, in the age of COVID 19, production will be slower.

Not sure what you are looking for in a replacement, but there are still road bikes made with rim brakes.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would buy a frame and move parts over myself unless you feel that a disc brake/11 speed bike is more your liking. Really depends on you budget and what's available in your area though. You can probably buy a decent frame for a less than $300 if you can find one locally, maybe a tad more due to shipping from Ebay. The only thing you might run into that will take a bit of research is bottom bracket compatibility with your crank, but there are many adapters available to make most cranks fit into most frames.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Up to you really but don't forget to factor in rear wheels.

Personally when in that situation I went with new frame only and the biggest factor was having 3 really good/expensive rear hubs that I didn't want to make obsolete or pay to replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Hi, thanks for replying, but what do you mean when you say "factor in rear wheels?" Do you mean the cost difference between front and rear? The very reason for wanting rim brake bike is precisely because the wheels have DA hubs, spin great on the hills I ride and and I'm not wanting to swap them out for whatever set comes on the bikes I'm budgeting for (probably ~$1500+/-200).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You can't bring a 10 speed rear wheel/hub over to an 11 speed bike. The 11 speed cassette will no fit properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You can't bring a 10 speed rear wheel/hub over to an 11 speed bike. The 11 speed cassette will no fit properly.
    Ah, I gotcha. It's a 9/10/11 freehub so there should be no problem there. Thanks.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow Disease View Post
    Ah, I gotcha. It's a 9/10/11 freehub so there should be no problem there. Thanks.
    Campy? What group is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you like the wheels, I would get a new frame. New bikes are mostly disks, so finding a rim brake in a distressed market is going to be difficult.
    You could just get a nice ebay whole bike or frame that you can put all your favorite parts on.
    BANNED

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    If you like the wheels, I would get a new frame. New bikes are mostly disks, so finding a rim brake in a distressed market is going to be difficult.
    Bianchi, Wilier, Pinarello, Colnago . . Yea, hard to get rim bikes. Lol. Rim brake bike at they high end market in particular, arenít going away. Lot of folks find dork discs laughable on a road bike.