Anyone familiar with Cinneli frames?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Anyone familiar with Cinneli frames?

I've always been intrigued by the frames, but I'm not even sure they make them in-house. Can anyone comment on ride quality, etc? Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Smile Best bike I ever rode

I had a Starlight frame. It is the best bike I ever had. Well worth the it and it won't beat you to death. Very forgiving and stiff at the same time. I had an issue with the brazon pulling out of the downtube (someone hooked a bungie cord to with out my knowledge on a trip). Cinelli gave me a new frame two months later. I was forced to sell it before getting built up. Nothing some close in my opinion.

Yes they do frame costruction in house. They build one frame style at a time. I got luck when I contacted them. They were getting ready to re-tool for another frame. If you get one, have it clearcoated by someone local, Cinelli doesn't put one on.

Hope this helps,
    Cricket

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!

Cinelli Proxima here...

I'd say it's a good bike, but not the greatest. I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years, and it's one of the better ones--certainly the best aluminum one. I prefer steel, as it turns out, so take that into account in my review.

It's a stiff frame. Very responsive, but a little harsh to me. Not a jackhammer, but not as smooth a ride as I like for long rides. I like the fork quite a lot, though--it's much better (less floppy-feeling, more road feel) than some other carbon forks I've had. Handling is good. It's light, but seems strong. I'm a heavy guy and it hasn't given me any trouble. The thin walls of the tubing make the bike a bit of a noise amplifier--shifting is quite noisy, and if I have any creaking or problems like that, they're really exaggerated and kind of hard to track down. I did get used to the shifting noise eventually, but it was surprising at first.

Great looking bike, too--at least the matte black one I have looks great to me. As Cricket says, many of the older ones were not clearcoated because Cinelli was doing the "matte finish" thing. I think newer ones are glossy and clearcoated, but most of the 2002-2004 ones I've seen are matte, with no coating over the decals.

The bike seemed long to me. I prefer my top tubes shorter than most, but compared to other standard bikes, it still seemed a bit long.

Once you get to a certain level of frame quality, I think components and fit make a bigger difference in your perception of the bike. The Proxima is good enough to put it into that category. If you get one that fits well, and has decent components on it tuned properly, it's just a matter of whether you like the ride quality of modern aluminum frames.

I think you could do a lot worse for a first "real" bike. If you're already riding a decent quality bike, though, you might not find the Proxima to be much of an upgrade.

If I were looking for a bike for shorter, intense efforts like a time trial or criterium, I'd buy it again. As I don't have much interest in that kind of riding, I'm going with steel for the foreseeable future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonF
    I've always been intrigued by the frames, but I'm not even sure they make them in-house. Can anyone comment on ride quality, etc? Thanks in advance.
    Am not sure which Cinelli you are looking at.

Cinelli makes one of the finest Italian steel road bikes, the SuperCorsa. Handling is quick but stable at speeds. They still make them in Italy.

I cannot comment on the aluminum frames as I haven't owned one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by midlife_xs's
    Am not sure which Cinelli you are looking at.

Cinelli makes one of the finest Italian steel road bikes, the SuperCorsa. Handling is quick but stable at speeds. They still make them in Italy.

I cannot comment on the aluminum frames as I haven't owned one.
    Actually, I am interested in a Supercorsa...can you give me details about the ride? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonF
    Actually, I am interested in a Supercorsa...can you give me details about the ride? Thanks!
    I have a SuperCorsa I bought 1988. Firstly they are a bit conservative as far as paint is concern. Where the Tomassini, Moser, Colnago and Bottechia have multi-paint designs, the SuperCorsa comes in only one color. The frame however has generous chrome in the chainstays, seatstays and of course the lugs. Mine has the SL/Slx tubes with the trademark fastback seatstays and sloping crown on the fork - a Cinelli exclusive. These features were first introduced by Cino Cinelli on a frame he made for Fausto Coppi for the 1947 Tour de France.

About the ride; typically a race bike, it felt quicker, nimbler, more responsive than a Kestrel I used to own. I also thought it was a tad responsive than my Colnago Arabesque. Even with this trait, I felt confident negotiating a twisty downhill at speeds as it stuck to the curves. That put a big smile in my face after the run.

here are links to Cino Cinelli story:

http://www.petry.org/markp/lastoria.htm

http://www.cinelli.it/eng/chi_siamo/radici/index.html
    Last edited by midlife_xs's; 06-25-2005 at 02:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Midlife....a Supercorsa in Ferrari Red is quite nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    GVH still has some. If you get a brand new one from an LBS, they are horribly overpriced!
    Pretty much here just to piss you off...