Best Carbon Fork?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Best Carbon Fork?

Hi Kids,

I have a new/used Merckx Majestic ti. It has a brand new Look HSC3 fork. To now I have only had steel bikes with steel forks and have never considered that others might be different.

Well, the Look fork seems real flexi and makes the bike seem mushy, especially while climbing out of the saddle. I got the fork for free, so I cannot really complain, but I now have found out that the Look HSC3 is considered something of a flexible fork.

I have checked the reviews here and found that the Reynolds Ouzo Pro is considrered stiffer. How 'bout it? Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saab2000
    Hi Kids,

I have a new/used Merckx Majestic ti. It has a brand new Look HSC3 fork. To now I have only had steel bikes with steel forks and have never considered that others might be different.

Well, the Look fork seems real flexi and makes the bike seem mushy, especially while climbing out of the saddle. I got the fork for free, so I cannot really complain, but I now have found out that the Look HSC3 is considered something of a flexible fork.

I have checked the reviews here and found that the Reynolds Ouzo Pro is considrered stiffer. How 'bout it? Any thoughts?

I happen to like the HSC3 so to each his own. Mine is a 1-1/8" steerer and I weigh 165# so your mileage may vary.

Ouzo Pro may be slightly stiffer but it's not known as a super stiff fork per say. For super stiff, try Woundup, Kestral, or the standard model Alpha Q - not sub 3.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Nessism; 05-31-2005 at 02:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Not much difference

I had a LS Classic w/ HSC3 fork that I traded in for a Majestic with an Reynolds OP. I haven't noticed any difference up front. IME, the BB area feels stiffer on the Majestic (no chain rub). I attribute that to the manipulated tubeset on the Majestic. I always thought that the Look fork was top-notch. Are you sure that it's the fork that's flexing and not the wheels?

Feb 2004
    No flex on my HSC 3 either.... what are you doing to your bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Maybe it just takes some time to get used to it. I am used to steel forks on all my other bikes. I will try the bike with another set of wheels which are known to be fairly stiff. That might help. Also, it will probably get new bars. We'll see.

Apr 2005
    the HSC3 fork has a stronger strength to weight ratio than all but 4 other forks on the market and 2 of those are the HSC4 and HSC5
    i think you are just used to a steel harsher ride perhaps?