Airborne Valkyrie vs Seven Odonata
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Airborne Valkyrie vs Seven Odonata

Hi
    i have the opportunity to get a used Seven Odonata with full 10 spd campy at $2800, or new Airbone Valkyrie with 10 sp Ultegra for $1800.

What do you guys think is the best. I know there is a lot of talk around paying more dough just to get a Seven sticker. Of course there is a huge price difference, i just want to get something that i will keep for years. A lot of people are talking highly of Airborne.... I personally don't like the brushed look of Ti from airborne and their large stickers.

Please help.

thanks

eric
    Last edited by eduvauchelle; 05-19-2005 at 09:48 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think this is the best first post ever.

RoadBikeReview Member

This should be interesting...

If you were talking about new bikes, I would say it's apples and oranges. The Airborne would be the bargain basement, and the Seven would be custom. In that case, if the money were not an issue, I'd go with the Seven. Nothing like a frame that's made for you.

But that's not you're situation.

Assuming the Seven has geometry that will suit you (among other not visible issues), it's going to come down to your own preference. Do you like Campy or Shimano? Most people like one better than the other. How old are the Campy parts on the Seven? What kind of person is the Seven's seller? By that I mean; do they keep their bikes clean and well serviced, or do they let their bikes go down the drain? Has the Seven been raced regularly? Has the Seven been wrecked? Most importantly, can you test ride the bike?

Good luck,
    Bob

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    The seven is a 60cm which is what i need. I cannot test ride it, nor can i test the valkyrie in my size. Basically trusting the seller of the seven to be honest with me, he said he would switch the groupo to 9spd dura ace if i wanted shimano instead.

I guess my major question is whether or not there is a huge difference in the frame feel from both manufacturers.

Feb 2005

Huh?

This is like asking if one should buy a used Porsche 911 or a new Mazda Miata. What do you want, new car smell or performance? As long as the Seven wasn't abused, it fits you, and you can afford the extra dough, I don't think there's any question.
    ---- Perfection is our goal, but excellence is tolerated. ----

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    The thing is that i can't try the seven....

Ti me up
    Very different bikes. Without the custom fit, a Seven is just another very nice high-end Ti bike. Great ride, but lots of great rides in high-end Ti. A comparable Airborne provides as good or better ride cheaper. I've owned two Airbornes and test-rode them vs. comparable Seven models in the Signature Size series. Liked the Airbornes better.

However, these are not comparable bikes. The Odonata is a Ti/Carbon mix. The Valkyrie is straight-guage 3/2.5 Ti. Frame will be about 3/4 lb heavier and will have different ride characteristics than the Odonata. Airborne's comparable model to Odonata is the Manhattan Project. Never ridden either that or an Odonata, so no personal experence. Seven's comparable model to the Valkyrie is the Alaris.

Plusses of the Airborne are price, great quality bike, it'll be a good ride, and comes with a lifetime frame warranty. Minuses are that it's somewhat heavier, though still relatively light. Be aware that Airbornes run long in the TT, so select sizing accordingly. Buying new, you can choose stem length for best fit.

Plusses of the Seven are that it's a lighter frame. Beyond that, it's hard to know. Is it from the Signature Size series, in which case it'll a pretty standard geometry? Or was it originally done as a custom bike? If so, what's its geometry and what ride characteristics were they trying to achieve? I've not ridden an Odonata, but the one Ti/Cf bike I did ride (Merlin Cielo) was a fantastic ride. If I were going to trade in my Torch or Zeppelin, that'd be on a very short list of bikes I might trade for.

That said though, I'd be wary of the Seven based on sizing concerns and price. The market for high-end Ti bikes is limited to those with the interest, money and understanding to appreciate them. Most bike shops carry only Cf and Al bikes, so people have to go out of their way to learn whether they like Ti or not. That leads to a less-than-robust market on eBay for high-end Ti bikes. I've seen a lot of very nice Ti bikes go in the $2K range with a Record, Chorus or Dura Ace group.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

thanks

I think that from all the good reviews i got from different sources on Airborne, i am going with them, and they seem accomodating after talking to them on the finish of the frame. When i will be ready for a custom bike and i have more money, i will definitely look at Moots and Seven, until then, Airborne will do.

Thanks for the help.

eric