• 07-04-2006
    Fibroma
    Any ideas on the 2007 TREK lineup??
    I'm on the verge of buying a Trek 5200, but I've been told the 2007's are soon to be released. Does anyone have any ideas based on Trek history, current economy or sheer insider info what will happen to pricing and specs? My LBS owner says they almost always improve the componentry each year, and pricing may hold steady.
    Should I wait??
  • 07-04-2006
    Einstruzende
    You could wait so you could get the 2006 model discounted because it isn't the "newest" thing out there. Any improvement made will almost certainly not be noticeable to any average rider.

Also, just say "No" to Trek. I swear like 50% of the cyclists I see are riding Treks. Very generic...
  • 07-04-2006
    whateveronfire
    I heard from a big Trek dealer in the Bay Area that the 06 5200s are almost gone. If you found one and like it, go ahead.

As for "everybody" having Treks, eh. I know a lot of folks like having a different bike. Doesn't matter to me. It should only matter to you if it matters to you. If you like the Trek, get the Trek.
  • 07-04-2006
    dougrocky123
    Trek Factory
    I just did the Trek factory tour in Waterloo and didn't see anything I hadn't seen before. I was looking for the new Lemond carbon and didn't see that either. The guide said that he hasn't seen many either. I told him I had been to the Trek store in Madison and was surprised at the lack of high end road bikes. He says that they were having trouble keeping up with demand and also that it was model year switchover time. I saw hundreds of carbon frames but they didn't pass out any free samples!
  • 07-04-2006
    Fibroma
    In response to Eistruzende: In my small town north of Toronto, ON Canada, there are not too many Treks around so I don't have to worry about being 'vanilla'.! Also, I was under the impression (from the LBS) that the TREK OCLV carbon frame is pretty respectable and they have a good history of making decent carbon frames. I'm a little more leery of some of the smaller companies as they get their frames from offshore, and you don't seem to get the same level of frame warranty or components for the money. TREK buying power ??
  • 07-04-2006
    shoerhino
    I can only find a Trek 5000 and a Madone 5.0 for 2007. The 2007 bikes aren't listed officially yet (hence no prices) but some of the models are published. The fact that the 5200 can't be found doesn't necessarily mean it won't be out.

http://www3.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/road/5000.html
    http://www3.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/road/madone50.html
  • 07-05-2006
    fredf
    Don't know about what is coming out, however around here 5200s can get scarce so buy it if you like it. I have heard some like the Madone a little better and if you do and can afford it, that's a nice bike too.

Or you can listen to stupid advice and get a bike you don't like as much just so you can be different.
    Geesh, they'll let anyone ride a bike these days!
  • 07-05-2006
    Einstruzende
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fredf
    Don't know about what is coming out, however around here 5200s can get scarce so buy it if you like it. I have heard some like the Madone a little better and if you do and can afford it, that's a nice bike too.

Or you can listen to stupid advice and get a bike you don't like as much just so you can be different.
    Geesh, they'll let anyone ride a bike these days!

I'll bet you own a Trek, and you feel as if i've personally slighted you over your choice (or lack thereof).

Treks are fine bikes. However, I seriously doubt you could tell the difference between a Trek and Company X's carbon fiber wonder bike. If there were a safe way to do a double blind test of course.

Therefore it comes down to looks (as prices are pretty similar no matter what brand you get), and around here and everywhere i've been, everyone has Treks. They look generic to me.

I'll wager everyone that spends a good chunk of change on a bike is proud of it. I know I put a lot of time, energy, and money to make sure i'm pound of my bike as well.
  • 07-05-2006
    shoerhino
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    Therefore it comes down to looks (as prices are pretty similar no matter what brand you get), and around here and everywhere i've been, everyone has Treks. They look generic to me.

I think that the fit of the bicycle and warranty are factors to consider when purchasing the bike in addition to the material used in the bike. Certainly though, how a bike looks does play a part in the decision and some people do find Treks to be generic looking and to some people, having a unique looking bike is very important.

The bottom line is if you are looking to spend a large amount of money on a bicycle, you owe it to yourself to look around and comparison shop before making a decision but I think that any brand which is carried by a local bike shop (should be local in case you need service) should be part of the group you look at. There's a reason why you see so many Trek's- they make good bicycles, have lots of dealers, and back them up with outstanding warranty service but there are other companies which make great bikes as well. I would say that you should ride any bikes available and buy the one that fits you best, regardless if it's a bike that lots of other people ride.